Search for content in message boards

Gallop. harbour breton, newfoundland

Gallop. harbour breton, newfoundland

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 10:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: gallop
I am the great great gradndaughter of William Joshua Gallop.
Maria,surname name unknown, (though believed to have originated from there,) was my great great grandmother.
William worked for Newman and co....
I am the direct descendant from William Joshua, to William Curtis, to Edward Curtis to Josephine Curtis Gallop , my mother.
I am travelling to Breton harbour this coming summer and would love to connect with other family members, seek further information and details... can you help ?

Re: Gallop. harbour breton, newfoundland

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 3:30PM GMT
I am also researching GALLOP in NL. There appear to be 2 ,likely connected, families. Yours who were connected to Newman and Co. firm in the early 1800's and my line of William Gallops that were there in the late 1700's

Here is some of what I have on your William and Maria and their line
William Joshua Gallop married Sarah, possibly Sarah Jane, Organ 1831 . He died 2 Sept 1857 and is buried in Furby's cove, Hermitage Bay. Supposedly had 2 children, John 1830 and William Joshua 1831 both in Gaultois.

William Joshua and Maria had 3 sons. William Joshua 1859-1870 who died in Winterborne- Kingston and is buried there. Charles Veale Gallop 1859 and Thomas Clench 1865
Maria died 1870 and William then Married Emily Baker Mullins daughter of Randolph John Mullins of HM Customs. They were married in St Clement Dane in London. They lived in Deptford Kent in 1881 and had Edward, Curtis, Harry, and Emily Maria

William Joshua Gallop was with Newman and Co and was also a JP, on the Board of Road Commissioners and Coronor in Harbour Breton. He received a Crown Land Grant 17 July 1872.

My William Gallop left ship in the Lamaline Roads and walked over land to Fortune where he married Mary Kearly . Their first child was born in 1795 in Fortune. We do not know for sure if it was a British, Canadian or American ship. The first Gallops in the New World were those from Stroud Dorset that came on the Mary and John in 1630. Later some of these Gallops were Royalists and went to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Some remained in Mass. and Conn and some went to the Carolinas and Texas. The naming patterns in New Brunswick are the same as those in Boston, Newfoundland and Dorset. Many Williams, Joshuas, Henrys, and Johns.

I am in contact with some Gallops in Nova Scotia and Ontario who are cousins of mine. It would be interesting if DNA could be obtained from the males and compared with yours males (if any)
My Gallop tree is on Ancestry. ALso my Grant tree which is my working tree.
Pat, in Michigan

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: gallup/gallop.gallope.
Hi folks I am related to john Gallop that landed in 1630 and it is so interesting to meet the other side of the family. I am looking for stories, information, pictures of the Gallup/gallop in england. Anyone have some to share.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 9:35PM GMT
I see no mention of William Porter Curtis GALLOP who was born to William Joshua and Emily (no surname on baptism certificate which I have) in early 1871, baptized may 14, 1871 in Harbour Breton. He was my great grandfather and I also have a copy of a baptism certificate for his elder sister, Emily maria veal born on may 5, 1869 and baptized June 13 in Harbour Breton – I have a copy of her death certificate (she died in 1946 aged 77, a spinster)

I have a copy of the marriage certificate for William Porter Curtis GALLOP marrying Emily Clare Bellingham in London on June 8, 1901.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 9:37PM GMT
sorry that last message was for Pat.... many thanks for writing back earlier

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 11:24PM GMT
Mandi I believe the Gallop, Clench and Veales are all from the area around Bere Regis, Winterbourn Kingston and Anderson in Dorset. A Joshua Gallop married Ann Clench 5 Jan 1802 and on 16 Oct 1592 a Willliam Veale married a Luce Clench in Bere Regis
The names I have for Emily's children are those on the 1881 census for Deptford, Kent. I have Edward Francis Baker Gallop married in 1896 in England to Alice Trowell daughter of Charles TRowell of New Cross
In 1866 W.J. Gallop gave 3 pounds and Edward Clench Gallop gave 10 shillings to the Cof E in Gaultois. In the same yar William was the Consulate for Portugal from Harbour Breton

Would love to share
Pat, in Michigan

William Gallop who went with the Rev. Wix on his visit to the outports in 1835 was an agent for Newman and Co. and a graduate of the Free Naval School attached to Greenwich Hospital in England. He had an 8 oared gig. It was on this trip that they went to Cpdroy and the first 3 children of my William Gallop who married Jane Samms were received into the C. of E. Previous generations had been in the Methodist Church in Fortune.

Maria Gallop died 11 Dec 1866 age 27. She is buried in Hermitage, NL
Thomas Clench Gallop married Elizabeth Veale in Dartmouth She the daughter of Thomas Veale and Agnes Passmore
Edward Clench Gallop Esquire was the executor of a will 29 July 1878 in Hermitage, Gaultios. 1894 he was with Newman and Co.. He was in Harbour Breton in 1898Mary Elizabeth Gallop his wife died 18 Feb 1891 and is buried in Hertimage
Edward supposedly went to a private school in England
Thomas Clench Gallop died age 52 June 1891 in Barton Regis, Gloustershire. He was iat 83 Queen Street in Woolborough, Devon

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 11:31PM GMT
Thankyou for all of this . A burning question is do you have any record of Maria surname , maiden name ?

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 11:32PM GMT

We are uncertain if our NL Gallops are all related. It would be great if my male Gallops ,yours and Mandi could have DNA comparisons. I foound ouot from DNA that My Eustace line in Ireland has a living match in Dublin and met him 3 years ago.
Pat. in Michigan

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 11:44PM GMT
No, all I have is what is on her tombstone.
Mail me your e-mail. Mine is mpgrant@wowway.com. I have reams on the Gallops that I started collecting over 15 years ago.
Pat

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 11:48PM GMT
Did you know that a William Gallop arrived in Fogo NL 9 May 1818 on the erserverance? You might be able to get information on the ships records at the Admiralty in England
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic