Search for content in message boards

FORD AUTO WORKERS SENT TO RUSSIA 1932

FORD AUTO WORKERS SENT TO RUSSIA 1932

Bob Sparks (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2006 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Sparks
MY GRANDFATHER ROY T. SPARKS WORKED FOR FORD BACK IN THE 1920'S AND POSSIBLY INTO THE 1930'S, DISEAPPEARING WITHOUT A TRACE. AM TRYING TO TRACK DOWN THE NAMES OF THE EMPLOYEES THAT HENRY FORD SENT TO RUSSIA TO BUILD AUTO PLANTS, THEY NEVER RETURNED, BELIEVED MANY DIED IN STALINS GULAGS, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO. PLEASE CONTACT.

Re: FORD AUTO WORKERS SENT TO RUSSIA 1932

Posted: 25 Nov 2006 1:26AM GMT
Hi Bob,

This link if I read it right mentions a book that might have a answer for you. It covers the years 1929 /1933. also notice the link reads that they all returned. Hope I understood your query ?? and answered right.

Mary
no relation

JSTOR: Technical Assistance of the American Enterprises to the ...The Russian Review gave Russia full rights to make, sell, and use Ford units and machinery and to ... and all Ford employees returned to the United States

Posted: 25 Nov 2006 1:28AM GMT
Sorry forgot to add link-hope it took??

Mary

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&...

Bob Sparks (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2006 3:32PM GMT
Thanks Mary for the reply, but am unsure whether any of them returned, my Dad used to tell me about this, here is a book written by the son of this lady whose father a ford worker was sent to the Gulag with many others:
In the mid-eighties, I took the Trans-Siberian Express round-trip across the Ukraine, Russia, and Siberia. I fell in love with this weary, but beautiful land and people, and in the years since I've continued to follow their struggles in the news.

"Dancing Under the Red Star" reveals a relatively unknown portion of modern history, following one woman's arrest and imprisonment in Stalin's prison camps. The astonishing thing is that she was an American, one of a number of families that went to Gorky to work for the Ford Motor Company. Her family goes through years of trouble and harrassment, and Maggie's stamina in the face of these events is admirable. With a competitive sports background, she turns into a tough cookie in the prison system, surviving on determination, sly wisdom, and a growing faith.

Penned by her son, yet revealed through her eyes, "Dancing Under the Red Star" never tries to be a literary masterpiece; instead, it's an endearing and inspiring tale of endurance, love, and raw perseverance. One particular scene, in a Siberian outhouse of all places, moved me unexpectedly. Other scenes still play through my thoughts. If you like biographical stories of true-life survival, if you like tidbits of little-known history, if you enjoy reading of times and places that make you once again thankful for the country in which we live, than this is one book you won't want to miss.

Posted: 6 Nov 2009 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Miska
My grandfather Andrew L Miska went to Russia to work for Ford Motor and never returned. He sent some letters but they have been lost and there were few to begin with. I would appreciate any help. Have read THE FORSAKEN. I don't think many came back.

Posted: 7 Nov 2009 12:16AM GMT
Did you try contacting the Ford Motor Company or the Benson Ford Research Center at The Henry Ford (formerly Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum) in Dearborn.

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/index.aspx

I tried to find out something about when my Dad worked at the Rouge Plant in the late 1930s (didn't have anything) and this is the place that I contacted back in 2007. Not sure if the address is still good.

FMC archives, 14441 Rotunda Drive, Schaefer Court 3, Suite 3, Dearborn, MI 48120 per Mr. Jamie Myler at 16 2007.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 8:36PM GMT
Is this topic still alive?
I'm really interested in this topic and also have some answers.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 12:17PM GMT
Surnames: Herman
I dont know if you are still looking for information or have already found out what you need to know but look into the book coming out of the ice by Victor Herman he made it back he was a son of one of the families send by Ford.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions