Search for content in message boards

Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary

Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dunham, Donham, Singletary
Looking for documented paternal line descendents of Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary of Woodbridge, NJ, USA (b. 1640; d. bef. 1724). Trying to identify Y-DNA marker mutations for descendents of his sons Jonathan, David, Nathaniel, and Benjamin. Marker mutations help define the branches of the family tree.

Some folks know with Y-DNA evidence that they come from the Dunham alias Singletary line. But exactly which line of descent? It takes samples from many paternal lines of descent to define the branches of a family tree.

You can help answer the question: "Who's line is it? "

Join the Singletary Surname Y-DNA Project (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/singletary/default.aspx) to define the several branches of Singletarys and Dunhams of the family in America. Help others with matching Y-DNA (but new to genealogy) discover their line of descent.

Current FTDNA members need no further testing or expense! Just
• log into your FTDNA account (https://my.familytreedna.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f);
• select Join Projects; then
• select the Singletary project.

Thank you for your help,
Doug Wilson
Singletary Surname Project Administrator

Re: Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 11:11PM GMT
Doug

Are you aware that the Dunham/Singletary Family Connections Association has been running DNA testing for years?

Here is there website.

http://www.dunham-singletary.org/mw/index.php/Main_Page

Lisa

Re: Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Dunham, Donham, Singletary, Booth
Yes, I am aware of the Dunham DNA project. I have been in contact with them for some time now. Some members of that project are also in the Singletary project. Thank you for mentioning it so I can clarify the difference.

The Dunham Surname Y-DNA Project administered by the Dunham/Singletary Assoc. has done a wonderful job of distinguishing the Deacon John Dunham line from the Jonathan Dunham alias Singletary line. Their haplotype I also sets those lines apart from other Dunhams of Haplaotype R and G, if memory serves.

There was much confusion as a result of Jonathan's name change and the paucity of records to document it. Those records have come to light thanks to the members of the Dunham/Singletary Family Connection and others researching the Dunham and Singletary families.

The Singletary Surname Y-DNA Project I set up a few years ago focuses on only the Singletary line, including Dunham alias Singletary. This project's goals include defining the sub-branches so folks that are connected by DNA evidence but no record of descent can discover how they are connected to the family. This includes descendents of Dennis Donham (presumed offspring of Dunham alias Singletary) and John Alston (could be connected by Dunham or Singletary).

The Singletary Surname Y-DNA Project also invites Singletary's of known English origin and Booth's of known descent from the Booth family of Dunham-Massey to participate. This could resolve the mystery of Richard Singletary's immigration story and discover if Singletary is the correct surname of origin.

I hope this clarifies the difference between the projects. If you or anyone reading this post is a paternal line descendent of the alias Singletary line or knows one, I encourage that male descendent to join the Singletary project.

If you are already a member of the Dunham project, simply
• log into your FTDNA account (https://my.familytreedna.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f);
• select Join Projects; then
• select the Singletary project.

Help solve the mystery and discover "who's line is it, anyway?"

Thank you for your interest,
Doug
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions