Search for content in message boards

George Lovering from Shabbona, Illinois

George Lovering from Shabbona, Illinois

Posted: 23 May 2009 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knell, Lovering, Hooper, Olmstead
I am trying to find information of the family of George Knell, aho married Harriet Hooper in 1852. They sailed to the USA soon after, settling in Illinois.

They had one daughter, Elizabeth who married a George Lovering from Shabbona, Illinois.

They had two children, William K Lowering and a daughter (name unknown) who became Mrs W J Olmstead

Thanks

Re: George Lovering from Shabbona, Illinois

Posted: 28 Dec 2010 4:55AM GMT
I have information about this family, as I am related to them. I am a great great great grandaughter of George's. My father was named after him and was raised on the family farm in Shabbona. Who are you related to?

Posted: 28 Dec 2010 11:43AM GMT
Hello
I am not directly related to the Lovering family. However my story is as follows:-

In an old family photo there was a photo of a beautiful little girl, the mount saying DeKalb Illinois. We have always wondered who she is.

My Gt Gt Grandmother was Rachel Hooper who married a Charles Philpot. They went to America in 1876 with their five children, but unfortunately Charles died in Shabbona and Rachel returned to the UK by the 1881 census.

Whilst trying to find out how Charles died and where he was buried I came accross an item in an old book of the history of Dekalb County with the story of George Knell, who was married to Harriet Hooper - Rachel's older sister. They had left the UK a few years earlier. The story of her parents ties up exactly so their is no doubt of the connection.

With these facts I have tried to trace and name the little girl in the photo, probably as Rachel's niece.

Which is why I was trying to trace someone directly connected to George Lovering, as either they may know the name of the little girl or if they would like a copy of this photo.

Regards

Posted: 31 Dec 2010 12:09PM GMT
Hello

I have been looking through my notes again and George Knell and Harriet Hooper had one little girl called Elizabeth Harriet, who was born in 1853. She married George Lovering from Shabonna. They had two children, I believe, a girl and a boy.

I think that the photo I have, must be of this child, I think the quality is too good for it to have been Elizabeth H which would have been taken around 1860's.

I would be very interested to hear your views on this. I will gladly send you a copy of the photo, (but do not feel I would like to post it 'open' on the internet at present).

Looking back I realise we would be very distant cousins! But maybe some of my history may help you trace your ancestors from England!

Regards

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 12:09AM GMT
Dear Mame. I am the great grandson of Nelson John Lovering, one of George's younger brothers. I would love to talk with you and share info, pictures etc.

Ron Goings
Clifton Forge Va
formerly from Iowa

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 5:40PM GMT
Dear Mame. I am the great grandson of Nelson John Lovering, one of George's younger brothers. I would love to talk with you and share info, pictures etc.

Ron Goings
Clifton Forge Va
formerly from Iowa

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 8:58PM GMT
Hello Ron,
I am the great granddaughter of George Lovering of Shabbona. His son, William Knell Lovering is my father's father. My father was named after George. As a child I visited the farm in Shabbona frequently and have many fond memories. We still have some property in Shabbona.
Sherri Lovering Denton

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 7:35AM GMT
Hello Sherri
I am interested in your family because my Gt Gt Grandmother was Rachel Hooper. Her older sister was Harriet Hooper, who married George Knell, who travelled to America in the early days. I have some photo's I would be pleased to share with you if you wished. I also have found an extract from a book of Illinois history which tells their story. My Gt Gt Grandparents followed Harriet & George to Illinois, but my Gt Gt Grandfather died after about a year or so, so my Gt Gt Grandmother brought her five children back to the UK. Otherwise my family history would be completly different!
I think the only way I can send you these photo's is to exchange email addresses, which I am happy to do if you are.
I would very much like to hear more of your story and memories.
Regards
Caroline Watt

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 2:03PM GMT
Dear Sherri

My email address is rjspkids@hotmail.com. Do you subscribe to ancestry.com?

Ron Goings
per page

Find a board about a specific topic