Search for content in message boards

Sol Young - NY Photographer

Sol Young - NY Photographer

Posted: 21 Sep 2002 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2003 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Campion, Powers
I have a portrait photograph of my grandfather, taken in New York in 1918. Printed on the matting is "Sol Young Studio." Does anyone know anything about this studio? Are they still in existence, or were their files acquired by another photographer?

Any guidance or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Sol Young - NY Photographer

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: Rosselli, Russell
I, too, have a "Sol. Young Studios" matted photograph, same vintage of my aunt's father (Surname: Rosselli). The back has a stamp that lists 5 NY addresses (I'm sure he used one of these), 1 in the Bronx, 3 in Brooklyn, 1 in Jersey City, 2 in Neward and 1 in Phila., PA -- also, that "Duplicates can be had at any time". Not much help, but may be something?

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2003 11:56PM GMT
I, too, have one, marked "Sol. Young, New York" but family was living in New Jersey. So I was interested to note that there was a studio also in Newark, NJ. Mine is of my grandmother as a young woman. While the photo was not dated, my grandmother was born in 1874, and appears to be about 20+ years old. Style of dress seems to date the photo sometime during the 1890's, and possibly was a wedding photo.

Sara (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2003 3:01AM GMT
I've been trying to locate others who have a photo of a child on a pony to include in a children's book on the pony photographers of that time period. Mine was taken in 1934 in Newark, NJ by a Sol Young photographer. Other cities listed on the cover were New York, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Jersey City, Trenton, Philadelphia, Bridgeport, and New Haven. I believe that sending photograhers out in the street to photograph children with "studio quality" pictures was an effort to keep a once successful business afloat during very hard economic times.

David Duff (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2003 6:20PM GMT
I have two photographs taken at Sol Young studio N.Y.
One photograph is of a young girl holding up a teddy bear
the other one is of a young girl or boy poseing with their hand on hip.
My grand aunt was an artist and photographer and it is believed that she worked at this studio around 1905 to 1915.
If you would like me to scan these photos and forward, I would be more than happy to.

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 3:34AM GMT
I came across this thread regarding portraits by Sol. Young Studio while researching an article that I am writing about this photographer for my blog, Photo-Sleuth:
http://photo-sleuth.blogspot.com/

I realise that this thread is rather old, but I wonder if any of the above posters would please consider allowing me to use scanned images of their photographs by this studio to illustrate my article? I would include a full acknowledgement in the usual manner. I'd appreciate scans of both front and reverse, including the full extentof the card mount, if possible. If you are able to provide a name, dates of birth and death of the subject, as well as a likely date for the photograph, that would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to respond directly to my message by email to gluepot@gmail.com.

Many thanks for your time. Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 9:40AM GMT
Surnames: Gruschow, Kastendieck, Hayden, Handel and MacDonald
I have a Sol. Young photo taken abt. 1915 of my great-grandfather Charles Gruschow and his two grandchildren, Dorothy & Robert A. Gruschow, Jr. It was probably taken at the 23 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn, NY studio. Lists studios on back in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 7:28PM GMT
Thanks Ken, Replied privately by email, but I would very much appreciate scans of the photograph for eventual inclusion in a second article on Photo-Sleuth.
Regards, Brett

Posted: 8 Apr 2010 5:23PM GMT
I recently came across a photo of my great-great grandmother. Just below the picture on the thick stock paperframe it reads: "Sol Young Studios". Embossed on the back of the frame is the company insignia and the words, Sol Young Studios with a list of locations.

The photo has a date of December 25, 1921. I am no sure where the picture was taken. At the time, my family was living in Jersey City and New York.

Do you know what happened to all of the negatives that must have been amassed over the years. Where they archived and given to a university or research library.

Byron Scott

Posted: 8 Apr 2010 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: Gruschow, Kastendieck, Hayden
I wish I knew what happened to the negatives. You could ask Brett Payne, since he is researching the photographer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions