Search for content in message boards

Six Hays Brothers from Donegal, IRE to PA/VA around 1725

Six Hays Brothers from Donegal, IRE to PA/VA around 1725

Posted: 22 Sep 2005 3:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hays
I am trying to establish a credible, provable sibling link between six (alleged) brothers, all Hays' that were born in Donegal Co., Ireland in the early 1700's.

They were have said to have immigrated from Londonderry to Philadelphia around 1725-1728. In the 1751 Tax list for Londonderry township, Lancaster Co., PA, Hugh Hays, John Hays, John Hays, Patrick Hays and William Hays are listed. In the 1780 slave registration for Lancaster County, William Hays, Patrick Hays, Robert Hays, David Hays, Nancy Hays, Pat Hays and Robert Hays are listed again in the Londonderry Township.

These brothers are also to have had two sisters, one married a Buchanan and a Morrison.

John Hays, b. 1704; married Jane Love; died 1789 in Northampton Co., PA

Patrick Hays, b. 1705; married Jane/Jean McKnight; died 1790 Dauphin Co., PA

Hugh Hays, b. 1707; married Mary; died 1779 in Lancaster Co., PA

William Hays, b. 1709; married Elizabeth Hawkins (?);

David Hays, b. 1710; married Jane Love (?); died 1776 in Augusta, Virginia

James Hays, b. 1711; marriage unknown; died 1751.

There is a possibility that there father was named William Grimes Hays. Any information would be helpful.

Re: Six Hays Brothers from Donegal, IRE to PA/VA around 1725

Posted: 23 Sep 2005 10:53AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2006 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hays,Myers
My ggg-grandfather was Samuel M. Hays. He was born in Donegal, Ireland in 1776 - a little later than the folks you asked about in your query, but I bet they're related somehow.

It is supposed that 'my' Samuel's HAYS family immigrated from Scotland into Ireland because of religious persecution. He came to US when 17 yrs old, in 1793 with 'his father's family'; oldest child in family. Two of his sisters died of yellow fever on the 13-wk voyage from Ireland. . A brother, John HAYS, was one of the family coming over, too. They landed at Wilmington, DE and then first settled in Mifflin Co., PA.; then settled in Huntingdon Co., PA, around the turn of the century. Manor Hill, Barree Twp., Huntingdon Co., PA. - halfway on straight line between State College and Huntingdon; was a cooper and owned a tavern in inn in above locale. Moved to Venango Co., PA later in life - is buried in Sunville, PA.

I don't know his father's name for sure - I have notes that his name may have been John.

I realize this didn't prove or disprove anything--but the reference to HAYS and Donegal Ireland caused me to write--maybe you'll find info about "my" line sometime along the way and remember me!

Thanks -- Pat (Hays) Roberts - Aiken, SC

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Haye - Hayes -Bell - Cotten - Rutland - Williams- Godwin
My ancestors are from Northampton County, North Carolina. They descended from Hays-Hayews around Isle of Wight, VA. We would like some information on the six (6) brothers from Donegal.
There are long standing family legends that our earliest US Hays came to America from Ireland as a bound servant. Please respond to jehays@donobi.net
Thak you

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 6:50AM GMT
Surnames: Hays, hayes
I am descended from Patrick Hayes and Jean McKnight. I can tell you where they are buried, and also their descendants to my time.

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hays, Grove
I am working on family history for John Hays b. 1780 Fannett, Donegal, Ireland; died 1858 Oakland, Venango, Pennsylvania, USA. John's father's name was Hugh; his mother was Eleanor. I would be very intersted in learning more about the six Hays brothers, as I feel they may be linked to the Hays line I am following.

I am intersted in any information on James Hays b. 28 Jan 1866 Polk, Venango, Pennsylvania, USA. Md. Clara Bell Grove 18 Apr 1890 at Franklin, Venango, Pennsylvania, USA. I know of one son, Boyd F. b. 13 Jan 1903 Coraopolis, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA; d. 24 Apr 1945 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA.

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hays, Broadfoot, Gilliland, Peters
I have a Hugh Hays + "Eleanor" with question marks as the parents of John Hays b 1790 Ireland, died 1858 Venango Co., PA. I have another of John's brothers as Samuel Hays, b 01 July 1782 in Ireland, dying 01 Jul 1858 in Franklin, Venango Co., PA. Samuel married Agnes Broadfoot who died 1839. The data for this Samuel Hays comes from the 1890 History of Venango County, City of Franklin, pages 348-350. I have this book and will send it to you if you wish.

There was another Samuel Hays who was born Donegal Ireland in 1776 and came to America 1793 with his father's family. There seemed to be 6 children in this family (3 sons, 3 daughters), too, and their father might have been a John Hays, too. The family first settled in Huntingdon Co., PA. This Samuel eventually settled in Plum Twp., Venango Co., and I descend from him. He had a son James Hays born in Huntingdon Co., PA 1810, m Eliza Gilliland abt 1838 and died 1884 in Venango Co., PA. They lived in the vicinity of Polk, Venango Co., PA

Polk was where my dad (Harry Hays) was born in 1907, and where his parents (J Newell Hays + Celestia Peters Hays) lived for most of their married life. My grandfather's name was James J. Hays 1844-1904) and he had a hardware store in Polk.

There probably is a link between these two Venango Co. Hays families (the Samuel who was the 'city--Franklin' one and the Samuel who was the 'town--Sunville, Plum Twp") I just haven't found it yet.

Feel free to write--perhaps we can untangle this!

Pat Hays Roberts

Posted: 25 Apr 2008 12:50PM GMT
I have a different birthdate for Samuel Hays b. 9 Oct 1783 Fannett, Donegal, Ireland; d. 01 Jul 1858 Franklin, Venango, PA. Can you give me an ISBN # for the "1890 History of Venango County" or author/publisher information? I may be able to access it through the genealogy library in my area.

The above Samuel's brother John Hays b. 1790 Fannett, Donegal, Ireland; d. 1858 Oakland, Venango, PA , married Hannah /McClain/ b. abt 1790 in Scotland. They had nine children: Samuel b. 1805, Robert b. 1807, Mary b. 1809, Nathaniel b. 1910, Margaret b. 16 Feb 1816 Westmoreland County, PA d. 25 Feb 1907 Harmony, Butler, PA buried Oakland, Venango, PA, Hannah b. Oct 1818, Jane b. 1822, John Bradford Hays b. 1824 d. 18 Mar 1904 Troy Center, Venango, PA, and William b. 1830.

John Bradford Hays is our ancestor.

Our Polk connections are (alphabetically):
Grove, Lillian M. b. 19 Jun 1886
Hays, Alex Thomas b. 28 Jul 1905
Hays, Charlotte Theo b. 19 Jun 1903
Hays, James W. b. 28 Jan 1866
Hays, John Bradford (buried at Old Sandy Cemetery) d. 18 Mar 1904
Hays, Sarah Susan b. 29 Jul 1904
FcFadden, Sarah (md John Bradford Hays) buried 1889 at Sandycreek Cemetery

Any of these sound familiar?

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Hays, Rhinesmith, Reinschmit, Kell, Kennedy
My Hays line may be linked in here also. Grandmother Clara Hays-Alinda, Perry, PA married John W. Rhinesmith. Her parents were David Clark Hays and Alice Kell also of Alinda. David clark was the son of Dr. Wm. G. Hays married to Mary Clark from Ireland. Most of my ancestors both Hays, Kell, Kennedy and Rhinesmith were originally in and around Perry and Northampton counties.

Posted: 16 May 2008 4:44PM GMT
I am the 2nd great grandson of Abner Hays, born 1805 in Adams or Franklin County, PA. He married Anna Marie Leiter of Leiterburg, MD. Their children were; James Abner, Martin L., Ann, Elizabeth Jane, Melinda, Louise Catherine, and Clara. Abner Hays died in Leitersburg in 1852, and is buried in the cemetery of the Lutheran Church in Leitersburg. I have been trying to find who Abner's parents and siblings were. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Hays

Posted: 25 May 2008 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: hays
i am trying to find info on my gfather harry s hays b 8/28 1895 in pa on my fathers death cert. states middle names as scott i know nothing of this side of the family want to know who his parents / siblings. all i can find is sa a yoyng boy he went to live with reuben / amanda keiper in pa other children i think went to live other keipers what family are the keipers to the hayss.harry senior went to wv married cecil gross mcmullin had 2 sons harry f / howard .then left the family moved to live with c nixford in wv .i would be very greatful for your help. my dad died wanting to find his dad .i eant to do thst in memory of my dad .thank you for your time. frankie825@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic