Search for content in message boards

Secrest's in Owen County

Secrest's in Owen County

Posted: 10 Nov 2003 1:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Feb 2004 2:04PM GMT
Surnames: Secrest, McBrides, Citty, Messel,Haag, Helms
I have recently acquired a book " The cemeteries of Owen County ". There are many Secrest's in it. Didn't find Andrew Jackson but there is an old entry for a Beeson Secrest. Will do some limited lookup's to help people out but don't send a two page letter...LOL

Re: Secrest's in Owen County

Posted: 24 Dec 2004 10:44PM GMT
Beeson Secrest was the brother of my gr.gr.gr.gr.grandfather. Where is he buried and what is his death date?

Posted: 2 Jul 2005 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: SECREST, McHENRY, THOMPSON
Randy,

I think this will help you. If you can fill in some of my blanks, I'd appreciate it.

Family of Beeson Secrest

1 Beeson SECREST b: November 13, 1799 in Fleming County, Kentucky d: April 30, 1860 in probably Owen County, Indiana Burial: McHenry/Secrest Cemetery, Section 2, Washington Township, Owen County, Indiana
*1st Wife of Beeson SECREST:
.. +Martha (Patsy) MCHENRY b: April 04, 1805 in Garrard County, Kentucky m: March 10, 1822 in Owen County, Indiana d: February 14, 1842 in Owen County, Indiana Burial: McHenry/Secrest Cemetery, Section 2, Washington Township, Owen County, Indiana
. 2 William M. SECREST b: March 27, 1823 d: April 21, 1842 Burial: McHenry/Secrest Cemetery, Section 2, Washington Township, Owen County, Indiana
. 2 Infant SECREST b: Bet. 1841 - 1842 d: February 10, 1842 Burial: McHenry/Secrest Cemetery, Section 2, Washington Township, Owen County, Indiana
*2nd Wife of Beeson SECREST:
.. +Mary D. THOMPSON m: September 12, 1846 in Owen County, Indiana

I have a couple of generations back from Beeson too.

Randy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2005 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Secrest
Ray, Thanks for the information on Beeson Secrest. I have in my records that Beeson's parents were William Secrest and Mary Beeson Secrest. Besson's brother, Joseph Cross Secrest, is my direct ancestor. I have a copy of Joseph's last will and testament. Joseph and his wife, Sarah Mershon, had at least 15 children. All were born in Fleming Co., KY. If you need any of this information, let me know.
Randy

Posted: 5 Jul 2005 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: SECREST, INGRAHM, MERSHON, STEVENS
Randy,

My wife's uncle is also descended from Joseph Cross SECREST through his son, William Bogges SECREST. However, my wife's cousin, who is the genealogist in the family, lists Ann C. INGRAHM as Joseph's wife. I believe I remember him talking about contradictory information in the line. You mentioned that you have a copy of Joseph's Will. Does it list Sarah MERSHON as the wife?

Another coincidence? My 3rd great-grandfather's brother, William SWEET, married Elizabeth MERSHON. All their children were born in Fleming County, Kentucky. Elizabeth's parents were Nathaniel SWEET and Mary STEVENS. Might Elizabeth and Sarah be sisters?

Randy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2005 3:08AM GMT
Joseph was married twice. He first married Sarah Mershon on Feb. 16, 1804. They had 15 children. Sarah died on October 24, 1830. Joseph then married Ann Moore (who was previously married to John W. Ingraham). Ann had two children by John Ingraham: Catherine "Kitty" Ingraham and Joseph Ingraham. She then had two children by Joseph Secrest: Emily and Amanda Secrest. Both wives are mentioned in the will.
Catherine "Kitty" Ingraham ended up marrying Joseph's son, William Boggess Secrest (who is also my gr.gr.gr.grandfather). They are buried in East Fork Cemetery in Lewis Co., KY.
Elizabeth Mershon was Sarah's sister. Their parents were Nathaniel Mershon and Martha Stevens.
I have extensive information on the Mershon family dating back to the mid 1600s.

Randy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2005 3:20AM GMT
Send me your email address and I will send you a copy of Joseph's will.

LaVonne R. Hanlon (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2005 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Secrest Sechrist Siegrist Cook Shirey Nichelson Suchocki Hanlon
Hi Guys!

I have been researching the Siegrist, Secrest, Sechrist Family since July 1977 (28 years) and I can answer some of your questions.

Beeson is the 9th child of William and Mary (Beeson) Secrest. Do you have his siblings?

Joseph Cross Secrest married 1) Sally/Sarah Ann Merson, dau of Nathaniel Mershon and Martha Stevens. Sally was born Oct 1786 in Hunterdon Co, NJ; died 24 Oct 1830 in Fleming Co, KY. 2) Ann G. (Moore) Ingraham, widow of John W. Ingraham, who had two children: Joseph who married Ellender Mershon in 1828 and moved to Iowa and Catherine who married Willian Bogges Secrest before 1831. (Ann married the father of her son-in-law) so any descendant of William Boggess Secrest traces their ancestry through both of Joseph Cross Secrest's wives.

I also have a copy of Joseph's will and can tell you that the Emily Faris and Amanda Lewis, who are mentioned in the will, are the children of Joseph and his second wife, Ann. I also have Joseph's obituary which states he and his first wife had six sons and five daughters--actually they had 14 children: 1) William Bogges Secrest (who married Ann's dau)
2) Lou Ann Secrest 3) Melinda Secrest 4) Lydia Secrest 5) Robert M. Secrest 6) Mary Beeson Secrest 7) Charlotte Secrest 8) Joseph Anderson Secrest 9) Sarah Jane Secrest 10) Elizabeth Secrest 11) Nancy Secrest 12) John D. Secrest 13) James Delana Secrest, M.D. 14) Francis Marion Secrest.
Adding the two daughters by 2nd wife: Emily Secrest and Amanda Eleanor Secrest, he had a total of 16 children. Some of his older children died young so they may not have been included in his obituary.

I also want to clarify something else which has created confusion in the past. Joseph's obit states he was born in Virginia on 8 April 1780 which is true, BUT in June 1780, the states of PA and VA negotiated their boundaries and that portion where he was born (Augusta Co, VA) became Westmoreland Co, PA. In 1783 PA made some changes and that portion of Westmoreland Co, became Fayette County. I was born there and I have been to the original farm of Valentine and Susanna Secrest in Lower Tyrone/Perry Twp. (it's on the border) and I have a copy of Valentine's Oath of Allegience which he took on 25 Sept 1772 in Baltimore, MD. (He came to Baltimore from Basel, Switzerland in April 1765.) He remained in MD (Washington Co) until 1778 when he went north into Cumberland Co. PA and in 1779 he claimed land in what is now Fayette County, PA. (see my website for more info.)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~faywest/index.htm
Scroll down to Sechrist.

William Boggess Secrest and Catherine 'Kitty" Ingraham were the parents of at least 22 childlren--some say 23.

I am a descendant of David Sechrist (younger brother of William and uncle of Joseph Cross Secrest and Beeson Secrest.) For some reason (probably Census takers doing) the older sons of Valentine and Susanna became Secrest while the younger sons were Sechrist. The original name when they came from Switzerland was Siegrist.

Posted: 6 Jul 2005 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Secrest
Do you have any info on John D Secrest and wife Jennett of Williamson Co., TN John D Secrest d aft 1847 {will Dec 1847 Williamson Co., TN} He may have a brother whom was in Rev. War by the name of Andrew Secrest
Children were; Tyree/Tyron G Secrest; Issac Secrest; Martha Secrest; Barbara Secrest; Matalida Secrest; Jane Secrest; Tabitha Secrest.

pamela, Smyrna, TN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic