Search for content in message boards

African American Cemeteries

African American Cemeteries

Posted: 13 Feb 2002 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2003 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: BRANCH, NORMAN, BRANDYBERG
I would like to locate my gr.grandparents' graves. Born around 1860, they lived and died in or around Pattison or Brookshire, Waller County Texas sometime after 1900. Does anyone know the names and locations of African American cemeteries in the area? Thank you.

Re: African American Cemeteries

felicia bragg (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2002 2:34PM GMT
Memorial Oaks Cemetery, Brookshire-Patterson Road: Ivry Brandburg (as spelled), 1919-1937; Mary Brandyburge (as spelled); Lawrence Brandyburg, June 1976; Joe Brandyburge (as spelled); Nellie Branch; Alex Branch, Sr; Alex Branch.

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 12:13AM GMT
A small town outside of Pattison, that now uses Brookshire as it's mailing address is Sunny Side, Texas. It was settled primarily by African Americans. It has two African American Cemetaries. One is on Mt Zion Road and the other is near what was the "colored" school (the original school burned down), so that would be the last one. I don't know the street off the top of my head, but both have early settlers graves. Sunny Side became part of Waller County in 1873, prior to that, it was part of Austin County.

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 6:37AM GMT
Is there a funeral home in Waller that would have info of the graves located in the cemetary? I am trying to locate my father who was buried there in 1934.

Melva

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 6:41AM GMT
Surnames: Garner
Is there a funeral home in Waller that would have info of the graves located in the cemetary? I am trying to locate my father Melvin Garner who was buried there in 1934.

Melva

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 6:41AM GMT
Surnames: Garner
Is there a funeral home in Waller that would have info of the graves located in the cemetary? I am trying to locate my father Melvin Garner who was buried there in 1934.

Melva

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 8:19PM GMT
Do you know what town in Waller County he is from or might be buried? There is a Waller, Waller Co too. My response was in regard to Sunny Side, Waller Co.

I did find this site very informative regarding Waller Co.

http://www.geocities.com/wallercogensoc/?200727

Posted: 30 Dec 2007 4:55AM GMT
I only know it is the town of Hempstead in Waller County. My uncle took me to the grave site many years ago, I only remember it was near a highway, but I do not know which one. It was probably family owned because it had an old fence around it. The markers were not visible. I remember there was an old tree there and I was told my grandmother was buried on the same line as the tree. My father and other relatives are buried there . Would the city or the county have records of family owned burial grounds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007 4:56AM GMT
I only know it is the town of Hempstead in Waller County. My uncle took me to the grave site many years ago, I only remember it was near a highway, but I do not know which one. It was probably family owned because it had an old fence around it. The markers were not visible. I remember there was an old tree there and I was told my grandmother was buried on the same line as the tree. My father and other relatives are buried there . Would the city or the county have records of family owned burial grounds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 7:12AM GMT
Thanks for the info on the cemeteries. We have visited one several years back, but it was not the one. Really, from talking to a family member this was a family owned plot. Only a few family members were buried ther when we went to it. My uncle used to go and cut the greases.I was told it had a picket fence around it. I remember seeing a trailer house near it. My uncle memory is not good so he does not remember where it is located. We have talked to someone at the funeral home without any luck.

Thanks
Melva
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions