Search for content in message boards

Suggestion to Ancestry Regarding Private Trees

Suggestion to Ancestry Regarding Private Trees

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 8:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
People certainly have the right to make their tree private. No problem.

However, I would like to see a new rule. If a tree is private, then all other trees are defaulted to private for that person.

I recently had a potential 3rd cousin match in DNA whose tree was private. I asked to share their tree. Replied he prefers to keep private, ok. No problem. However, he began to explain to me that we had no tree matches, only one surname in 1700s and began to describe my tree. Of course, 3rd cousin DNA, quite plausible that one of us has a mistake and hence no match. But not the point. The point is this person has access to any public tree for his own private use, but doesn't allow public access to his.

Another example: I see people updating their trees with my stuff. Again, no problem. Heck I probably got from others too. However, I don't like when I click on the tree of the person accessing my data, and I get the private tree notice!

I want other public tree owners to see my tree. I don't want any private tree owner have access to my tree.

Ancestry! If a person has a private tree, default all trees for their eyes as private. I doubt we will have many private trees after this.

Re: Suggestion to Ancestry Regarding Private Trees

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 6:30AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2013 6:38PM GMT
Assuming for a moment that acom implements your idea, what is to prevent a private tree owner from creating a mock public tree while maintaining their private tree, thus giving them access to all the public trees. Don't forget public trees are one of the databases paid subscribers have access to... not to mention the fact there are people who don't even have a tree on ancestry who have access to the public trees and you have no idea they have copied anything from you.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 6:29PM GMT
And what about Mundia.com.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 11:31PM GMT
OP See if you still feel the same after you read this thread:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.membertree.member...

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 11:34PM GMT
Not to mention that any Ancestry.com subscriber or free-trial user can have a tree or trees on any of the many other tree sites which could be composed of scrapings from any trees they have access to.

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 3:57AM GMT
Let me understand this - you contacted the tree owner, whose tree was private. He/she did not choose to make the entire tree available to you, but DID take the time and effort to figure out whether there was anything that actually would be potentially important to you, and responded to let you know that there was not - and you repay this kindness with vilification. Is that about the size of it? What exactly is wrong with what this person did - beyond choosing not to make the tree public, of course?

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 3:57AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2013 4:02AM GMT
One other thing - many people with private trees would not care a whit if all trees were unavailable to them, since the vast majority are unsourced, or sourced only to other trees, and therefore are pretty much useless and irrelevant to a researcher.

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT
What happens then if someone has a private tree but also a public tree?
I have more than one tree and 2 are private the rest are public?

Also, what happens for the people who help on the message boards?
They need to be able to see peoples trees to assist in lookups.
There are thousands of 'queries' each day on the message boards asking for help and if the 'helpers' were forced to have public trees then I think they'd just stop helping.

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 11:48PM GMT
I've worked hard to assure that my research is accurate and well-documented. I finally tired of those who copied documents, photos, etc., from my tree to the WRONG person/family/century.

I still have a tree with all the photos/documents/etc., but it is private. I also have a public tree with all the source records attached.

It is a little more work for me to maintain 2 trees - but only a little. It's worth it to me to avoid the aggravation of seeing that someone has once again attached the tintype of my 2nd great grandfather to another person with a similar name in a different century/country/family.

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 12:10AM GMT
I notice that you are referring to DNA matches in regard to this . There have been some changes considering the handling of private trees for people who have done the testing. Try sending a PM to one of the regulars on those boards. I think they will be able to address this better than I can. I am still learning about it myself.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic