Search for content in message boards

1885-1895 Elementary Schools

1885-1895 Elementary Schools

Teale (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2002 4:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
What elementary schools were in operation for the Bay City, Bay County, MI area in the 1885-1895 time frame? If the school no longer exists, what is the best guess as to which current school district would be holding student records?

I have no idea if my gr. grandfather even went to school, so this is a shot in the dark effort here.

Thanks for your help.

Teale Dougherty Kocher
Tkocher@Lpsd.k12.co.us

Re: 1885-1895 Elementary Schools

Posted: 26 Jul 2002 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: KOZUCH (KORZUCH), HABOWSKI (CHABOWSKA, SHABOWSKA), GLINIECKI, KUSMIERZ, LEN, MULARZ, RYTLEWSKI
I don't know if this will be of help, but for the time frame you reference, it is likely that if your grandfather was Catholic which was the predominate religion in Bay County at that time, he may have attended school and church at St. Joseph, St. Mary, St. James or St. John. These were the early Catholic church movements in Bay County.

The following websites might be of help in finding further information:

Early Catholic church history:
http://bay-journal/bay/1he/religion/church-bc-stjoseph.html

Listing of present Catholic churches:
http://www.baycityarea.com/default_01_churches-catholic.htm

If your grandfather was a Catholic, the older church communities should have a record of membership with them.

Teale (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2002 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Dougherty, Mills
Thanks Marvin,

I don't know if my family was Catholic. It's possible that they were from Ohio and moved into the Bay City area because there was work in the saw mill industry.

Since I can't rule out anything at this point, the Catholic schools/churches are worth checking out.

Thanks so much for the info.

Teale
tkocher@Lpsd.k12.co.us

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 8:46AM GMT
Surnames: Lavigne
Thankyou for this info will be checking it out yes he was Catholic

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 2:14AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 8:46AM GMT
Thankyou Marvin my family was Catholic.I have been looking for the church connections. In fact Ezra Lavigne married Roseanna (Thibodeau or Lamontagne) she was about to take her final vows as a nun when her father took her from the convent and "sold" her to a logger by the name of Baker. They were in St.Johnsbury VT area,probably having come from Quebec.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions