Search for content in message boards

W. R. Boggs

W. R. Boggs

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 4:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Who was W. R. Boggs? I know he was an ORB (Old Regular Baptist) minister in SE Kentucky, probably Letcher County. I have his picture in with a group of 14 ORB ministers, and the caption says, "Blessed Are the Dead Who Die in the Lord." The composite picture was compiled around 1930, and all of the men were probably pastors of the same ORB association, possibly former ministers of the same church. I know a Silliam R. Boggs was pastor of Oven Fork Church in 1897. If this is the one in the picture, I would like to know more about him. Who was his wife? Parents? Children?
fredwyn@gmail.com

Re: W. R. Boggs

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 1:01AM GMT
I found this post while researching the photo you mentioned. William Riley Boggs was my gg grandfather and I have info on him if you are still interested. Let me know.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 1:20AM GMT
W. R. Boggs was my gg grandfather as well through his son Irvin. I have done no research on my Boggs family but believe my mother has some of his belongings which she inherited a year ago after my grandmother's passing.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 5:31PM GMT
Looks like this was posted about two years ago, but I just now found it. I am very interested in Rev. Boggs. My late mother and I were doing an article on the 14 ORB ministers mentioned previously.
Several were related, and I think they all knew one another. I would like to get the article published, but there are about three of the ministers about whom I have no information. Please send me anything you know about him. fredwyncreech@gmail.com

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 5:39PM GMT
Travis, it sounds like you would have no trouble furnishing some information about Rev. Boggs. As stated previously I only need a few paragraphs about each of those men in the picture of whom I had no information. I particularly would like to know where he lived, worked, who he married, and who his children were. His parents, children-in-law, and grandchildren would be nice also. Or just any little thing you may have heard about him. I will probably ask The Kentucky Explorer to publish it when it is finished but will send copies to a couple of Baptist seminary libraries. My email is
fredwyncreech@gmail.com

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 8:08PM GMT
My grandfather was Irvin's younger brother Elmer, I would love to know what belonging's your mother has. Who is your mother btw? My mother is Elmer's oldest daughter Louise Boggs. And I would love to share information if you are interested. It has been hard to locate living members of the family that could contribute much new information on the previous generations. I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 8:13PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 8:59PM GMT
Fredwyn, Were you able to find out what you wanted to know from Travis? If not, I will give you any info that I can.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 10:52PM GMT
Fredwyn, I'm aware of two children by W.R. Boggs, Irvin (my grandfather) and his younger brother Elmer. Irvin had 5 children, oldest first is Hershel, then Hazel (my grandmother) and then Kenneth, Nancy Lou and Wayne. Hershel died in 2003 and Hazel and Kenneth past on within the last year. Nancy Lou and Wayne are still around and I'm sure they would be of more help to you than I could be. I can reach out to them and see if they would be open to sharing some information with you.

I'll send you an email so you have my information. I might have a couple files I can forward as well.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 11:06PM GMT
Annette, From what I recall there is at least one W.R. Boggs bible and a few photos that I believe my mother ended up with. There was so much to go through after my grandmother's passing and it wasn't well organized. My mother's name is Fredia and she is the only daughter of Irvin's eldest daughter Hazel.

I found another post of yours with a yahoo email address. Is that address still active? I can't say I'd be able to give you much information but I can probably put you in touch with Irvin's surviving children if you haven't already reached them.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 1:54PM GMT
Travis,
I had the great pleasure of speaking with your grandmother Hazel on the phone, she was a terrific lady. I was so sorry to hear of her passing. My mother Louise Boggs came to visit Hazel and Nancy Lou in September of last year. I had not seen her since I was a child, but talked to her a few times on the phone about genealogy stuff. Mom keeps in touch with Nancy Lou. I remember your gg grandmother Louanna, she lived down the street from my grandparents Elmer and Lucy in Dayton. We used to take a shortcut through her yard to get to the next street. Sometimes she had fresh baked cookies for us. She was a sweetheart, too. My email is adharve@yahoo.com. I am always happy to make new connections with family members. Are you interested in researching your Boggs line? Genealogy is fascinating and can be addictive, but I feel certain you will enjoy getting to know your ancestors. I learned so much about our family that I never knew.
Hazel said she had some pictures that she was going to scan to disk for me, but I think she had technical issues with her computer or something. I did get some pictures from her through my mother. Anything that you have of the family would be greatly appreciated. If you give me your email address I can send you a copy of the Old Regular Baptist ministers that Fredwyn is writing about. She is planning to have it published in the Kentucky Explorer magazine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic