Search for content in message boards

Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick SMITH born abt. 1878 in Wymondham and died in 1952, Poringland

Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick SMITH born abt. 1878 in Wymondham and died in 1952, Poringland

Terry Weller (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2002 4:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jun 2013 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Taylor
I am trying to research my mothers family "Smith". No easy task. I am aware of my grandfather's (Donald Oscar Smith) brother Ernest who was born abt. 1878 in Wymondham, Norfolk and died in 1952, Poringland, Norfolk. I am aware that his wife (#2) was Florence Taylor and they had one son and one daughter. Other of Ernest's brothers are Sydney (abt. 1876), W. Charles G. (abt. 1873), Claude, Irene, Mabel, Percival John (abt. 1877), Ronald, Thomas Malcolm Campbell, Victor, Reginald A. (abt. 1880) and Jack Montague (Nov 2, 1892). Any help in trying to locate information or next of kin is greatly appreciated.

Re: Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick Smith

Posted: 1 Mar 2002 12:34AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2004 3:28PM GMT
This is the 1881 census. Any help ?
Dwelling: Market Street
Census Place: Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Source: FHL Film 1341471 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1956 Folio 90 Page 8
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
George William Gates SMITH M 31 M Norwich, Norfolk, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Jeweller
Mary SMITH M 31 F London, Middlesex, England
Rel: Wife
W.Charles G. SMITH 8 M Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Sydney W. SMITH 5 M Wymondham, Norfolk, England
P.John SMITH 4 M Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Ernest G.P. SMITH 2 M Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Reginald A. SMITH 1 M Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Clara Lucy ROE U 20 F Aylsham, Norfolk, England
Rel: Visitor

Terry Weller (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2002 5:58AM GMT
Yes it is a help. I appreciate you looking this up for me. Now if I could just grab a real living family member, oh my, what a dreamer. Thanks again.

Terry

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 2:14AM GMT
Hi Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick Smith is my grandfather.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 12:13AM GMT
Thanks for getting back to me, just noticed your response today. Not sure if you have any info to share or would like any info for yourself. Trying to work back through the Smith side of the family and get stopped and our grandfather's father, George William Gates Smith. Stories talk about him being a child out of wedlock. Love to share info, if you wish you mail email me off line,

Re: Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick SMITH born abt. 1878 in Wymondham and died in 1952, Poringland

Posted: 29 Nov 2013 12:52PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 29 Nov 2013 1:50PM GMT
Hello Terry,

I’m not a descendant, but I located information about the early years of George William Gates Smith. For example, I found him listed as George W. G. Smith in the 1871 census living in the household of his grandparents, 77 year old George, and 77 year old Susan Smith, in an address of the Trowel & Hammer, Whitehart Street, East Harling, Norfolk. George the grandfather is shown to be a bricklayer and inn keeper who was born in East Harling. His wife Susan was born in Quidenham, Norfolk. The Trowel and Hammer would be the inn or public house that George the elder and his wife Susan ran.

George W. G. Smith is shown to be a 21 year old watch maker born in Norwich, Norfolk. Also in the Smith household in the 1871 census are two lodgers. These are 69 year old drover, James Asburn, born Bury St. Edmund, Suffolk, and James Diper, also a drover who was born in Weeton, Norfolk.

The census shows that the section of Whitehart Street in East Harling where the Smith family had their inn, connected with the Fenn Road, present day Fen Lane. I’ll have more on this later.

The 1871 census transcription below is from Ancestry.com, as are all the other census enumerations you see in this reply:

1871 England Census

Civil Parish: East Harling
Ecclesiastical parish: Norwich

Town: East Harling

Street: Whitehart St. (Trowel & Hammer)

County/Island: Norfolk
Registration District: Guiltcross

Sub-registration District: Kenninghall
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Household Schedule Number: 85

Piece: 1840
Folio: 12
Page Number: 16

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

George Smith, Head, Married, Male, 77, Bricklayer & Inn Keeper, Norfolk East Harling
Susan Smith, Wife, Married, Female, 77, Norfolk Quidenham
George W G Smith, Grandson, Unmarried, Male, 21, Watch Maker, Norfolk Norwich
James Asburn, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 69, Drover, Suffolk Bury St. Edmund
James Diper, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 25, Drover, Norfolk Weeton

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1840; Folio: 12; Page: 16; GSU roll: 838808.
____

The following norfolkpubs link shows the succession of License Owners of the Trowel & Hammer pub, beginning with George Smith, who owned it from 1841 to 1871. There is also a photo of the pub taken circa 1925, with the owner, Harriet Ashford and her daughter Hilda Bass standing in the front of the entrance:. See:

http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolke/eastharling/ehartah.ht...

The building you see in the photo, though rebuilt in 1910, would have been the location where George William Gates Smith, likely grew up.

To see a Google Map of East Harling and what I believe is the location of the former Trowel and Hammer Inn on White Hart Street, go to: http://tinyurl.com/na36s2s

Once at the map you’ll see the letter A pointing to 53 White Hart Street in East Harling. Just to the right of the letter A you’ll see Fen Lane. I believe this would be the same Fenn Road I noted in the 1871 census as being the next street after the Trowel and Hammer Inn.

On the map click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” thumbnail photo, then click on the photo to enlarge it, and you’ll be dropped off on the road in front of 53 White Hart Street. If you compare the image of the house on the Google Map, with the photo of the Inn at the norfolkpubs website, you’ll see they look the same, only in the old photo the house is brick, while in the Google Map, the house has been covered in stucco.

If you take a virtual tour past the house you’ll see that one side of the structure is actually on Fen Lane, which appears to be a gravel road..

I next looked for George William Gates Smith in the 1861 census to see if he was enumerated with his parents. I found 12 year old George Smith in the 1861 census. Like the 1871 census this enumeration shows he is living in the household of his grandparents, 68 year old George Smith, employed as a bricklayer and beer house keeper, and his 68 year old wife Susanna. The older and the younger George Smith were born in East Harling. Susanna was born in Quidenham, Norfolk.

The address of the Smith household in the 1861 census is White Hart St., Trowel & Hammer:

1861 England Census

Address: White Hart St., Trowel & Hammer

Household Schedule Number: 101
Piece: 1236
Folio: 89
Page Number: 17

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

George Smith, Head, Married, Male, 68, Bricklayer & Beer House, Norfolk East Harling
Susanna Smith, Wife, Married, Female, 68, Norfolk Quidenham
George Smith, Grandson, Male, 12, Scholar, Norfolk Norwich

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1236; Folio: 89; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542781.
____

I next looked for George and Susanna/Susan Smith and their grandson George in the 1851 census. I located 58 year old George and his 58 year old wife Susan, and their 1 year old grandson George living in Whitehart Street, East Harling. The census shows the older George Smith was employed as a bricklayer and born in East Harling. Susan was born in Quidenham. Along with their 1 year old grandson George, who was born in Norwich, there is a 20 year old Hannah Smith in the household. She is George and Susan’s daughter, who was born in East Harling. After locating this census I had a suspicion that Hannah may have been the mother of 1 year old George Smith. More on that later.

The 1851 census also shows there are 4 lodgers in the Smith household, whose surnames are Landres, Wevell, and Crock:

1851 England Census

Address: Whitehart St.

Sub-registration District: Banham
ED, institution, or vessel: 9b
Household Schedule Number: 58
Piece: 1822
Folio: 354
Page Number: 14

George Smith, Head, Married, Male, 58, Bricklayer, Norfolk East Harling
Susan Smith, Wife, Married, Female, 58, Beer House, Norfolk Quidenham
Hannah Smith, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 20, Norfolk East Harling
George Gates Smith, Grandson, Male, 1, Norfolk St. George Norwich
Samuel Landres, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 26, Shoe Maker, Norfolk Eccels
Homery Wevell, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 26, ? Derbyshire ?
William Crock, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 54, Labourer, Norfolk East Harling
Henary Crock, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 62, Labourer, Norfolk East Harling

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1822; Folio: 354; Page: 14; GSU roll: 207476.
____

I then wanted to see if I could find the birth and or baptism record for the younger George Smith, who is shown to be 1 year old in 1851. I located his baptism index at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) FamilySearch website at:
https://familysearch.org/

The index shows that George Gates Smith was baptized in East “Harding,” Norfolk, on 21 October 1849. The name of the town where George was baptized was transcribed incorrectly as, “East Harding,” rather than East Harling.

George’s mother is listed as Hannah Smith. No father is named in the baptism index, which was compiled by the LDS staff from the Bishop’s Transcripts of the Church of England’s Archdeaconry of Norfolk.

The index follows:

George Gates Smith, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: George Gates Smith

Event Type: Christening
Event Date: 21 Oct 1849
Event Place: East Harding, Norfolk, England
Marital Status:
Birth Year (Estimated):

Father's Name:
Mother's Name: Hannah Smith

Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:

GS Film Number: 1526658 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norfolk, 1686-1941
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norfolk; Norfolk and Norwich Record Office
(Norwich, England)

Digital Folder Number: 004033336
Image Number: 424

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27HL-5DV : accessed 16 Nov 2013), George Gates Smith, 1849.
____

Attached to the LDS baptism index is a copy of the original baptism record for Charles Gates Smith, showing he was born on May 19, 1849, and baptized in the East Harling Parish Church on October 21, 1849. He is listed as the “illegitimate son,” of Hannah Smith. Hannah Smith’s “Abode,” or address, is listed as Harling. The clergyman who baptized George Gates Smith was T.B. Wilkinson.

I’ve transcribed the baptism record from a copy of the original, which you can see below:

(Page 57)

BAPTISMS Solemnized in the Parish of East Harling
in the County of Norfolk in the year 1849

When Baptized: 1849. Born May 19. Bapt. Oct 21. No. 409
Child’s Christian Name: George Gates, illegitimate son of
Parents’ Names: Hannah Smith
Abode: Harling
Quality, Trade, or Profession:
By whom the ceremony was Performed: T.B. Wilkinson
____

Also Terry, I have attached a copy of the original baptism record for George Gates Smith to this reply so that you can see what it looks like.

The Parish Church in East Harling is called St. Peter and St. Paul, located on Church Road. To see the church on a Google Map of East Harling, go to: http://tinyurl.com/ppcacqm

On the map the letter A is pointing to the Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” image, then click on the image to enlarge it, and you’ll be dropped off in front of the church. This is where George Gates Smith was baptized on 21 October 1849.

Also see the following links pertaining to the St. Peter & St. Paul Church of England in East Harling:
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/eastharling/eastharling.htm
http://www.norfolkstainedglass.co.uk/east_harling/home.shtm
http://www.themcs.org/churches/East%20Harling%20St%20Peter%2...

I next looked for the civil birth index for George William Gates Smith or George Gates Smith at the FreeBMD website at: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

The 1851, 1861 and 1871 census enumerations show that George Smith was born in Norwich, not East Harling. The baptism record shows George was born on 19 May 1849. May falls within the second quarter, or June quarter of the year. I didn’t find a civil birth index for a George William Gates Smith, or a George Gates Smith recorded in the May quarter of 1849 in Norwich. It’s possible his birth may not have been recorded, as it wasn’t mandatory to record births, marriages, and deaths in England and Wales until the year 1865.

But in any event, though George may have been born in Norwich, he wasn’t baptized there, but baptized over five months later in the town of birth of his mother Hannah and his grandfather George. This town is East Harling.

Hannah would have likely gone to Norwich to have the baby and then return sometime thereafter. What her parents would have thought about their daughter having a child born out of wedlock, you can only guess at. In light of the fact that George’s middle names were William and Gates, are you aware of anyone in your ancestry who may have been a Gates?

I now wanted to see if I could locate Hannah Smith and her parents George and Susan in the 1841 census. This census, I thought, may also show other children that George and Susan may have had along with their daughter Hannah. I located the Smith family in the 1841 census in Whitehart Street. The census shows that 45 year old George was a bricklayer. In the household with him is his 45 year old wife Susan. The children in the household are 20 year old Robert; 15 year old Solomon, employed as a bricklayer like his father; and 10 year old “Hannar.” Also in the household is 15 year old Henerey Line, working as an agricultural labourer; 6 year old Emma Line, and 20 year old John Peck.

As you will see later, I found evidence that Henery Line and Emma Line’s surnames may have actually been Ling, rather than Line:

The 1841 census asks if a person had been born in the county where the census was enumerated, or in Scotland, Ireland, or Foreign Parts. If a person answered Yes to this question, they were born in the county where they were enumerated, in this case, Norfolk:

1841 England Census

Hundred: Guilt Cross

Piece: 775
Book: 5
Folio: 26
Page Number: 8

Name, Age, Sex, Occupation, Whether Born in Same County, Whether Born in Scotland, Ireland, or Foreign Parts

George Smith, 45, Male, Bricklayer, Yes
Susan Smith, 45, Female, Yes
Robert Smith, 20, Male, ?, Yes
Solomon Smith, 15, Male, Bricklayer
Hannar Smith, 10, Female, Yes
Henery Line, 15, Male, Ag Lab, Yes
Emma Line, 6, Female, Yes
John Peck, 20, Male, Carpenter, Yes

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 775; Book: 5; Civil Parish: East Harling; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 26; Page: 8; Line: 16; GSU roll: 438861.
____

After locating the Smith family in the 1841 census, I found copies of the original baptism records for three children of George and Susan Smith. These records show that Susan’s maiden name was Ling. In the 1841 census above, you’ll see in the household with George and Susan, 15 year old Henery Line and 6 year old Emma Line. I suspect their surnames were Ling rather than Line, and that they were blood relations of Susan, rather than related to her through marriage.

The baptism records for the three Smith children are for Robert (1818); Solomon (1824); and Hannah (1830). The three children were baptized in the Parish Church of East Harling, which would refer to the St. Peter & St. Paul Church of England.. Their father George’s occupation is listed as bricklayer. The birthdates of the three children are also listed in their baptism records. Two of the three children were baptized by the curate, T.B. Wilkinson:

[ Page 20 ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of East Harling,
in the County of Norfolk, in the Year 1819

When Baptized: Febay 7th.
Born Oct 2nd 1818
No.155
Child's Christian Name: Robert son of
Parents Name: George Smith & Susannah late Ling
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Brick layer
By whom the Ceremony was performed: F T Bird, Curate

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CX-3P4 : accessed 16 Nov 2013), Robert Smith, 1819.
____

[ Page ]

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of East Harling
in the County of Norfolk, in the Year 1824

Born Sept 11, Bapt Oct. 3
No.305
Child's Christian Name: Solomon son of
Parents Name: George Smith & Susan late Ling
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Brick layer
By whom the Ceremony was performed: T.B. Wilkinson, Curate

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9KV-3BY : accessed 16 Nov 2013), Solomon Smith, 1824.
____

[ Page 62 ]

in the County of Norfolk, in the Year 1830

Born Aug 18, Bapt Sept 12
No.495
Child's Christian Name: Hannah Daughter of
Parents Name: George Smith & Susan late Ling
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Bricklayer
By whom the Ceremony was performed: T.B. Wilkinson Rector

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CJ-MFS : accessed 16 Nov 2013), Hannah Smith, 1830.
____

I then found an LDS baptism index, but not a copy of an original baptism record for a David Smith, whose parents are listed as George and Susan Smith. Susan’s maiden name is not recorded in the index, which shows that David was baptized in East Harling, Norfolk, on 10 June 1816:

David Smith, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: David Smith

Christening Date: 10 Jun 1816
Christening Place: East Harling, Norfolk, England

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Name: George Smith
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Susan Smith Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03901-7 System Origin: England-EASy Reference ID: 11

GS Film number: 1596037, Items 2-9 = Parish registers for East Harling:

Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of East Harling (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository)

Baptisms, 1544-1665, 1677-1721; Marriages, 1544-1720; Burials, 1544-1678, 1711-1721.
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1654-1659. Baptisms and burials, 1721-1812; Marriages, 1721-1754.
Baptisms, 1813-1838. Baptisms, 1838-1888. Baptisms, 1888-1901. Marriages, 1754-1812;
Banns, 1754-1822. Marriages, 1813-1837.

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J7KR-9VX : accessed 22 Nov 2013), David Smith, 10 Jun 1816.
____

David Smith’s baptism record can be found in GS microfilm number 1596037, Items 2-9. The initials GS stand for “Genealogical Society” of Utah, which is the historical name for FamilySearch. You can order this film from your nearest Family History Center. If you do not have a Family History Center nearby, check with your local public libraries as some libraries have permission from the LDS to order microfilms from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Because baptisms and marriage for the parish of East Harling go back to 1544, and continue with some gaps in the records up to the early 20th century, you may want to consider ordering film number 1596037 Items 2-9, to see how far back in time you can trace your Smith and related ancestors in the Parish of East Harling.

I also found David Smith’s baptism record at the sister site to FreeBMD. This site is called FreeREG which you can access at: http://www.freereg.org.uk/

FreeREG utilizes a different format for recording church baptism, marriage, and burial records. In many cases this site provides more information about a baptism, marriage or burial than an LDS index, though it does not compare to the LDS’s digitized copies of the actual records.

The FreeREG baptism record not only provides David Smith’s baptism date, but also his birth date and his father’s occupation.

The FreeREG site also has a different baptism date than the LDS index for David. The LDS index places David’s baptism in the East Harling Church of England on 10 June 1816, while the FreeREG recorded David’s baptism on 16 June 1816, and his birth date on 28 April 1829. The FreeREG baptism record also shows that the occupation for David’s father George is “Bricklayer.”

A transcription of the FreeBMD baptism record for David Smith follows:

Parish of St. Peter & St. Paul, East Harling, in the County of Norfolk

Name: David Smith
Date of Birth: 28 April 1816
Date of Baptism: 16 June 1816
Parents: George & Susan Smith
Abode:
Father’s Occupation: Bricklayer

Source: http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Ba...
____

After learning that Susan Smith’s maiden name was Ling from the three of the four baptism records noted above, I next looked for the marriage record of George Smith and Susan/ Susanna Ling. Census returns show that Susan was born in Quidenham, Norfolk. Traditionally, Church of England marriages, like Catholic marriages, took place in the bride’s parish, and so I looked for the marriage in Quidenham.

From this point on if a FreeREG baptism, marriage, or burial record contains more pertinent genealogical information than an LDS index, I’ll also transcribe the information from the FreeREG website. There may also be some instances where I won’t have to provide the LDS index at all, so as not to duplicate the records.

But in this instance, I found a copy of the original marriage record at the LDS website, showing that George Smith and Susanna Ling were married in the Church of England Parish of Quidenham on 5 January 1815. The marriage ceremony was performed by the church’s curate, R.F. Elwin. The witnesses to the marriage were George Rix and John Collings.

A transcription of the marriage record, from a copy of the original, follows:

Page 1

Marriages solemnized in the Parish of Quidenham
in the County of Norfolk in the Year 1815

George Smith of this Parish
Single Man

and Susanna Ling of this Parish
Single Woman

were married in this Church by Banns with Consent of

______________________________this fifth Day of

Jany in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and sixteen,

By me R. F. Elwin, Curate

This marriage was solemnized betwen us{ xGeorge Smith, xSusanna Ling

in the Presence of {George Rix, John Collings

No. 3

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27C8-T38 : accessed 16 Nov 2013), George Smith and Susanna Ling, 1817.
____

I now wanted to see if I could find the baptism record for George Smith. Census records show that George was born anywhere between the early to mid 1790s in East Harling.

I found what may be George’s baptism record at the LDS website. The baptism record, from an original copy, shows that George was baptized in East Harling on June 21st, 1773, and that he was born on June 17 of the same year. His parents are listed as Robert Smith and Mary Howard.

A transcription of the baptism record from the LDS website follows:

A True & exact copy of all the several entries made in the Register Book for the Parish of East Harling of Baptisms, Burials & Marriages within the same Parish from March 25, 1793 to March 25 1794

Baptisms 1793

George, Son of Robert Smith & Mary his wife, late M Howard
born June 17 - bap. June 21st.

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27H8-XVS : accessed 16 Nov 2013), George Smith, 1793.
____

I then found two LDS marriage indexes for Robert Smith and Mary Howard in the East Harling Parish Church. One of these indexes may refer to the banns of marriage for the couple, and the other to the marriage itself. The first is dated 17 September 1772. The second is dated 23 September 1772. Both records can be found in microfilm number 1596037. This is the same microfilm number in which David Smith’s baptism record can be found:

Robert Smith, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: Robert Smith

Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Mary Howard
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:

Event Date: 17 Sep 1772
Event Place: East Harling, Norfolk, England

Father's Name:
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03901-9
System Origin: England-EASy
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1596037, Items 2-9 = Parish registers for East Harling:

Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of East Harling (Norfolk) (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository)

Baptisms, 1544-1665, 1677-1721; Marriages, 1544-1720; Burials, 1544-1678, 1711-1721.
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1654-1659. Baptisms and burials, 1721-1812; Marriages, 1721-1754.
Baptisms, 1813-1838. Baptisms, 1838-1888. Baptisms, 1888-1901. Marriages, 1754-1812;
Banns, 1754-1822. Marriages, 1813-1837.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFLN-Z5V : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Robert Smith and Mary Howard, 17 Sep 1772.

AND

Robert Smith, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Mary Howard
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:

Event Date: 23 Sep 1772
Event Place : East Harling, Norfolk, England

Father's Name:
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03901-9
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1596037 = Parish registers for East Harling, 1544-1911
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of East Harling (Norfolk);
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England):

Baptisms, 1544-1665, 1677-1721; Marriages, 1544-1720; Burials, 1544-1678, 1711-1721. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1654-1659. Baptisms and burials, 1721-1812; Marriages, 1721-1754. Baptisms, 1813-1838. Baptisms, 1838-1888. Baptisms, 1888-1901. Marriages, 1754-1812; Banns, 1754-1822. Marriages, 1813-1837.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFLN-Z5V : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Robert Smith and Mary Howard, 23 Sep 1772.
____

Next I found the LDS baptism indexes for five children of Robert and Mary Smith who were baptized in the East Harling Parish Church. Mary’s maiden name is not listed in the indexes. The names of the children and their years of baptism are: Mary (1774); Robert (1775); Elizabeth (1779); John (1783); and Martha (1788).

The baptism records for Mary, Robert, Elizabeth, and Martha can be found in microfilm number 1526818. The baptism record for John can be found in microfilm number 1545212.

The baptism indexes follow:

Mary Smith, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Mary Smith
Christening Date:
Christening Place:

Birth Date: 14 Jan 1774
Birthplace: East Harling, Norfolk, England

Death Date:

Father's Name: Robert Smith
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07457-2Sy
stem Origin: England-EASy
Reference ID: item 3

GS Film number: 1526818 = Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository):

Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1725-1811.

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N19D-45T : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Mary Smith, 14 Jan 1774.
____

Robert Smith, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Christening Date:
Christening Place:

Birth Date: 25 Nov 1775
Birthplace: East Harling, Norfolk, England

Death Date:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07457-2

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J7J9-W9X : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Robert Smith, 25 Nov 1775.
____

Elizabeth Smith, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Elizabeth Smith

Christening Date: 31 Mar 1779

Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:

Father's Name: Robart Smith
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J95H-G2K : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Elizabeth Smith, 31 Mar 1779.
____

John Smith, "England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941"

Name: John Smith
Event Type: Christening
Event Date: 12 Nov 1783

Father's Name: Robt. Smith
Digital Folder Number: 004005582
Image Number: 879

GS Film Number: 1545212 = Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norfolk, 1686-1941
Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norfolk; Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England):

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27H6-F5N : accessed 17 Nov 2013), John Smith, 1783.
____

Martha Smith, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Martha Smith

Christening Date: 18 Oct 1788

Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Mary Howard
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXR8-3HM : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Martha Smith, 18 Oct 1788.
____

SUSANNAH LING

I next wanted to see if I could find the baptism record for George Smith’s wife, Susannah Ling. Susannah would be Hannah Smith’s mother, and George William Gates Smith’s maternal grandmother. Census records show that Susan/Susannah Smith was about the same age as her husband George and that she was born in Quidenham, Norfolk.

I uncovered a copy of the original baptism record for Susannah Ling at the LDS website, showing that she was baptized in Quidenham on April 28th 1793. Her parents are listed as William and Mary:

This is a true copy of the Register of Quidenham

April 28th. Ling, Susanah, Dau of Wm and Mary, baptized -

Citing this Record

"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27HZ-644 : accessed 16 Nov 2013), Susannah Ling, 1793.
____

I also found more information about Susannah and her parents at the LDS Ancestral File. This information was probably contributed to the LDS by a descendant of the Ling family going under the name of wlfarnsworth3417895. This record shows that William Ling and Mary Shaw were Susannah’s parents, and that William was born in Wattsfield, Suffolk, England, on 9 March 1763. The record also shows that Mary Shaw was born in North Lopham, Norfolk, England, about 1770. I’m not sure how accurate this information is, as no source information is cited for it:

Susannah LING

birth: Quidenham, Norfolk, England

christening: 28 April 1793, Quidenham, Norfolk, England

death:

Parents:

William LING

birth: 9 March 1763, Wattisfield, Suffolk, England

death:

AND

Mary SHAW

birth: about 1770, North Lopham, Norfolk, England

death:

"Ancestral File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/99G5-QJ4 : accessed 2013-11-17), entry for Susannah LING.
____

You can see the above submission, plus more genealogical information about the Ling, Shaw, and other related families at the LDS link at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/99G5-QJ4

For more information about the LDS Ancestral File, go to: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ancestral_File

HANNAH SMITH

To this point in the research I hadn’t uncovered any records for Hannah Smith past the 1851 census, which shows she was 20 years old and living in the household of George and Susan Smith in Whitehart Street, East Harling. In that census Hannah’s son, 1 year old George Gates Smith was also in the household.

I wanted to see what other records I could find for Hannah after 1851, as she wasn’t in the household with her parents in the 1861 or 1871 census enumerations, nor was her son George with her in the 1861 and 1871 enumerations, as he was still residing with his grandparents in Whitehart Street.

By 1861 Hannah would have either been married or deceased. The other options are that she was not counted in the 1861 census, or that she left Norfolk or had left the country.

But, I found the LDS marriage index for a Josiah Peake and a Hannah Smith recorded in the East Harling Church of England on 9 October 1854. The index shows that Josiah’s father was George Peake and that Hannah’s father was George Smith. The names of Josiah and Hannah’s mothers are not recorded in the index, which comes from the Church of England. Diocese of Norwich. Consistory Court:

Josiah Peake, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: Josiah Peake
Birth Date: 1830
Birthplace:

Spouse's Name: Hannah Smith
Spouse's Birth Date: 1830
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 24

Event Date: 09 Oct 1854

Father's Name: George Peake
Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name: George Smith
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03902-0
Reference ID: 82

GS Film number: 1596037 = Marriage licence bonds, 1557-1902
Authors: Church of England. Diocese of Norwich. Consistory Court (Main Author)
Norfolk and Norwich Record Office (Norwich, England) (Repository).

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFLN-WXK : accessed 20 Nov 2013), Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith, 09 Oct 1854.
____

The marriage record for Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith can be found in microfilm number 1596037. You can order the microfilm from your nearest Family History Center.

I also found the marriage record for Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith at the FreeREG website which gives additional information. The marriage record shows that Josiah Peake’s occupation was Wheelwright, and that his father’s occupation was Blacksmith. This record also shows that the occupation of Hannah’s father George was Bricklayer. The record also shows that George Smith and Sarah Ling were witnesses to the marriage:

Date of Marriage: 9 October 1854

Groom: Josiah Peake
Groom’s Age: 24
Groom’s Condition: Bachelor
Groom’s Abode: East Harling
Groom’s Father: George Peake
Groom’s Father’s Occupation: Blacksmith

Bride’s Name: Hannah Smith
Bride’s Age: 24
Bride’s Condition: Spinster
Bride’s Occupation:
Bride’s Abode: East Harling
Bride’s father: George Smith
Bride’s father’s Occupation: Bricklayer

Witnesses: George Smith and Sarah Ling

Source: http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Ma...
____

I also looked for the civil marriage index for Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith at the aforementioned FreeBMD website. FreeBMD volunteers have thankfully transcribed civil birth, marriage, and death records for England and Wales since the commencement of civil registration in 1837, all the way up to the 1980s. Today these records are held by the General Register Office (GRO), located in Southport, England

I found the civil marriage index for Josiah and Hannah, showing their marriage was recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the December quarter of 1854. Another person named Mary Rust is also named in the index, though her marriage partner is not.

The index follows:

Marriages December Quarter 1854

Josiah Peake
Mary Rust
Hannah Smith

Volume: 4b

Page: 693
____

The marriage record for Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith can be found in Volume 4b, Page 693 of the GRO registers. You can order the marriage record online from the GRO website at: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

A marriage cert from the GRO costs £9.25.

The Guiltcorss Registration District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for several towns and parishes in Norfolk, including East Harling. For conformation of this, go to the following GenUKI website link at:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/guiltcross.html

Earlier I had referenced a norwichpub link which showed that George Smith owned the license for the Trowel and Hammer Pub from 1841 to 1871. If you go back to the website you’ll see the next license owner between 1875 and 1877, is listed as Josiah Peake, who was Hannah Smith’s husband.

For quick access to the norwichpub link go to: http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolke/eastharling/ehartah.ht...

The next license holder after Josiah Peake, according to the norwichpub link, is once again George Smith, in 1879. He is followed by Mrs. Susan Woodcock, who held the license from 1881 to 1883. With this information I wanted to see if I could locate a GRO death index at the FreeBMD website for a George Smith recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District circa 1879-1880, as I didn’t find George or his wife Susan/Susanna in the 1881 census. The 1871 census had shown that George was 77 years old, which means he would be about 85 years old if he died in 1879.

I located one death index which may pertain to George. This index shows the death of a George Smith recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the March quarter of 1879. His age at death is listed as 85 years old:

Death March Quarter 1879

George Smith

Age at Death: 85

Page: 194
____

The above index may pertain to the death of George Smith, whose death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 194 of the GRO registers. If you order the death index see who is listed as the informant to the death, as the informant may have been one his children, or the spouse of one of his children.

I also found the GRO death index for a Susanna Smith recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the June quarter of 1876. Her age at death is listed as 81. Like George, her age in the 1871 census was 77, which means she would have been 82 years old in 1876, but I think this is close enough to indicate that this index may pertain to George’s wife, as I didn’t find a Susan or Susanna Smith in the 1881 census who had been born in Quidenham.:

Death June Quarter 1876

Susanna Smith

Age at Death: 81

Page: 170
____

The death cert for Susanna Smith can be found in Volume 4b, Page 170 of the GRO registers. If you order Susanna’s death record, see if her husband George, or perhaps one of her children, is listed as the informant who reported the death to the local registrar.

Josiah Peake and Hannah Smith were married in 1854, which means they should be in the 1861 census if neither had died. I found 31 year old Josiah and his 30 year old wife Hannah Peake in the 1861 census living in an address of Cheese Hill, East Harling. Josiah’s occupation is listed as wheelwright & blacksmith employing 1 man. His place of birth was East Harling. The census shows that Hannah’s place of birth was also East Harling. In the household with them is 72 year old Maria Peake. She is listed as Josiah’s mother in law, but this would be inaccurate, as she would actually be his mother. His mother in law would have been named Smith if she were in the household. The 1861 census shows that Maria Peake was also born in East Harling:

1861 England Census

Address: Cheese Hill

Household Schedule Number: 19
Folio: 82
Page Number: 4

Josiah Peake, Head, Married, Male, 31, Wheelwright & Blacksmith employing 1 man, Norfolk East Harling
Hannah Peake, Wife, Married, Female, 30, Norfolk East Harling
Maria Peake, Mother in Law, Widow, Female, 72, Norfolk East Harling

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1236; Folio: 82; Page: 4; GSU roll: 542781.
____

The 1871 census still shows that 41 year old Josiah and 40 year old “Hannar” Peake are still living in an address of Cheese Hill, East Harling. Josiah’s occupation islisted as “wheelwrite” and blacksmith. His place of birth and Hannah’s place of birth are listed as East Harling, Norfolk. No one else is in the household with them. It took a while to find Josiah and Hannah in the 1871 census as their surname is transcribed as “Penk,” rather than Peake in the Ancestry.com census index:

1871 England Census

Household Schedule Number: 22
Folio: 7
Page Number: 5

Josiah Peake, Head, Married, Male, 41, Wheelwrite & Blacksmith, Norfolk East Harling
Hannar Peake, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Norfolk East Harling

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1840; Folio: 7; Page: 5; GSU roll: 838808.
____

I next looked for Josiah and Hannah Peake in the 1881 census, but I only found the person I believe to be Josiah. This enumeration however, gives his name as Joseph Peake, a lodger and a widower residing in the household of publicans Henry and Harriet Sharman in an address of Market Place, East Harling. Joseph Peake is shown to be a 50 year old blacksmith born in East Harling. He is in the household with Henry and Harriet’s daughter Alice, servants, and other lodgers:

1881 England Census

Address: Market Place

ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Piece: 1972
Folio: 66
Page Number: 7

Henry Sharman, Head, Married, Male, 58, Publican, Leverington, Camb
Harriet Sharman, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Publican's Wife, Norfolk Norwich
Alice Sharman, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 15, Publican's Daughter, Norfolk Norwich
Abigal Kerridge, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 18, Domestic Servant, Norfolk East Harling
William Wicks, Servant, Unmarried, Male, 22, Servant, Norfolk East Harling
Joseph Peake, Lodger, Widower, Male, 50, Blacksmith, Norfolk East Harling
William Kemp, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 73, Annuitant, Norfolk Norwich
Arthur Kemp, Son, Male, 2, Norfolk Norwich
John Prime, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 20, ?, Suffolk Newmarket

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1972; Folio: 66; Page: 7; GSU roll: 1341475.
____

Josiah’s wife Hannah Peake would have died sometime between the 1871 and 1881 census enumerations, and so I looked for her death indexes at both the LDS and FreeBMD website. I didn’t find a death index for her at the LDS website, but did uncover the index at FreeBMD, which shows the death of Hannah Peake was recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the September quarter of 1878. At the time of death Hannah was 48 years old. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 173 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1878

Hannah Peake

Age at Death: 48

Page: 173
____

If you order Hannah Peake’s death cert, see if her husband Josiah is the informant who reported her death to the local registrar.

I next found 59 year old Josiah Peake in the 1891 census living in the household of his widowed sister, 70 year old Sarah Cullans. The address of the household is Cheese Hill, East Harling. Sarah is shown to be on “Parish Relief.” Josiah’s occupation is listed as wheelwright, but he is shown to be unemployed. Both Sarah and Josiah were born in East Harling:

1891 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: East Harling

Piece: 1548
Folio: 68
Page Number: 5

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

Sarah Cullans, Head, Widow, Female, 70, In Receipt of Parish Relief, Norfolk: East Harling
Josiah Peake, Brother, Widower, Male, 59, Wheelwright, Neither Employer nor Employed, Norfolk: East Harling

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1548; Folio: 68; Page: 5; GSU Roll: 6096658.
____

I didn’t find Josiah Peake in the 1900 census, but did uncover a copy of his original church burial record at the LDS website. The record shows that Josiah was buried form the Parish Church of East Harling on 21 September 1900. His age at death is listed as 70. Because this record very faded, I could make out who performed the burial rite for Josiah:

[ Page 119 ]

Burials in the Parish of East Haling in the County of Norfolk
In the Year 1900

Name: Josiah Peake
Abode: East Harling (Kenninghall Union)
When Buried: Sep 21st 1900
By whom the Ceremony was performed: ?

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JZ44-MYW : accessed 23 Nov 2013), Josiah Peake, 1900.
____

I also found Josiah Peake’s civil registration death index at the FreeBMD website. The index shows his death recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the September quarter of 1900. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 153 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1900

Josiah Peake

Age at death: 70

Page: 153
____

When I was looking for Josiah Peake’s burial record at the LDS website, I also came across a copy of his original church baptism/birth record, as the well as the baptism records for many of his siblings. I’ve only transcribed the record for Josiah below, as I’m not sure how interested you are in learning more about the Peake family.

The baptism record shows that Josiah was born on September 16, 1829, and baptized in the Parish Church of East Harling on September 20, 1829. His parents are listed as George Peake and Maria Allen of Harling. George’s occupation is blacksmith. The officiating minister who performed the baptism was W.F. Wilkinson:

[ Page ]

In the County of Norfolk in the year 1829

Born Sept. 16. Bapt. Sept. 20. No. 452
Child's Christian Name: Josiah son of
Parents Name: George Peake & Maria late Allen
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Blacksmith
By whom the Ceremony was performed: W.F. Wilkinson Off Minister

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CN-48T : accessed 23 Nov 2013), Josiah Peake, 1829.
____

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT GEORGE WILLIAM GATES SMITH

In his 28 February 2002 reply to your Ancestry Message Board query about Ernest Guy Patrick Smith, richardvf1 had transcribed the 1881 census for the family of 31 year old George William Gates Smith, and George’s 31 year old wife Mary, and their several children, including 2 year old Ernest G.P. Smith. The census shows the family residing in Market Street, Wymondham, Norfolk.

Knowing that George William Gates Smith had married a girl named Mary, I looked for their marriage index or marriage record at the LDS website. I found the index showing that George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann Alice Woodcock were married in the St. Peter Mancroft Church of England, Norwich, on 25 October 1871. George’s father is listed as John Gates Smith. Mary Ann’s father is listed as Charles Woodcock. This is the first time I learned that George’s father was John Gates Smith.

The marriage index follows:

George William Gates Smith, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: George William Gates Smith
Birth Date: 1848
Birthplace:

Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Alice Woodcock

Spouse's Birth Date: 1849
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 22

Event Date: 25 Oct 1871
Event Place: St Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England

Father's Name: John Gates Smith Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name: Charles Woodcock Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03254-3 System Origin: England-EASy Reference ID: 114

GS Film number: 1565790 = Parish registers of St. Peter Mancroft parish, Norwich, 1538-1997
Authors: Church of England. St. Peter Mancroft Church (Norwich) (Main Author):

Baptisms, 1538-1737, marriages, 1538-1553, burials 1538-1554; baptisms, 1736-1801; baptisms, 1802-1812; baptisms, 1813-1824; baptisms, 1824-1873; baptisms, 1873-1890; baptisms, 1890-1901; marriages, 1558-1736; marriages, 1736-1766; marriages 1766-1898; burials, 1554- 1841.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFJV-TD1 : accessed 23 Nov 2013), George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann Alice Woodcock, 25 Oct 1871.
____

The marriage record for George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann Alice Woodcock can be found in microfilm number 1565790. You can order the film from your nearest Family History Center.

I also found the church marriage record for George and Mary Ann at the FreeREG website, which shows that George’s occupation was “Jeweller,” and that the occupation of his father, John Gates Smith, was farmer. The occupation for Mary Ann’s father Charles is noted as butcher. This record also shows that the parish of residence for both George and Mary Ann at the time of marriage was St. Peter Mancroft. In addition, the witnesses to the marriage were Frederick Roe and Alice Eva Roe:

Parish of St. Peter Mancroft in the County of Norfolk

Date of Marriage: 25 October 1871

Groom: George William Gates Smith
Groom’s Age: 23
Groom’s Parish: St. Peter Mancroft
Groom’s Father: John Gates Smith
Groom’s Father’s Occupation: Farmer

Bride’s Name: Mary Ann Alice Woodcock
Bride’s Age: 22
Bride’s Occupation:
Bride’s Parish: St. Peter Mancroft
Bride’s father: Charles Woodcock
Bride’s father’s Occupation: Butcher

Witnesses: Fredc Roe, Alice Eva Roe

____

The Church of St. Peter Mancroft in Norwich was built in the 1400s. To read more about the church go to the parish website at: http://stpetermancroft.org.uk/

You can also read about the church and view a photo of it at the Wikipedia article at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter_Mancroft

To see the location of the St. Peter Mancroft Church of England, Norwich on a Google Map, go to: http://tinyurl.com/ml4n6ea

I then looked for George and Mary Ann’s GRO civil marriage index at the FreeBMD website, and found it.

George is listed twice in the index, once as George William Gates-Smith, and also as George William G Smith. There are two other people named in the index who were also married in the same quarter.

The marriage of George and Mary Ann was recorded in the Norwich Registration District for the December quarter of 1871. The marriage record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 369 of the GRO registers:

Marriages December Quarter 1871

William Henry Addison
George William Gates-Smith
Alice Hemnell
George William G Smith
Mary Ann A Woodcock

Registration District: Norwich

Page: 369
____

If you order the marriage cert from the GRO see if George’s father is named John Gates Smith.

The following information may be coincidental, but after learning that George’s father was John Gates Smith, I found the civil birth index for a John Gates Smith at the FreeBMD website, showing the birth was recorded in the Norwich Registration District for the June quarter of 1849. His birth record can be found in Volume 13, Page 266 of the GRO registers:

Birth June Quarter 1849

John Gates Smith

Registration District: Norwich

Volume: 13

Page: 266
____

Earlier, you saw a copy of the original baptism index for Hannah Smith’s son, George Gates Smith, who was born on 19 May 1849, and baptized in the East Harling Church of England on 21 October 1849. The month of May is in the June quarter, and includes the months of April, May, and June. I am wondering if the civil birth record for John Gates Smith may actually pertain to George Gates Smith, as there is the possibility that his father’s name was recorded in place of his own name. You would have to order John Gates Smith’s birth cert from the GRO to see if the mother is Hannah Smith, and to see if his father’s name is John Gates Smith.

I next found the civil birth indexes for Ernest Guy P. Smith and his brother Donald Oscar Smith. The index for Ernest Guy P Smith shows his birth recorded in the Forehoe (Norfolk) Registration District for the March quarter of 1879. His birth record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 191 of the GRO registers.

The index for Donald Oscar Smith shows his birth recorded in the Forehoe Registration District for the September quarter of 1884. His birth record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 192 of the GRO registers. Both indexes follow:

Birth March Quarter 1879

Ernest Guy P Smith

Registration District: Forehoe

Page: 191
____

Birth September Quarter 1884

Donald Oscar Smith

Page: 192
____

The Forehoe Registration District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for several Norfolk parishes and towns. For a list of these parishes and towns go to the GenUKI website link at: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/forehoe.html

One of the towns you’ll see once you’re at the GenUKI link for the Forehoe Registration District, is Wymondham.

Knowing from the census returns that George William Gates Smith was a watchmaker and jeweler, I wanted to see if I could find him in any directory listings for Norfolk. To look for him in the listings I went to Ancestry.com

I found two listings for George William Gates Smith in the 1880s. The first is from White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory for 1883 and the second is from Kelly’s Directory for 1888. Both directory listings give his address as Market Street, which I believe pertains to Market Street in Wymondham. The directory listings are below:

UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946

Occupation: watchmaker & jeweller. agent for Wm. Cann & Co. brewers, & for Allan line of
Steamers, Market street.

Publication Title: 1883 White's History, Gazetteer and Directory
County: Norfolk
Publication Year: 1883

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013.
____

Street Address: Market street

Publication Title: 1888 Kelly's Directory
Publication Year: 1888

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013.
____

Going to the 1891 census I found 41 year old watchmaker George Smith and his 41 year old wife Mary, and 9 of their children (including Ernest and Donald) living in an address of Market Street, Wymondham. The census shows that George was born in Norwich and Mary Ann in London. The children were all born in Wymondham.

Also in the household is 77 year old Susan Woodcock, listed as the grandmother. I believe Susan would be Mary Ann’s grandmother rather than grandmother to the Smith children listed in the census. The marriage index had earlier shown that George William Gates Smith had married a Mary Ann A Woodcock.

The census shows that Susan Woodcock was born in Barton, Suffolk:

1891 England Census

Civil Parish: Wymondham
Ecclesiastical parish: Wymondham

Town: Wymondham
Address: Market Street

Sub-registration District: Wymondham
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Piece: 1535
Folio: 82

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

George Smith, Head, Married, Male, 41, Watchmaker, Neither Employer nor Employed, Norfolk Norwich
Mary A Smith, Wife, Marrled, Female, 41, London
Percival Smith, Son, Single, Male, 14, Cabinet Maker, Employed, Norfolk Wymondham
Ernest Smith, Son, Male, 12, Scholar, Norfolk Wymondham
Reginald Smith, Son, Male, 11, Scholar, Norfolk Wymondham
Albert Smith, Son, Male, 9, Scholar, Norfolk Wymondham
Mabel Smith, Daughter, Female, 7, Scholar, Norfolk Wymondham
Donald Smith, Son, Male, 6, Scholar, Norfolk Wymondham
Grace Smith, Daughter, Female, 4, Norfolk Wymondham
Claud Smith, Son, Male, 2, Norfolk Wymondham
Tom Smith, Son, Male, 9 mo., Norfolk Wymondham
Susan Woodcock, Grand mother, Widow, 77, Suffolk Barton

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1535; Folio: 82; Page: 7; GSU Roll: 6096645.
____

The 1901 census shows that 51 year old Geo Wm Gates Smith, his 50 year old wife Mary Ann Alice Smith, and six of their children are living in an address of Little Green, Town of Bunwell, Norfolk. The census shows that George is a watchmaker who was born in Norwich. Mary Ann Alice was born in London. Five of the six children were born in Wymondham. The youngest child, 2 year old Ronald Ivan Smith, was born in Bunwell. One of the children in the census is 10 year old Thomas Malcom Smith. The Ancestry.com index for him transcribed his middle name as “Males,”
Rather than Malcolm, but I corrected the name to Malcolm in the transcription that follows:

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Bunwell
Ecclesiastical parish: Bunwell St Michael

Town: Bunwell

Address: Little Green

Registration District: Depwade
Sub-registration District: Forncett
ED, institution, or vessel: 10

Household Schedule Number: 100
Piece: 1864
Folio: 94
Page Number: 15

Name, Relation, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/or Own account, If Working at Home, Where Born

Geo Wm Gates Smith, Head, Married, Male, 51, Watch Maker, Own Account, at home, Norfolk Norwich
Mary Ann Alice Smith, Wife, Married, Female, 50, London
Mabel Irene Smith, Daughter, Single, Female, 17, School Teacher, Norfolk Wymondham
Grace Otway Smith, Daughter, Single, Female, 14, Norfolk Wymondham
Claude Nelson Smith, Son, Single, Male, 12, Norfolk Wymondham
Thomas Malcolm Smith, Son, Male, 10, Norfolk Wymondham
Jack Montague Smith, Son, Male, 8, Norfolk Wymondham
Ronald Ivan Smith, Son, Male, 2, Norfolk Bunwell

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1864; Folio: 94; Page: 15.
____

I looked for George and Mary Ann’s son, Ernest Guy Patrick Smith in the 1901 census but didn’t find him. But I found his marriage index at the FreeBMD website, which shows that his marriage was recorded in the Henstead (Norfolk) Registration District for the March quarter of 1905. The only other person named in the index is Florence Miriam Taylor. The marriage record for Ernest Guy P. Smith and Florence Miriam Taylor can be found in Volume 4b, Page 299 of the GRO registers:

Marriage March Quarter 1905

Ernest Guy P Smith

Florence Miriam Taylor

Registration District: Henstead

Page: 299
____

To see what towns and parishes fell under the jurisdiction of the Henstead Registration District, go to the GenUKI link at: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/henstead.html

Next, I believe I found George and Mary Ann Smith’s son, Donald Smith, in the 1901 census, which shows he is 17 years old and in a military garrison in Colchester, Essex. The census gives his occupation as, “Boy Infantry.” His birthplace is listed as Wymondham. There are several others named in the garrison with Donald, but I’ve only transcribed the census for him to save space:

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Colchester
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity and St Botolph and St Giles
County/Island: Essex

Registration District: Colchester
Sub-registration District: Colchester, First Ward
ED, institution, or vessel: Garrison (3)
Household Schedule Number: 1
Piece: 1707
Folio: 130
Page Number: 29

ENUMERATION BOOK For the undermentioned Institution.

Name Garrison

Description Military

LIST of all PERSONS who SLEPT or ABODE in this INSTITUTION on the NIGHT of SUNDAY, MARCH 31st, 1901.

Name, Relation, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/or Own account, If Working at Home, Where Born

Donald Smith, Single, Male, 17, Boy Infantry, Norfolk Wymondham

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1707; Folio: 130; Page: 29.
____

The Colchester Garrison is still in existence. For more information go to the Wikipedia article at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchester_Garrison

The Colchester Garrison also has its own website which you can access at the following:
http://www.colchestergarrison16airassaultbrigade.com/

I next wanted to see if I could find any directory listings for George William Gates Smith in Norfolk for the 1900s. I found one listing in Kelly’s Directory for 1908 at Ancestry.com, which is below:

Publication Title: 1908 Kelly's Directory
Publication Year: 1908

Source Information:
____

The following is the 1911 census for 62 year old “Practical Watch Maker,” George William Gates Smith, and his 61 year old wife Mary Ann Alice Smith. They are still living in an address of Little Green, Bunwell, Norfolk. The census notes that George was born in a section of Norwich called “Tombland.” The Ancestry.com census index however, gives his place of birth as “Southland Norwich,” which is not correct. The full name for George’s place of birth, I believe, would be St. George Tombland. See the Genuki link at the following for conformation:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/norwich.html

For a youtube video taking you on a walk of Elm Hill and Tombland, Norwich, with accompanying classical music, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oC6JTE6uIw

To learn how Tombland got its name, go to the VisitNorwich website at: http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/history.aspx

To view a Google Map of Tombland Norwich, go to: http://tinyurl.com/m9dpmva

Once at the map the letter A will be pointing to the location of the Tombland Book Store in Tombland. Click on the “Street-view” image to enlarge it, and you’ll be able to take a virtual tour of the area where George William Gates Smith was born on 19 May 1849.

To continue, the 1911 census shows that George’s wife Mary Ann Alice Smith’s birthplace is Smithfield, London. The census shows that George and Mary Ann have been married for 40 years, and in that time period had 14 children born alive, with 11 children still living, and 3 children who have died. Two of those children are in the household with George and Mary Ann. They are 18 year old John Montague Smith, and 11 year old Ronald Ivan David Smith, both born in Wymondham:

1911 England Census

Civil Parish: Bunwell

Street Address: Little Green, Bunwell Nr Attleboro, Norfolk

Registration District: Depwade
Registration District Number: 230
Sub-registration District: Stratton

ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Household Schedule Number: 64
Piece: 11457

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

George William Gates Smith, Head, 62, Male, Married 40 years, 14 children born alive, 11 children still living, 3 children who have died, Practical Watch Maker, Own Account, At home, Tombland Norwich
Mary Ann Alice Smith, Wife, 61, Female, Married 40 years, Smithfield London
John Montague Smith, Son, 18, Male, Single, Norfolk Wymondham
Roland Ivan David Smith, Son, 11, Male, Single, Norfolk Wymondham

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 11457; Schedule Number: 64.
____

I next looked for George and Mary Ann Smith’s son, Donald Oscar Smith in the 1911 census but didn’t find him. But I did locate the person I believe to be their son Ernest. The census shows that Ernest Smith was a 32 year old Sergeant Major with the 1st Norfolk Regiment, living, perhaps in a barracks setting, in Farnborough, Hampshire. He is shown to be married and born in Wymondham, Norfolk:

1911 England Census

Civil Parish: Farnborough
County/Island: Hampshire

Registration District: Hartley Wintney
Registration District Number: 109
Sub-registration District: Farnborough

ED, institution, or vessel: 13-14
Household Schedule Number: 22
Piece: 6263

1st Norfolk Regiment

RETURN of all COMMISSIONED OFFICRES, NON-COMMISIONED OFFICERS, TRUMPETEERS of DRUMMERS, and RANK and FILE, who passed the night of SUNDAY, APRIL 2ND, 1911 in these BARRACKS of QUARTERS, or arrived on the morning of MONDAY, APRIL 3RD, not having been enumerated elsewhere

NAME IN FULL, RANK, AGE (last birthday), CONDITION as to MARRIAGE, UNIT or ARM of SERVICE, TRADE OF OCCUPATION, BIRTHPLACE

Ernest Smith, Sergeant Major, 32, Married, 1st Norfolk Regiment, Soldier, Norfolk Wymondham

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 6263; Schedule Number: 22.
____

Also Terry, one reason I was not able to locate your grandfather, Donald Oscar Smith in the 1911 census, is that he may have left England by the year 1911. I found a ship’s passenger list for a Donald Oscar Smith at Ancestry.com, showing he sailed from Liverpool, England on board the Ship Majestic, and that he arrived in Quebec on 16 July 1910. His age is listed as 26, placing his year of birth circa 1884, which is the year of birth for Donald Oscar Smith in the GRO birth index you saw earlier. The ship’s passenger list index for Donald Oscar Smith below is from Ancestry.com’s, “Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935.”

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

Name: Donald Oscar Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Date of Arrival: 16 Jul 1910
Vessel: Megantic
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4769

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
____

MARY ANN ALICE WOODCOCK AND FAMILY

According to the index noted earlier, the marriage of George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann A Woodcock, was recorded in the Norwich Registration District in the December quarter of 1871. The marriage would have taken place after 21 year old George W G Smith was enumerated in the 1871 census, which shows that he lived in Whitehart Street, East Harling, and also shows he is in the household with his grandparents George and Susan Smith. Their location on Whitehart Street is listed as the Trowel & Hammer pub.

This indicates that Mary Ann Woodcock would not have lived very far from George Smith in East Harling in 1871. To find out I looked for a Mary Ann Woodcock in the 1871 census in East Harling, and found her. The census shows she is a 21 year old unmarried female living in the household of her grandmother, 56 year old Susan Woodcock, an annuitant born in Great Barton, Suffolk. The address of the household is Whitehart Street, though in a copy of the original census the street appears to be spelled as “Whitehurt” Street. This means that George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann Woodcock were neighbors on Whitehart Street in East Harling before they married.

You saw 77 year old Susan Woodcock in the 1891 census in the household of George and Mary Smith and their grandchildren in Market Street, Wymondham. In that enumeration Susan’s birthplace is listed as Barton, Suffolk.

The 1871 census for Susan and Mary Ann Woodcock follows:

1871 England Census

Address: Whitehart Street

Household Schedule Number: 69

Folio: 11
Page Number: 13

Susan Woodcock, Head, Widow, Female, 56, Annuitant, Suffolk Great Barton
Mary Ann Woodcock, Granddaughter, Unmarried, Female, 21, Dress maker, London

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1840; Folio: 11; Page: 13; GSU roll: 838808.
____

Going back in time to the 1861 census, 11 year old “Maryann” Woodcock is shown to be living with her 47 year old grandmother, Susan Woodcock in an address of Whitehart Street, Butchers, East Harling. The “Butchers,” is a reference, I believe to Susan’s husband’s occupation. Though Susan’s husband is not in the household, she is listed as a “Butcher’s Wife” who was born in Grt Barton, Suffolk. The ancestry.com index for her birthplace erroneously lists it as Great Creaton, Sufolk.

Maryann Woodcock is listed as a scholar, that is, a student, who was born in Smithfield, London:

1861 England Census

Address: Whitehart St., Butchers

Household Schedule Number: 97
Folio: 89
Page Number: 17

Susan Woodcock, Head, Married, Female, 47, Butcher’s Wife, Suffolk Great Barton
Maryann Woodcock, Grand daughter, Female, 11, Scholar, London Smithfield

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1236; Folio: 89; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542781.
____

I next looked for Mary Ann Woodcock in the 1851 census. She would have been about 1 year old in that enumeration. I was hoping to locate her in the household of her parents. Her 1871 marriage index from the LDS website had shown that her father’s name was Charles. Later census returns give her birthplace as London, or Smithfield, London.

I uncovered the person I believe to be 1 year old Mary A. Woodcock in the 1851 census living in the household of her parents, 24 year old Chas. (Charles) Woodcock, and Charles’s wife, 25 year old Mary A. Woodcock. The address of the household is 24 Cow Cross Street, Parish of St Sepulchre, London. Charles is shown to employed as a “Slaughterman,” who was born in Norfolk. His wife Mary Ann was born in Norwich. The census further shows that 1 year old Mary was born in the City of London. In the household with the family is an 18 year old girl named Jane Lusher, born in Norfolk. Her relationship to the head of the household, Charles Woodcock, is listed as “U,” which means, Unknown.”

The census follows:

1851 England Census

Civil Parish: St Sepulchre
Ecclesiastical parish: St Sepulchre
County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address: 24 Cow Cross St.

Registration District: Holborn
Sub-registration District: Saffron Hill
ED, institution, or vessel: 2c
Household Schedule Number: 42
Piece: 1515
Page Number: 10

Chas Woodcock, Head, Married, Male, 24, Slaughterman, Norfolk
Mary A Woodcock, Wife, Married, Female, 25, Norwich
Mary A Woodcock, Daughter, Female, 1, London City
Jane Lusher, Unknown, Female, 18, Norfolk

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1515; Page: 10; GSU roll: 87849.
____

To view a Google Map of Cowcross Street, London, go to: http://tinyurl.com/p75jgm6

Once at the map you’ll see the letter A Pointing to Cowcross Street. Click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” image, then click on the image to enlarge it, and you’ll be dropped off in Cowcross Street.

Back at the map, if you look south of Cowcross Street, you’ll see the location of St. Sepulchre’s Church, situated just above the A40 road.

I next looked for Mary Ann Alice Woodcock’s baptism index at the LDS website but didn’t find it. But I did uncover a civil birth index which may pertain to her. The index shows the birth of a Mary Ann Woodcock recorded in the “Bethnal G” ( Bethnal Green, London ) Registration District for the March quarter of 1849. Her birth record can be found in Volume 2, Page 66 of the GRO registers:

Birth March Quarter 1849

Mary Ann Woodcock

Registration District: Bethnal G

Volume: 2

Page: 66
____

If you order Mary Ann’s birth cert from the GRO, see if her father is listed as Charles Woodcock whose occupation is slaughterman, or butcher. Also see if her mother is listed as Mary Ann. The birth record will also give you Mary Ann’s maiden name.

I next located the marriage index for Charles Woodcock at the FreeREG website.

The index shows that Charles Woodcock had married Mary Ann Lusher in the St. Peter and St. Paul Church, East Harling, on 10 March 1848. The 1851 census above shows that in the household with Charles and Mary Ann Woodcock in 24 Cow Cross Street, is 18 year old Jane Lusher, born in Norfolk. Jane may have been Mary Ann’s sister.

At the time of marriage Charles and Mary Ann were both 23 years old. Charles’s occupation is listed as “Butcher.” His father’s name is George Woodcock, who is also a Butcher. Mary Ann’s father is John Lusher, employed as a “Smith.” The witnesses to the marriage were Emma Barrett, William Barber, John Lusher, Hannah Lusher, and Maria Woodcock.

I’ve transcribed the FreeREG entry for the marriage below:

Date of Marriage: 10 March 1848

Groom: Charles Woodcock
Groom’s Age: 23
Groom’s Abode: East Harling
Groom’s Father: George Woodcock
Groom’s Father’s Occupation: Butcher

Bride’s Name: Mary Ann Lusher
Bride’s Age: 23
Bride’s Occupation:
Bride’s Abode: East Harling
Bride’s father: John Lusher
Bride’s father’s Occupation: Smith

Witnesses: Emma Barrett, William Barber, John Lusher, Hannah Lusher, Maria Woodcock

____

If you would like more than a transcription of the marriage as shown above, The LDS have filmed the church marriage of Charles Woodcock and Mary Ann Lusher, should you wish to access a copy of the original on microfilm. The microfilm number where the marriage can be found is 1596037.

I also uncovered the civil marriage index for Charles and Mary Ann. Their marriage was recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District for the March quarter of 1848. The marriage record can be found in Volume 13, Page 237 of the GRO registers:

Marriage March Quarter 1848

Mary Ann Lusher

Charles Woodcock

Page: 237
____

MARY ANN LUSHER

I looked for, but didn’t find a baptism index or baptism record for Mary Ann Lusher Woodcock, daughter of John Lusher, and Charles Woodcock’s wife. According to the 1848 marriage transcription, Mary’s father was John Lusher, employed as a Smith. The 1851 census had shown that 25 year old Mary Ann Woodcock was born in Norwich. Her age of 25 in 1851 places her year of birth in 1826.

I looked for Mary Ann Lusher in the 1841 census and may have located her, her parents, and siblings, though not in Norwich. The census shows the family were living in Reymerston, which is about 16 miles west of Norwich. The census shows that Mary Ann is the oldest child in the household at 15 year of age. Her father is 40 year old John Lusher, a blacksmith. Her mother is 35 year old Elizabeth. The other children in the household are 9 year old Jane; 6 year old Robert; and 2 year old Thomas. No address is listed for the family in Reymerston:

1841 England Census

Civil Parish: Reymerston
Hundred: Mitford

Address:

Registration District: Mitford
Sub-registration District: Mattishall

Piece: 780
Book: 11
Folio: 8
Page Number: 11

Name, Age, Sex, Occupation, Whether Born in Same County, Whether Born in Scotland, Ireland, or Foreign Parts

John Lusher, 40, Male, Blacksmith, Yes
Elizabeth Lusher, 35, Female, Yes
Mary Ann Lusher, 15, Female, Yes
Jane Lusher, 9, Female, Yes
Robert Lusher, 6, Male, Yes
Thomas Lusher, 2, Male, Yes

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 780; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Reymerston; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 8; Page: 11; Line: 3; GSU roll: 438864.
____

CHARLES WOODCOCK

The 1851 census shows that Charles Woodcock, husband of Mary Ann Lusher, was 24 years old, but his marriage record for 1848 gives his age as 23 years old. His age in these records means he was born sometime between 1824 and 1828. His marriage record also shows that his father is George Woodcock, who, like his son, was also employed as a butcher.

I first went to the LDS website to see if a copy of the original baptism record for Charles had been digitized. I found that it had, along with copies of the baptism records for many of his siblings. I had expected that George’s mother would be listed as Susan, as his daughter Mary Ann can be found in the 1861 and 1871 census enumerations with her grandmother Susan Woodcock in Whitehart Street, East Harling. Susan Woodcock was also found in the 1891 census with the family of George and Mary A Smith in Wymondham. But, I was incorrect. The baptism record for Charles, while it does show that his father was a butcher named George Woodcock, shows that his mother is listed as Sarah Gilbert, not Susan. I’ll have more about Susan Woodcock later.

As you will see below Charles’s date of birth is listed as June 31 1824. This may have been an error as there is no such date as June 31. More likely, he was born on July 31, 1824. The baptism record also shows that George was baptized in East Harling on October 24, by T.B. Wilkinson.

See a transcription of the baptism record below:

in the County of Norfolk in the year 1824

When Baptized: 1824. Born June 31, Baptized Oct. 24
No. 30
Child’s Christian Name: Charles, son of
Parents Name: George & Sarah Woodcock late Gilbert
Quality, Trade of Profession: Butcher
By whom the Ceremony was Performed: T.B. Wilkinson

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9KV-31M : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Charles Woodcock, 1824.
____

The next search involved looking for a digitized copy of the original marriage record for George Woodcock and Sarah Gilbert at the LDS website. I found the marriage, showing that George and Sarah were married in Sarah’s home parish of Banham, Norfolk, on 20 July 1819. These earlier marriage records did not include the occupation of the groom or the names and occupations of the groom and bride’s fathers. The minister who married George and Sara was John Surtees, the church rector. The witnesses to the marriage were John Gaynor, Mary Palmer, and Robert Kemp.

A transcription of the marriage record, from a copy of the original found at the LDS website from the Banham Bishop’s Transcripts, follows:

[ Page ]

MARRIAGES SOLEMNIZED IN THE Parish of Banham
in the County of Norfolk in the year one thousand, eight
hundred and nineteen

George Woodcock of the Parish
of East Harling
and Sarah Gilbert of this Parish

were married in this Church by Banns with Consent of
________________________ this twentieth Day of
July in the year one thousand, eight hundred, and nineteen

By me John Surtees, Rector

This Marriage was solemnized between us {Geo Woodcock, Sarah Gilbert

In the Presence of { John Gaynor, Mary Palmer, Robert Kemp

No. 50

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27C6-5MD : accessed 24 Nov 2013), George Woodcock and Sarah Gilbert, 1819.
____

I then found the combination birth and baptism indexes, transcriptions, or copies of the original records for five more children of George Woodcock and Sarah Gilbert. These records were found at both the LDS and FreeREG websites.

The names and the dates of birth or baptisms for these children (once again including Charles), are: Esther (1822); Charles (1824); Mary Ann (1826); George (1833); Harriet (1836); and Hannah Maria (1838). All the children were baptized in the Parish Church of East Harling

In addition to Charles, the LDS website digitized copies of the original baptism records for Esther, George, Harriet, and Hannah Maria Woodcock. The LDS website also has a baptism index for Mary Ann, but this index does not contain as much information about her, as does the transcription I found at the FreeREG website.

Below is a copy of the original baptism record for Esther Woodcock from the LDS website:

[Page ]

in the County of Norfolk in the year 1822

When Baptized: 1822. Born May 4th. Baptd July 28
No. 242
Child’s Christian Name: Esther, daughter of
Quality, Trade of Profession: Labourer
By whom the Ceremony was Performed: T.B. Wilikinson

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9KX-27N : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Esther Woodcock, 1822.
____

I’m not sure why the LDS did not digitize a copy of Mary Ann Woodcock’s baptism as an attachment to her baptism index. For the details of her baptism I went to the FreeREG website, where I transcribed Mary Ann baptism record from their own transcription:

Name: Mary Ann Woodcock
Date of Birth: 19 Nov 1826
Date of Baptism: 24 Dec 1826
Parents: George Woodcock & Sarah Gilbert
Abode: East Harling
Father’s Occupation: Butcher

____

Next are the copies of the original baptism records for George, Harriet, and Hannah Maria Woodcock. Along with Harriet’s baptism record, I’ve included a copy of her original church burial record for the year 1837. I’ve also included the burial record for the younger George Woodcock who died in 1854 at the age of 21:

[ Page 76 ]

in the County of Norfolk in the year 1833

When Baptized: 1833. Born July 15. Bapt. Aug 3
No. 54
Child’s Christian Name: George son of

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N6BT-87S : accessed 24 Nov 2013), George Woodcock, 1833.
____

[ Page 1 ]

BURIALS in the Parish of East Harling
in the County of Norfolk, in the Year 1854.

Name: George son of George Woodcock & Sarah Woodcock late Gilbert
No. 5
When Buried: Nov 16
By whom the Ceremony was performed: T.B. Wilkinson, Rector
Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDWJ-M5Y : accessed 24 Nov 2013), George Woodcock, 1854.
____

[ Page 92 ]

in the County of Norfolk in the year 1835

When Baptized: 1835. Born July 3. Bapt Nov. 2
No. 737
Child’s Christian Name: Harriet daughter of

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27C2-V9S : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Harriet Woodcock, 1836.
____

[ Page 51 ]

in the County of Norfolk, in the year One
Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty seven

Name: Harriet, daughter of George & Sarah Woodcock late Gilbert
No. 404
When Buried: July 30

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CL-VC6 : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Harriet Woodcock, 1837.
____

[Page 98 ]

in the County of Norfolk in the year 1838

When Baptized: 1838. Born June 20. Bapt June 22
No. 784
Child’s Christian Name: Hannah Maria daughter of
Parents Names: George & Sarah Woodcock late Gilbert
By whom the Ceremony was Performed: T.B. Wilkinson Rector

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXGL-1H3 : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Hannah Maria Woodcock, 1838.
____

While at the LDS website I learned why Sarah Woodcock was not listed as Mary Ann Smith’s grandmother in the census returns. I found that Sarah was buried from the East Harling Parish Church just 19 days after her daughter Hannah Maria was born. Sarah was 39 when she died in 1838.

Below is a copy of the original burial record for Sarah Woodcock late Gilbert:

(Page 54 )

in the County of Norfolk, in the year One
Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty eight

Name: Sarah, wife of George Woodcock late Gilbert
No. 432
When Buried: July 9

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JCDH-KWB : accessed 24 Nov 2013), Sarah Gilbert Woodcock, 1838.
____

Because Civil Registration of births, marriages, and deaths did not commence in England and Wales until July 1837, there will not be civil birth records for any of George and Sarah’s children except for Hannah Maria, who was born in 1838. I found her civil birth index at the FreeBMD website, plus the civil death index for Harriet Woodcock, who died in July of 1837. I also uncovered the 1838 civil death index for Sarah Woodcock. These indexes follow:

Death September Quarter 1837

Harriet Woodcock

Page: 85
____

Birth September Quarter 1838

Hannah Maria Woodcock

Page: 145
____

Death September Quarter 1838

Sarah Woodcock

Page: 99
____

If you order Sarah Woodcock’s death cert from the GRO, see if she had died due to complications related to childbirth, and also see if the informant who reported her death was her husband George.

Next I looked for George Woodcock and his children in the 1841 census. I wanted to see if he had married a lady named Susan between the time of his wife Sarah’s death in 1838, and the 1841 census.

I located 40 year old George Woodcock in the 1841 census living in Whitehart Street. His occupation is butcher. The only others in the household with him are his children, 15 year old Ester, 15 year old Charles, 14 year old Mary, and 8 year old George. Ages in these old census returns are not always accurate, hence Ester and Charles are listed as being the same age. All in the household were born in Norfolk.

The 1841 census transcription for George Woodcock and his children, from Ancestry.com, is below:

1841 England Census

Hundred: Guilt Cross

Piece: 775

Book: 5
Folio: 25

Name, Age, Sex, Occupation, Whether Born in Same County, Whether Born in Scotland, ireland, or Foreign Parts

George Woodcock, 40, Male, Butcher, Yes
Ester Woodcock, 15, Female, Yes
Charles Woodcock, 15, Male, Yes
Mary Woodcock, 14, Female, Yes
George Woodcock, 8, Male, Yes

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 775; Book: 5; Civil Parish: East Harling; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 25; Page: 7; Line: 6; GSU roll: 438861.
____

I then went to the 1851 census to see if George Woodcock was still in East Harling and if his wife was named Susan. I didn’t find the older George Woodcock in East Harling, but did locate his 17 year old son George living in Whitehart Street. His occupation is butcher. In the household with him is a 36 year old servant whose first name is Susan, and whose last name is hard to decipher. The Ancestry.com index spells her last names as Folcha. But, the interesting thing about her is, she was born in “Grate Barton,” Suffolk. This is the same birthplace as the Susan Woodcock found in the 1861 and 1871 census enumeration in East Harling, as well as in the 1891 census, where she is in the household of her granddaughter Mary A. Smith and Mary’s husband George, in Market Street, Wymondham.

In the 1861 census Susan Woodcock is listed as being a “Butcher’s Wife,” but in the 1871 and 1891 census she is a widow.

If you go back to the norfolkpub link, you’ll see that a Mrs. Susan Woodcock is the license holder for the Trowel and Hammer pub in East Harling. She took over the license from George Smith, and held the license from 1881 to 1883.

Below is the 1851 census transcription for 17 year old George Woodcock and his servant, 36 year old Susan Folcha:

1851 England Census

Address: Whitehart St

Sub-registration District: Banham
ED, institution, or vessel: 9b

Piece: 1822
Folio: 354

George Woodcock, Head, Unmarried, Male, 17, Butcher, Norfolk East Harling
Susan Folcha, Servant, Unmarried, Female, 36, House Keeper, Suffolk Grate Barton

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1822; Folio: 354; Page: 15; GSU roll: 207476.
____

My question now was, where was the older George Woodcock? I looked for him in Norfolk but didn’t find him. I then was fortunate enough to uncover him in London’s St Sepulchre Parish, residing in an Inn. The address of the inn is given as 16 Smithfield.

If you recall, in the 1851 census 24 year old Charles Woodcock and his 25 year old wife Mary A., and their 1 year old daughter were living in 24 Cow Cross Street, Parish of St. Sepulchre, London. This indicates that George was visiting his son and son’s family in London.

The 1851 census shows the older George Woodcock is a widower. He is shown to be a 53 year old butcher, born in East Harling, Norfolk. The name of the inn where he stayed is not given in the census:

1851 England Census

Civil Parish: St Sepulchre
County/Island: Middlesex

Address: 16 Smithfield

Registration District: West London
Sub-registration District: West London North
ED, institution, or vessel: 3d
Household Schedule Number: 115
Piece: 1526
Folio: 248
Page Number: 33

George Woodcock, Visitor, Widower, Male, 53, Butcher, Norfolk East Harling
____

Next, go back to the Google Map for Cow Cross Street, London, at: http://tinyurl.com/p75jgm6

Off the map, in the upper left hand corner of the page, you’ll see a prompt highlighted in blue labeled “Directions.” Click on Directions and a drop-down box labeled A will appear. In the A drop-down box type, “Smithfield Street, London, United Kingdom,” then click on, “Get Directions.” The next map shows that it is only a short walk from Cow Cross Street to Smithfield Street.

Once again concerning Susan Woodcock, I looked for her marriage to George Woodcock in Norwich and London, but didn’t find it. Then I thought she may have been married in her own parish in Suffolk. And so I looked for the marriage of George Woodcock and Susan Folcha between the years 1851 and 1861 in Suffolk, and found it at the FreeBMD website. But, the marriage index spells Susan’s name as “Fulcher,” rather than Folcha

The marriage was recorded in the Bury St Edmunds Registration District for the December quarter of 1854. The marriage record can be found in Volume 4a, Page 965 of the GRO registers. Another couple named Robert Frost and Maria West are also recorded in the index:

Marriages December Quarter 1854

Robert Frost
Susan Fulcher
Maria West
George Woodcock

Registration District: Bury St Edmunds

Volume: 4a

Page: 965
____

The Bury St Edmunds Registration District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for several towns and parishes in Suffolk, including Great Barton.

See the GenUKI link for confirmation:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/bury%20st%20edm...

The marriage index for George and Susan is the only instance where I found them together in one record. If you order the marriage record from the GRO ( Ididn’t find their marriage at the LDS or FreeREG websites ), you’ll be able to find out what her father’s name and occupation were.

I next found Susan Woodcock in the 1881 census, which shows she is 66 years old and the “InKeeper” of the Trowel & Hammer on Whitehart Street. This census agrees with the norwichpub entry found at:
http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolke/eastharling/ehartah.ht...

The 1881 census also shows that Susan is a widow, and that she was born in Gt. Barton, Suffolk. In the household with her is a barmaid, 19 year old Eliza Edward, born in Harling. Also in the household is a 24 year old lodger named Walter Osborne, employed as an agricultural labourer. He too was born in Harling:

1881 England Census

Address: Whitehart Street, Trowell and Hammer

Piece: 1972
Folio: 88

Susan Woodcock, Head, Widow, Female, 66, InKeeper, Suffolk Gt Barton
Eliza Edwards, Servt, Unmarried, Female, 19, Barmaid, Harling Norfolk
Walter Osborne, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 24, Ag Labourer, Harling Norfolk

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1972; Folio: 88; Page: 15; GSU roll: 1341475.
____

Below is what I believe to be the church burial record for George Woodcock the elder, who was buried from the East Harling Church of England Parish Church on 3 July 1867. At the time of death he was 69 year old. His occupation is not listed in the record. The burial ceremony was performed by the curate of St. Peter and St. Paul’s Church, T.B. Wilkinson:

[ Page 42 ]

in the County of Norfolk
in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and sixty seven

Name: George Woodcock
No. 333
When Buried: July 3

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JD7W-G52 : accessed 24 Nov 2013), George Woodcock, 1867.
____

The following is the civil death index for George Woodcock. The index shows that George’s death was recorded in the Guiltcross Registration District in the June quarter of 1867. He was 69 years old when he died. His death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 169 of the GRO registers:

Death June Quarter 1867

George Woodcock

Age at Death: 69

Page: 169
____

I then uncovered the civil death index for Susan Woodcock at the FreeBMD website. The index shows that Susan’s death was recorded in the Forhoe Registration District for the September quarter of 1892. Her death record can be found in Volume 4b, Page 106 of the GRO registers:

Death September Quarter 1892

Susan Woodcock

Page: 106
____

GEORGE WOODCOCK

In the 1841 census for East Harling, Norfolk, the elder George Woodcock’s age is listed as 40 years old, placing his year of birth in 1801. In the 1851 census, when he was lodging in a Smithfield, London inn, his age is 53, placing his year of birth in 1798. The 1851 census also shows he was born in East Harling. In addition, the 1877 East Harling church burial record for George Woodcock shows he was 69 years old when he died, also placing his year of birth in 1798.

With this information I looked for the East Harling Church of England baptism record for George Woodcock between the years 1795 and 1805. I searched for his baptism over a 10 year span of time to account for any possible errors in his age as listed in the 1841 and 1851 census enumerations.

I located a baptism record for a George Woodcock at the FreeREG website which may pertain to your ancestor. The record shows he was born on 12 August 1796, and baptized in the St. Peter & St. Paul Church of England, East Harling, on 14 August 1796. His parents are James Woodcock and Isabella Oxer. James’s occupation is not listed in the record, nor is the place of abode for the family.

See the transcription below:

Date of Birth: 12 August 1796
Date of Baptism: 14 August 1796
Parents: James Woodcock & Isabella Oxer
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

I then looked for the FreeREG church marriage record for James Woodcock and Isabella Oxer and found it. The marriage record shows that James and Isabella were married in the St. Peter & St. Paul Church of England on 14 October 1790. Their ages, James’s occupation, and names of their fathers are not recorded in the marriage record. The witnesses to the marriage were Rebecca Woodcock and George (Geo) Deane. The record also notes that James and Isabella were married by license rather than by banns. To read an explanation about a couple being married by license rather than by banns, go to the Wikipedia article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_license

Once at the article scroll down the page until you come to the sub-headings, “United Kingdom,” “England and Wales.”

The marriage record transcription from the FreeREG site is below:

Date of Marriage: 14 Oct 1790

Groom: James Woodcock
Groom’s Parish: East Harling
Groom’s Abode:
Groom’s Father:
Groom’s Father’s Occupation:

Bride’s Name: Isabella Oxer
Bride’s Parish: East Harling
Bride’s Occupation:
Bride’s Abode:
Bride’s father:
Bride’s father’s Occupation:

Witnesses: Rebecca Woodcock, Geo Deane, John Lusher, Hannah Lusher, Maria Woodcock

By License:

____

I then located the combination St Peter & St Paul birth and baptism records for four more Woodcock children. These children and their years of births and baptisms are: Esther (1792); Charles (1794); Rebecca (1802); and Ann (1805). You’ll notice in the record for Charles that his father is erroneously recorded as George rather than James, though Charles’s mother is recorded correctly as Isabella.

The records follow. I’ve also included the birth and baptism record for George Woodcock again so that you can see the chronology of all the births and baptisms:

Name: Esther Woodcock
Date of Birth: 9 July 1792
Date of Baptism: 9 July 1792
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

Name: Charles Woodcock
Date of Birth: 10 March 1794
Date of Baptism: 10 March 1794
Parents: George Woodcock & Isabella Oxer
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

Date of Birth: 12 August 1796
Date of Baptism: 14 August 1796
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

Name: Rebecca Woodcock
Date of Birth: 8 July 1802
Date of Baptism: 8 July 1802
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

Name: Mary Ann Woodcock
Date of Birth: 1 February 1805
Date of Baptism: 1 February 1805
Abode:
Father’s Occupation:

____

JOHN GATES SMITH

The 1871 marriage for George William Gates Smith and Mary Ann Alice Woodcock in the St. Peter Mancroft Church of England, Norwich, shows that George’s father, John Gates Smith, was a farmer. George William Gates Smith’s mother was Hannah Smith, and so it is a possibility that Hannah Smith and John Gates Smith were cousins, though I can’t prove that. Also, I couldn’t uncover any further information about John Gates Smith which shows he was related to Hannah Smith or her son George William Gates Smith of East Harling, Norfolk.

T.B. WILKINSON

You’ve noticed by now that T.B. Wilkinson, who was first the curate and then the rector of St. Peter & St. Paul’s Church of England in East Harling, officiated over the baptisms, marriages, and burials of many of your ancestors throughout the 19th century.

If you go back to the LDS copies of the original records you’ll see that the earliest record I found for T.B. Wilkinson is when he baptized Robert Smith, son of George Smith and Susannah Ling on 7 February 1819. In this record he is listed as the curate of the church, which is a step below the rector. One of the later records where T.B. Wilkinson’s name is recorded is for the burial of George Woodcock in East Harling on 3 July 1867. T.B. Wilkinson also baptized George Gates Smith in 1849, and George’s mother Hannah Smith in 1830.

Because T.B. Wilkinson was involved with the religious affairs of your Smith and Woodcock ancestors in East Harling over many years, I wanted to see if I could learn more about him. I discovered that his full name was Thomas Boston Wilkinson from a copy of his burial record found at the LDS website, which shows he had died in East Harling on 19 October 1888. His death record states he had been the rector of the Parish for 59 years at the time of his death. His age at death was 90 years old. His burial appears to have been officiated by a relative, W. Farley Wilkinson, the rector of the parish of Glinton, Norfolk.

A transcription of Thomas Boston Wilkinson’s burial record is below:

[ Pages 95, 96 ]

In the County of Norfolk in the Year 1888-9

Name: Thomas Boston Wilkinson, Rector of the Parish for 59 years.
No. 756
Abode: East Harling
When Buried: Oct. 19th
By whom the Ceremony was performed: W. Farley Wilkinson, Offg Min, Rector of Glinton

Citing this Record
"England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27ZJ-C7L : accessed 28 Nov 2013), Thomas Boston Wilkinson, 1888.
____

CONCLUSION

Terry, though your grandfather Donald Oscar Smith and most of his siblings were born in Wymondham, Norfolk, the ancestral homeland for his Smith and Woodcock ancestors is East Harling, as many of the above records show. Throughout this reply you have seen LDS indexes referencing the East Harling Church of England (St. Peter & St. Paul) parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths, with accompanying microfilm numbers.

The microfilm number that will contain most of the existing parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for St. Peter & St. Paul’s Church of England is film number 1565790, which you saw earlier. This film covers baptisms, marriages, and burials beginning in 1538. The LDS have not digitized copies of all of the records contained in microfilm number 1565790, as far as I can tell, which means you’ll want to order this film from your nearest Family History Center to see how many other of your Smith and Woodcock ancestors you can find in the registers for St. the Peter & St. Paul Church of England.

The LDS have also filmed East Harling Monumental Inscriptions, that is, gravestone inscriptions for East Harling from 1756 to 1980, though information about this film does not say if the monumental inscriptions for the St. Peter & St. Paul Church of England are included. You would have to order the film to find out. Information is below:

East Harling churchyard record [monumental inscriptions]

Format: Manuscript/Manuscript on Film

Language: English

Publication: Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2002

Physical: on 1 microfilm reel : plan. ; 35 mm.

Notes:
Microfilm copy of transcript [typescript] at the Norfolk Record Office in Norwich, England.

Includes index.

Norfolk Record Office no.: SO/WI 61.

Subjects
England, Norfolk, East Harling - Cemeteries
Film Notes (This family history center has 1 of 1 films/fiche.)
Note Location Collection/Shelf Film/DGS
Monumental inscriptions, dates range from ca. 1756 to 1980. Family History Library British Film 2299520 Item 13.
____

The East Harling Monumental Inscriptions can be found in microfilm number 2299520 Item 13, which can be ordered from your nearest Family History Center, or public library that has permission to order the microfilms from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Concerning present-day relatives, there may still be Smiths and Woodcocks living in or near East Harling, Norfolk. One way you may be able to find out is to write or email the St. Peter & St. Paul parish priest, the Revd. Sarah Marie Oakland, explaining that your Smith and Woodcock ancestors in the 19th century had owned a pub named the Trowel & Hammer, located in Whitehart Street. You can ask the Revd. Oakland if she would be so kind as to enquire amongst her parishioners if they may be related to you or may know someone in the area who may be related to the Smith and Woodcock families who had lived in East Harling in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Contact information for the Revd. Oakland can be found at:
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/east-harling-st-peter-st-paul/

Also, before spending money ordering microfilms from the Family History Center or public library, and before ordering civil birth, marriage, and death records from the GRO in Southport, England, I recommend that you access the same indexes you see in this reply that I did, to see if you agree that these records pertain to the ancestors you are looking for. By accessing the records at FamilySearch, FreeBMD, and FreeREG, you may uncover even more information about your Wymondham and East Harling ancestors. If you do not already have a subscription to Ancestry.com, you may want to consider one, as you may uncover further information about your ancestors at Ancestry.com, than from any other website.

Best of Luck Terry,

Dave Boylan
Attachments:

Re: Lieut. Col. Ernest Guy Patrick SMITH born abt. 1878 in Wymondham and died in 1952, Poringland

Posted: 30 Nov 2013 9:40AM GMT
Dave, I can't say enough "thank you" for what you have found and passed on to me. This will keep me busy for quite a while. Membership has been purchased!

Posted: 30 Nov 2013 8:32PM GMT
You're welcome Terry, and thank you for writing back.

Kind Regards,

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic