Search for content in message boards

William McMeekin, wife Margaret, Co. Antrim

William McMeekin, wife Margaret, Co. Antrim

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 4:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McMeekin/Beggs/Boyd/Gillespie
I have found the will of William McMeekin who died in Feb.1863 in Co. Antrim. His wife was Margaret and I don't think they had any children although William did have a sister Elizabeth who was married to a Mr. Gillespie and had a son William alive in 1863.
William was selling his land in Ballygallock to Thomas Beggs, who is a relative of mine. Can anyone tell me where Ballygallock is? Does anyone know the maiden name of Margaret?
I gather that there is a family connection between Thomas and William. Thomas Begg's wife was Margaret Boyd.
Any help appreciated.
Peggy

Re: William McMeekin, wife Margaret, Co. Antrim

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 12:32PM GMT
Hi

Ballygallagh/Ballygelagh is a townland in the parish of Ballylinny, Ballyclare.

Maggie

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Mcmeekin
Hi

Found this and believe it may be related to your research.

Cogry-Kilbride is a village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, about 4 km west of Ballyclare. The village encompasses the two townlands of Cogry and Kilbride. It had a population of 1,195 people in the 2001 census. Kilbride is also a civil parish

The names Cogry and Kilbride come from Irish: Coigríoch, meaning "border-land, frontier"[2] and Cill Bhríde meaning "Bríd's church".[3] Kilbride is also called Burnside as it is beside a small river (or "burn"). The "Cogry Burn" forms a narrow, wooded corridor through the village centre and the mill buildings at the foot of the valley slopes are a prominent landmark to the south of the village.
Cogry was originally a mill village built and owned by the McMeekin family during the mid 19th century, who also owned Cogry Mill. But it declined in the 1950s with the closure of the mill and the demolition, in the 1970s, of Cogry Square. In recent years the village has been revitalised by housing development. As the two settlements are so close they are often treated as one.

Maggie

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: McMeekin/Beggs/Boyd
Thank you very much, Maggie. This all fits with the will that I found. And with the family history that I am uncovering. I have a letter that says that Thomas Beggs, who married my Margaret Boyd, was acquiring land from a relative named McMeekin. I haven't figured out how McMeekin is related and I didn't have his first name but this will mentions that this William is selling land in Ballygallock i.e. Ballygallagh to Thomas Beggs. I know that Margaret's mother was from Kilbride. The letters that I have are addressed to Ballyvoy. I wonder how close Ballyvoy is to Ballygallagh. I also know that Thomas had more than one piece of land. Another thing I was looking at is the Carnmoney Stud Books which show the residents of different parishes in Carnmoney in 1813. There is a William McMeekin listed in the parish of Rashee two listings away from Widow Boyd, who I think is Margaret's grandmother.
Thanks again for all the information that you have given me. Much appreciated.
Peggy

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 3:46PM GMT
Griffiths Valuation for 1862 lists William McMeekin as having 11.5 acres of land in Ballygallagh (plot 13) as well as a house, outbuildings and a garden nearby (plot 15b). So I don’t think there’s much doubt that this is the correct location.

William didn’t have outright ownership of the land. It was owned by the Marquis of Donegal and what Wm was leaving in his will would therefore have been the unexpired portion of the lease.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: McMeekin/Beggs/Boyd
Thanks Elwyn. All this is enlightening. Could Thomas have then sublet whatever properties he had?
Peggy

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 4:07PM GMT
Yes. That was very common.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: McMeekin/Beggs
I have learned that there was another Thomas Beggs in Ballygallough with wife Rachel. So likely it was this Thomas purchasing land from William, instead of my Thomas, wife Margaret. Funny, there is more than one McMeekin selling land to a Thomas Beggs.
Peggy

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 7:38PM GMT
If you want to track what became of the properties in that townland, you need to study the Griffiths Revaluation books in PRONI, Belfast. They trace each property forward from the Primary Valuation. They go up to 1930 and will tell you of any changes of landlord and tenant. (VAL 12B series of records, covering Ballyckare Urban district, in PRONI). After 1930 there is a further series of valuations that should take you up to around 1960. Again in PRONI.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 7:51PM GMT
Graveyard Name: Rashee Old
Parish: Rashee
Town/Townland: Rashee
County: Antrim
Surname: McMEEKEN, BEGGS
Inscription: This stone was erected by his father in memory of his son William McMeeken, of Rashee, who departed this life May 26th 1811, aged 12 years, also his mother Margaret Beggs, who departed this life October 28th 1815, aged 57 years
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions