Search for content in message boards

How long does it take to download a GED from an online tree?

How long does it take to download a GED from an online tree?

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 10:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I started a download (for a friend) about 6 hours ago and it is still only 9% downloaded. Sounds like it could take days. Is this normal, or is there some problem?

Re: How long does it take to download a GED from an online tree?

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 11:32PM GMT
It depends on the size and your connection speed.

My tree is about 11K people, and the last time (a few weeks ago) it took less than an hour. I'm on a high-speed broadband connection.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 7:05AM GMT
Depends if you mean the entire process or specifically just the download.

The first part of the process is to export (clicking the export button) to a GEDCOM - the export(ing) process has had its share of problems over the years particularly with large trees - as the explanatory note says it can take a long time to export the tree and there have been a number of reports of "hung" exports never completing eventually requiring the user to contact support.

The second part of the process is the actual download to your pc (the export button changes to download) - pretty much dependent on your internet connection speed. Given that tree export doesn't include any media the actual download normally shouldn't take all that long even for relatively large trees.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 1:22PM GMT
By about 8 PM last night it was 56% downloaded. I let it run overnight, and this morning it was ready to actually download to my hard drive, which didn't take very long. I have DSL, but most things don't take as long as this did.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 6:44PM GMT
What you were waiting on was the processing time, not the download time, so internet connection speed has nothing to do with it.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 9:16PM GMT
Yes, I do know that, I just used the wrong word for it. It took a very very long time to process, not very long to download after it processed. And on a related note, once I modified the tree as requested, I couldn't export a GED from FTM. It just kept saying there was some sort of error.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 8:27AM GMT
"I just used the wrong word for it. It took a very very long time to process, not very long to download after it processed"

As I suspected.

"And on a related note, once I modified the tree as requested, I couldn't export a GED from FTM. It just kept saying there was some sort of error."

Do you really mean FTM, Family Tree Maker the PC program, or do you mean you made changes to the online tree (Ancestry Member Tree or AMT) and then couldn't export a GED from the modified online tree?

I suspect you meant the later and if that's the case try making another change to the online tree and try the export again. If it still fails note the error message and contact Ancestry support.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic