Search for content in message boards

ROBERT CRAIG - KATY DORRANCE

ROBERT CRAIG - KATY DORRANCE

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 9:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CRAIG - DORRANCE
I am looking for assistance with finding out more about my 5th Great Grandfather Robert CRAIG. Robert, along with wife Katy, and their five children departed County Antrim some time in 1789 bound for America. Katy and the children landed in South Carolina. Robert is alleged to have died at sea. I have been unable to find anything regarding their lives and ancestors in Ireland. Can anyone lend a hand?

Regards,
Bill Craig
Virginia Beach, VA

Re: ROBERT CRAIG - KATY DORRANCE

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 4:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
You would be having great difficulty looking pre-1850 in Ireland as there is little documental history. There are only 2 Parish with records prior to 1800 and the census substitute
Griffith Valuation wasn't done in Antrim till 1862.

Two sources for parish information in Antrim:

www.emeraldancestors.com free to view but pay for records
www.rootsireland.ie not for profit but pay to view and records

You could check for the parents and the youngest child in the hopes that they belong to the one parish. Catholic or
Protestant?

I did check the Griffith Valuation 1862 to find 321 Craigs in Antrim. The names of Robert and Katy's children may give you some leads as to which Craig's might be related. No Dorrance in Antrim in 1862

There are 38 Craig's in the british northern ireland telephone book. 0 Dorrance. If you knew where in Antrim it would help but if not pick a few from the list and try writing some letters. You might find someone who knows their family history or spark and interest or even just some help.

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions