Search for content in message boards

John Morton born 1762? County Antrim, Ireland

John Morton born 1762? County Antrim, Ireland

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morton, Peden, McGill
John Morton born 1762 at Broughshire, Ballymena Parish, County Antrim, Ireland. Parents Father a Scotchman John Morton, his mother Irish Jane Peden. They immigrated to America around 1768. It is said the father had problems with the authorities and was injured when they left for America. Any info? Jane Paden is the dau of John Paden who married Margaret "Peggy" McGill. Thanks, Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com

Re: John Morton born 1762? County Antrim, Ireland

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:01PM GMT
Surnames: Morton and Magill
Hi

You may already be aware of this thread but I thought I would post it just in case, re Morton and Magill

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=91436.0

Maggie

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:23PM GMT
thank you so much! I noticed the website http://www.wham.org/TomWhamHistory.htm and found it to have a lot of information for Peden/Morton and that is the history I am trying to find. It has this"a tendency of intermarriage within a religious community is supported when you view John Morton marrying Mary Peden on 22 Sept 1725 in Sorn, Ayshire, Scotland" And then you can gather from the history or histories many of the Peden/McGill families have that those in Scotland that sought relief from persecution went across the border into Ireland and this looks like what has occurred. "Their son James Morton 1730 in Broughshane, Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland married Jane Peden and all their children ended up in Fairview, Greenville, S.C." And this is probably the father of the John I have listed on my post! Hoever since it is the Peden/Morton branch I am researching I can differ on all their children ending up in S.C. And the book The Pedens in America page 107 explains about Chester County, PA where some families went including James Peden and Jane Peden Morton. After her husband dies she takes her 5 Morton children and heads southward-that is to S.C. where her parents and family are. I believe there wasn't a date for the marriage of James and Jane Peden Morton-do you know what it could be and if any of their children were born in Ireland. I thinks so since the Peden history lists dates from 1768 to 1772. Any ideas? Thanks so much, Cindy

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 3:05PM GMT
I wanted to thank you for the info. I also have a post for the info for this thread at the Morton Family site. I rec'd a post that is in conflict with the info at the site. The author of the post talks about a new Peden book and the old one being obselete and lists some info but does not list her sources-par for someone doing a book! So I am having problems still with the parents of John Morton b 1762. The site you refer me to has responses from where? Cindy

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 3:48PM GMT
Hi

It is rootschat.com a free site which is fantastic. Once you join you will be able to comment and receive messages after posting 3 posts.

Maggie

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:43PM GMT
I did get the marriage of John Morton to Mary Peadin in the parish of Sorn on 2nd Sept 1725 confirmed. But there are no records available for me to confirm the info concerning the parent of John Morton, b 1762 county Antrim, Ireland. And there are no records for the marriage also listed at the site I found the marriage record, and the listing of their son "James Morton 1730 who married Jane Peden" also listed in this site for Tom Whams history that includes the Peden history and some of the Morton history. In records here it is John Peden not James and it depends on who is doing the post or writing the history I guess! I will try the site. Thanks, Cindy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Morton, Wakefield
I have registered and I am waiting to be able to use the wensite. In the meantime are you related to John Morton or just referring me to Tom Whams history for info on the Mortons? I did get the marriage of John Morton to Mary Peadin confirmed at the website scotland people. This is supposingly the parents of James Morton b 1730 antrim, Ireland? who married Jane Peden. Is this why you refer me to rootschat or is it because of my numerous post that deal with Morton/Wakefield and the reference to John Morton, the signer of the D of I that most family trees in ancestry, archives, family serch, etc refer me to? This is a family story shown by info for David Morton, their son, page 207 The Pedens in America, and their son John Morton, record for The Offical roster of the soldiers of the American Revolution buried in the state of Ohio as is posted at the beginning of this thread? You see I have spent much time researching Mortons in regard to Elizabeth Morton Wakefield and most trees list her as the dau of John Morton, the signer, and this is absolutely false but no one really cares. They want to be related to a signer of the D of I. I disproved this to the Societys who benefit from such descendants. My post at rootsweb- Wakefield Morton families will show you this. However amazingly I have a record of a John Morton, DAR ancestor # A081813 that shows a different John Morton born in Ireland that his service is listed as 1) member of the Comm of 100 2)del to provincial congress. And I have the records to prove this service but no one really cares! and if you look at the Pedens in America page 207 you will find David Morton, the son of John and Jane Peden Morton referencing his father as the brother of the signer of the D of I. And then we have the son this post is about who also refers to midnight meeting concerning the D of I and I believe it is a family story that is leading me not to John Morton, the real signer, they say, from Ridley, Chester Co., Pa who most people will tell you is the father of my Elizabeth Morton. However if you ignore all that and Chester Co., Pa you will find a record of marriage for Thomas Wakefield whose spouse is listed as Elizabeth Morton, marriage date 1785, and spouse birth date is 1765. And then you will find an immigration record for John Morton (39) and Jane Peden Morton (26) who emigrated in 1767-1768 with their 3 children David 7, John 7, Elizabeth 2. And these records match if you do away with the family story told in David's story in the Peden history page 207 and in John Morton's Rev War record I cite for this thread. Elizabeth Morton's history has been lost to her descendants who want her to be the dau of John Morton, the signer, from Ridley, Chester Co., Pa. and they do not care if his dau Elizabeth died from consumption UNMARRIED at her brothers home Aaron previous home to John Morton. It doesn't matter if you look at family trees they even have the gall to attach the marriage record that shows the spouse as being born in 1765-they list 1760-to match up with Elizabeth the dau of the signer John Morton. And there is no marriage record for 1779 in Chester County, Pa just look! And no birth record either. And no one care about the ancestor record from the DAR database ancestor #081813-for a John Morton born in Ireland-closer to being a descendant of Elizabeth Morton than the ancestor # 081814-Johh Morton, Ridley, Chester County, Pa record. Do you understand? And no I still cannot get on rootschat. Try and chat with me-same email account. Cindy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 2:00AM GMT
I am on it now! Cindy

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 10:33PM GMT
I have been registered and have done some posts. However after being in the chatroom for numerous times it is more like a coffee house chat room. Sorry but no one really seems like they are doing research just chatting and new people like me try but are referred to people not logged in, etc. And I have had posts moved etc because they duplicate ones that are not related-like your Morton MacGill-none of the answers are really there and I tried to ask questions in the chat room and I can see others like me getting the same type of responses and just log out. Cindy

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:56AM GMT
send me a message fruitytooty and we can discuss some Irish history-maybe this would help the gossip and what are you doing room.
Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions