Search for content in message boards

Halbert's Publishing in Bath, Ohio

Halbert's Publishing in Bath, Ohio

Linda Hood Austin (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2003 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Austin, Sutherlin, Hosey, Merrell, Honeycutt, Robinson, Nolen, Hood, Hannah, Donaldson
In 1999, I received info about ordering an "Austin Family Book" from Heirloom Book care of Halbert's 3687 Ira Rd. PO Box 5012 in Bath Ohio 44210. I want to contact this Publisher and "calling information" has been futile. The above address is not valid. Does anyone know them? I need to order a "Wint" Family and "Austin" book. Their Wint book is fairly resent, this is why I can't believe they are out of business.
Help please :) Linda Hood Austin

Re: Halbert's Publishing in Bath, Ohio

Robert Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2003 1:32AM GMT
Believe this company is out of business. The Better Business Bureau warned its materials are of little value. Genealogical societies nationwide warned their members.Check your library to seee if someone donated one of their publications. Examine it for yourself!

Linda Hood Austin (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2003 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Austin, Sutherland, Merrell, Hosey, Nolen, Honeycutt, Robinson, Thornton, Hood, Hannah
Dear Mr. Hunter, Thanks for the info. And yes, you are right about content since I located an old publication packed away that I was hunting. Funny how I looked all through a more recent book on the "Wint" family to find some kind of address, and there wasn't anything. I won't go into all the other calling I have done trying to locate them. The one very interesting thing that I wanted was; they go into detail about which customs and folkways, music, and foods, came from which immigrants, like the Dutch gave us Santa Claus, colored Easter eggs, backgammon, dice, bowling, waffles and the doughnut. The Irish brought to America their Irish linen and delicate needlework, etc. From Germany we get the custom of wedding rings, Christmas trees, glee clubs, kindergarten, frankfurters with sauerkraut, and of course pretzels and beer!! I I just wanted to add lots of this kind information to my genealogy. Thank you, Linda Hood Austin

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 11:38PM GMT
I received my Vincents in America in 1997, was pleased with the book. An accompanying letter from the publisher was signed by a Sharon Taylor, if this helps anyone in his or her search for anymore information. Unfortunately, I don't think I kept the "enclosed insert" which came with the letter. N.A. Vincent

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 2:13PM GMT
OH Halbert's...... LOL they just keep popping up. They are a SCAM. Look them up on the internet and you can find all kinds of complaints about them. Just type in Halberts Bath Ohio........ Here's just one:

A few years ago I wrote a number of articles about the infamous Halberts of Bath, Ohio. This company would send an advertisement for a book that claimed to be a "history of your family name." After paying about $40, the hapless purchaser received a cheaply made paperback containing a bit of generic "how to get start tracing your family tree information" accompanied by listings from telephone books. Sadly, similar information was available online at no cost.

In August 1998 I even visited the address in Bath, Ohio that Halberts used, and I wrote about my trip in that week’s edition of this newsletter. I found no company named Halberts at that address. In fact, the address was simply a mail drop. All orders sent to that address in Bath, Ohio were actually forwarded to the parent company in nearby Akron. About a year after my on-site visit, Halberts folded. It gave layoff notices to all of its employees, sold the office furniture, and ceased operations. The company blamed "competition from the Internet" for its business failure. In my opinion, the competition was twofold: (1) the same information was available online at no charge, and (2) the Internet provides a great place for tracking such scams. Those who received the advertisements could easily go online to check Halberts’ reputation. All you had to do was to go to any search engine and enter the word "Halberts" to learn of the experiences of others. In fact, you can still do that today.

Halbert's has been in court several times to answer charges lodged by the U.S. Postal Service. The court documents always list Halbert's as a subsidiary of the Numa Corporation of 1566 Akron Peninsula Rd, Akron, OH 44313-5154. Halbert's and Numa were in court in 1988 as defendants in an action claiming false advertising. I don't have the details of the 1988 action, but a 1995 complaint referenced an order in 1988 requiring Numa/Halbert's to stop claiming that relatives of the addressee signed the advertising letters. (Source: Dick Eastman Online - "Halberts (Again))

So ALWAYS beware..... and check out a company before purchasing anything like this. There is no TRUE coats of arms or Family Crests either. Those are complicated and have to do with a certain FAMILY.... not a family NAME. As the saying goes BUYER BEWARE!

Janean...... Akron, Ohio

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 1:51AM GMT
Their physical address is 3687 Ira Rd, Bath, OH 44210

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 1:55AM GMT
Never bother with a Halbert book. Total useless junk. You get more information from a phone book.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 2:51AM GMT
There is NO physical address or rather there is no physical business at that location. They are a scam. Read my previous post. I live about 10 min from Bath. OH there is a building there but its empty. If you don't believe my post google Halbert's yourself.

Janean

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 3:17AM GMT
Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: Millen
My brother received two Bulk Rate mailings from a 'publishing company' first one was from John C Millen, HISTORIC BOOK OFFER, c/o 611 Pennsylvania Ave S.E. # 1015, Washigton D.C. 20003 tel (202) 588-8942 with a please return the reservation form NLT 3 Aug 1994 with a $5.00 deposit & a satisfaction guarentee , special pre -publication rate of $39.50 for "The Millens Since the Civil War" and then another from also From John C Millen (but the letter was signed Miller!)and though it did not ask for a deposit it also did not give the cost of the book ""The Millen's in America: from 1790 to 1997" address for sending the reservation form was CENSUS Book Offer, c/o Halbert's, 3687 IRA Rd, PO Box 5012, Bath, Oh 44210-9953. I googled the titles of the books -- nothing so I googled Halibert's Publishing company & the listing that first caught my eye was ancestry.com which I clicked on and up comes this msg board! My brother was certain it was a BIG SCAM! I would have liked to have the info they claimed was in the books even if it is available on-line, just to use as a reference, just think, if the books were real, they could have sold more of the books! I just wonder if any of the recipients of the mailings had their SURNAME as the surname the sendereven on the mailing envelope.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic