Search for content in message boards

Jackson Martin Collier died 1822 in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Jackson Martin Collier died 1822 in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Posted: 13 May 2007 9:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am doing research on my grandfather, my father's father. My grandfather's name was Daniel Harrison Bowen of Strawn, Texas. He is descended from Jackson Martin Collier who was bon in 1775 in Augusta County, Virginia and died in 1822 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. On February 16, 1802 in Logan County, Kentucky he married Mary Bell Anderson. She was born January 20, 1784 in Henry County, Virginia and died August 30, 1861 in Montgomery County, Arkansas.
In 1812 Jackson and Mary Collier moved to Caddo Creek in Montgomery County, Arkansas and later to Colliers Creek in Montgomery County. He was a miller.
I would like to know where Jackson Collier and Mary Collier are buried and also I would be glad to receive any additional information about them. My grandfather is descended from Lydia Collier, a daughter of Jackson and Mary Collier. I do not know when and where Lydia Collier was born, but she married John Wells, son of Christopher and Ann (Oxworth) Wells, in Montgomery County, Arkansas. In 1839 John and Lydia Wells moved to Montgomery County (now Walker County), Republic of Texas. He died there around 1841 and she died later. I would also be very glad to receive information about John and Lydia Wells.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dane Bowen

Re: Jackson Martin Collier died 1822 in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Posted: 11 Dec 2007 9:41PM GMT
jackson and mary belle are my gggg-grandparents. they are possibly buried in liberty cem. at norman ark. or black springs...if they were not buried on home place. i have some stories on paper and if you can send me your address, i will make copies for you. they are really interesting and some are funny. i live in vanburen ark and i am in my late 50's. your kin, ozella cross

Posted: 16 Dec 2007 7:10PM GMT
Dear Ozella Cross:

Hi! Jackson Martin Collier and Mary Collier are also my great-great-great-great grandparents. I would love to exchange information with you. On a driving trip last summer from Virginia to Texas, I visited the courthouse and library in Mt. Ida, Arkansas without learning anything. I did visit Collier Sptings, which heads up Collier Creek, southeast of Mt. Ida.
I descend from Lydia Collier, who married John Wells around 1815 in Arkansas Territory. In 1839 the Wells family went to Texas. In Texas at the Old Bethel Cemetery in Grimes County, Texas, I found the gravestone of thier son, Harrison Wells, named for Lydia's brother Harrison Collier.
My address is:

Dane Bowen
6330 Hillcrest Place
Alexandria, Virginia 223l2

E-mail: danebowen@aol.com

Posted: 5 May 2012 12:42AM GMT
Surnames: Wells, Collier, Kern, Phillips, Boutwell, Cutrer
Hi, I too descend from the Collier and Wells families.
I am planning a trip to Ark. next month. I am in hopes to see the old Collier homestead and Collier Creek.
I too would love to hear of the history you have and the funny stories.
Many thanks!
Joy Boutwell McNally

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 4:23PM GMT
just recently found out I descend from jackson martin and mary bell anderson. have mary'line, but interested in martin's parentage. can you share any info with me?

thanks carol

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Collier, Wells, Boutwell, Parker, Anderson
Hi.
I too descend from Martin and his wife through their daughter Lydia Collier Wells.
I recently went to Arkansas (Collier's Creek, Caddo area, Buttermilk Springs) and found the house that Martin's son built around 1848, based on the deed of the new owner. I also asked him about a cemetery, where Martin Collier and his wife were buried. I was told where it was and I found it, on private property, and the owner let me take pics of the small graveyard that is enclosed with square rocks that holds about 4-6 graves. Only Andrew Jackson Collier has a real headstone, but there are other graves there marked with big rocks.
I would interested in your stories and such if you would be kind enough to share.
Once I get the pictures downloaded, I will post the pics I took of the small graveyard. You can email me at joym43@yahoo.com if you choose to share info.
Many thanks,
Joy Boutwell McNally
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions