Search for content in message boards

Request Belfast Street Directory 1941 lookup!

Request Belfast Street Directory 1941 lookup!

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 5:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to track down John Finlay, labourer, ought to be living at 233 Tennent Street, (Shankhill area), Belfast, in 1941.If anybody could help with a lookup I'd be so grateful! In 1935 he was living outside Belfast, in Gortgrib. I'm hoping to find out how long he lived at the Belfast address as this may determine when he died. He was in his 50s in 1941, and by 1968 he is listed as "deceased" on his son's marriage certificate. There are so many John Finlays in Belfast & Co. Down that I'm hoping this info may narrow them down. Thanks!

Re: Request Belfast Street Directory 1941 lookup!

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 10:41PM GMT
233 Tennent Street, Belfast in 1941 - Laughlin, Mrs R - this name continues to at least 1969.
In 1935 - Laughlin, D Coach Painter.
It is possible that John Finlay was a lodger in which case he would not be named in the street directories.

John / J Finlay listed in 1941 alphabetical section (note does not always include all names)

Finlay John agent 56 Wellinngton Place
Finlay John building inspector 65 Lomond Avenue
Finlay John G joiner 22 Glenside Parade
Finlay John M 8 Windsor Park
Finlay J ins agent 10 Whitewell Parade
Finlay J prov merchant 45 Glenbank Drive
Finlay J 33 Osborne Park
Finlay J B violinist 64 Divis Dve
Finlay J F clerk 282 Woodstock Road
Finlay J H The Orchard Knock Road
Finlay J W F accountant 183 Cedar Ave

Hope this helps
Regards
Jayne

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 6:10PM GMT
Thanks Jayne, good work! Such a shame he's not there "officially", but as he's a labourer, makes sense that he would also be a lodger, his wife having left him long before and taken the children with her. I was hoping to use this 1941 address as a means to gain an age, anything! Oh well, back to square 1.
Regards,
Patricia.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 10:37PM GMT
Hi Patricia
Try the 1911 and 1901 Census of Ireland. If you estimate he was in his 50s in 1941 then he would have been in his 20s at the 1911 Census. If you know his religion then exclude those that do not match because of profession or family this might reduce the number of potential matches to a reasonable number. Same with the 1901 census.

Link: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Jayne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions