Search for content in message boards

Edward J. Smith & Susannah Wilkinson/Marion or Harrison Co. VA/WV

Edward J. Smith & Susannah Wilkinson/Marion or Harrison Co. VA/WV

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 12:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Janes/Jaynes/Wilkinson/Preston/Righter/Willis/Elder/Ball/Ballard/Chambers
Looking for info on Edward J. SMith and wife Susannah Wilkinson Smith. They were married in Harrison Co. VA/WV on 19 March 1841. Edward died on 18 January 1853 and was born abt. 1815. Susannah was born 1 June 1816 and died on 29 October 1898, they both are buried in the Nixon #2 Cemetery in Marion Co. Susannah never remarried. Their children were: Mary Ann Smith b. abt. 1841, Washington Smith b. abt. 1845, Luther Thomas Smith b. abt. 1847, Joseph L SMith b. abt. 1848 and Caroline V. Smith b. abt. 1852 or 1853. Son Joseph SMith married Emeline Watkins in 1878 Marion Co. Caroline married James Bartlett in Marion Co. on 25 November 1877, she is listed as "Carrie" on the marriage and as "Clara" in the 1880 Marion Co. Census. THey were listed with one child "Estella" J. Smith age one year. Susannah is listed as "Susan SMith" and she's living with them. I'm attempting to locate just who the parents of Susannah Wilkinson SMith were. My "gut" feeling is that they are Joseph Wilkinson III and Rachel Shinn. If anyone knows anything about these people please contact me. Thank you , Jana

Re: Edward J. Smith & Susannah Wilkinson/Marion or Harrison Co. VA/WV

George (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 12:58PM GMT
Can't find anything convincing. The best bet is a Marriage or Marriage Bond record in the Harrison County Courthouse. Should tell who Susannah's parents. The other possibility is her death record. Didn't find it in Marion County. Do you know where she died?

There is a will in Virginia for Isaac Shinn dated August 1845 that names sons Sam and Isaac, and daughters Deborah Davisson, Lucretia, Agnes Battle, Susan Berkley, and Rachel Wilkinson.

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 9:40PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2004 12:39AM GMT
Thanks for the reply George.
Her bond doesn't have any parents. I haven't looked at her death cc yet, the next time I'm over in Marion Co. I'll look. I don't know when that will be. But I do think she did die in Marion Co. but who knows, could have been in Harrison Co. Or did you already look in Marion Co.??? I don't know if the Nixon #2 Cem there in Marion has the burial records that tell the parents or not. I don't think Susannah would be in Isaac Shinn's will since Rachel his daughter was alive when he died. But the parentage of Susannah Wilkinson Smith has nagged at me for some time. :>) I have "tracked" a couple of Susannah and Edwards children and can find no one who is working on them yet. Her daughter Caroline "Carrie" V. Smith married James Bartlett and I even posted on that Board. Are you related to the Smith's or Wilkinson's ???

Mary Brinkley (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2004 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas
Hi Jana, just saw your query of january, and wanted to check with you. what branch of the Thomas family are you related to. i ask because i am researching the thomas family of marion county. so far i have most of the names back to about 1750. my grt-grt-grandfather was joseph thomas; grt g'father was Israel; g'father was Dr. william nelson thomas; my father was Dr. claude thomas. all of these gentlemen were born in marion co. my g'mother was mary ella tennant. would be interested to find out if you know anything about my people.

Jana Jaynes Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2004 3:22PM GMT
Hi Mary,
I'm sorry I can't help you but Thomas is my married name. My ex-husband's family is from Tyler Co. WV, none of them are from the Marion, Harrison Co. area. His grandmother and grandfather were from New York and his mother (Cousten) is the only one born in WV, I have no idea about his father's (the Thomas family) side is from except Tyler Co. WV.
Jana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic