McGuire from Ireland abt. 1850 to Pa.

McGuire from Ireland abt. 1850 to Pa.

arletta wilson (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2005 5:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Britt, McGuire, Conner, Wilson
Still hoping to find info on Bernard/Bryan McGuire
from Slego Ireland. Buried in Ks.
Married Mary Britt, issue, daughters only....

New e-mail address. Awilson10@cox.net

Re: McGuire from Ireland abt. 1850 to Pa.

Charlene (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2005 5:54PM GMT
I really wish I could help you - but I have little information about McGuire. I have been trying to find out anything at all about my grandfather James Kenneth Calder McGuire born in Mass. abt. 1877. My grandfather and grandmother split in 1911 - so my father didn't know anything about him. According to the 1910 census McGuire was in Los Angeles with the family - after that - no one knows. I don't even know if he had brothers or sisters - who knows Bernard and James could be related.

Posted: 1 Nov 2009 6:43PM GMT
This will probably not get to you since the post is old. My grandfather's brother was names James Kenneth Calder McGuire. He was born in West Lothian, Scotland in 1859. My grandfather was born in 1871 in Mass after they emigrated. The parents were Daniel McGuire and Catherine Calder.

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 3:17PM GMT
Hi, I am so glad to hear from you. I didn't think I would ever learn anything about James Kenneth Calder McGuire. I know little about him except he was my dad's father and my grandmother left him when my dad was about 4 years old. My father tried to locate him when we were kids but had no luck. Can you tell me what you know. I always thought that he was born in Mass. cause that's what my dad's birth certificate said - I am interested in anything you can tell me. And thank you so much for contacting me. I haven't been on Ancestry for a while - but they sent me your email and I renewed my subscription so I could contact you. Hoping to hear from you soon - and thank you again.
Charlene

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 4:36PM GMT
Charlene:
I know very little about Kenneth, other than he was my grandfather, Colin McGuire's brother. Colin died a year after I was born so I did not know him either. However, I can give you the info I have. Their parents were Daniel McGuire and Catherine Calder, married in Edinburgh in 1856. Daniel's father was also Daniel and he married Agnes Shillinglaw in Peebles. James Calder from Inverness married Agnes's sister, Janet, so Daniel and Catherine were second cousins.
The scottish sites have all of this info in their censes.
Daniel immigrated and they show up in Boston in the 1870 census. Calder was in all of the children's names. I traced the original Daniel to his birth in 1797 in Peebles, but there is no trace of him or his parents prior to that date.
II feel that the McGuire's probably came from Ireland and that could explain the lack of records. There was a lot of immigration from Ireland to Scotland for work. Both Daniels were stonemasons. Peebles was also full of Irish immigrants.
However, the Shillinglaw line is quite interesting. I have traced it back to the Stewart line in Renfrew, the royal Stewart clan home.
My grandfather moved to D.C. and then to Maryland around the turn of the century. There were 5 children-Alice, John, James{Pat}, Charles{Franny} and Joseph. The are all gone. My father was Pat and he would have been your father's first cousin. You can reply to me regular e-mail. It will be easier
Terry McGuire
ta_mcguire@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions