Search for content in message boards

Crew Lists - searchability

Crew Lists - searchability

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am starting on a new set of Liverpool crew lists. I am trying to follow the instructions exactly. There is no 'registry date' information, but there is a ship name, Lake Erie, but nowhere to put it on the form.

If I'm not supposed to enter birth years unless that field is filled in on the image, and I'm not supposed to infer the 'registry year' from the 'Date, Place or Cause of Leaving the Ship' column, how are these records going to be searchable? There will be no way to search on a ship's name or the year in which this voyage occured.

Re: Crew Lists - searchability

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:01PM GMT
I believe that information such as the ship's name and year is going to be added at the "processing" stage, Sheri.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:07PM GMT
Thank you, that's good to know. In my opinion, however, those two items should be included in the 'Header' area. Just a thought. Every crew list will have come from a certain ship, and pertain to a certain voyage.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:29PM GMT
Yes. It turns out that in this particular case that that information has already been indexed. As has the name of the shipmaster.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 9:02AM GMT
If you look at the Glasgow Crew Lists which have just gone online, hopefully the Liverpool ones are going to work the same way:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2895
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions