Search for content in message boards

Moving a 'sister' to a 'mother' position

Moving a 'sister' to a 'mother' position

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 4:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2013 3:16PM GMT
After being on the telephone with my aunt I have just found out that my great grandmother was illegitimate! This was a huge family secret and was never spoken about until my great aunt, the last of her children died. Now I find out that the woman I have always thought was my great grandmother's sister was actually my great great grandmother! How do I move everything I have on her from being a sister to being a mother within Ancestry's software without losing all the work on that I have done?

Re: Moving a 'sister' to a 'mother' position

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 5:46PM GMT
Open the Profile of the person with the wrong mother.
Select "edit this person", goto the "Relationships" Tab.

Add an alternate Mother, select the sister from the List. (do not add a new person).
Now you can remove the wrong mother.

Verify the relationships are the way intended, and add documentation/notes as to the mother child relationship.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 2:22AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I succeeded in doing this, but unfortunately, when deleting the 'sister' it somehow deleted both. Well, guess I'll have to spend the next couple days finding all that information again. I doubt that I'll ever find out who the father was.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2013 4:23AM GMT
On something like this, you should not "delete" anyone - you just want to click "remove" on the relationship edit page, to the right of the person whose relationship you are changing. This removes only the relationship while leaving the person in the tree. Do this for each parental or spousal relationship you need to change.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 4:27AM GMT
Yup! I found that one out. Hey, at least it's making me go through all my hard copies of this and finding them on the web again. Many questions forming for the next time I talk with my aunt. Thank you everyone for your help. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions