Search for content in message boards

Vicey Fork

Vicey Fork

Posted: 24 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2006 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Justice, McFadden, York, Canterbury
I am searching for a place near Pikeville, Pike County, Ky called Vicey (may be misspelled) Fork. My gg-grandfather Joab Justice and my ggrandfather Hiram Justice are from that area. My Dad said that Hiram always talked about the place being where most of our family was from. Can anyone tell me where it is located. Any information on Joab Justice b: 1814 Floyd County, KY m: Elizabeth "Betty" Ferrell or their children would be greatly appreciated. I have some information on this family line that moved to Mingo County, WV if I can help any one else researching this family.
Posted: 25 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:36PM GMT
The area you are looking for is a fork of the Levisa River
which runs north and south near the eastern border of Pike County. The Justices and many of there neighbors were in the lumber business in that area before moving across the Tug River to that part of Logan Co., WV which eventually became Mingo Co., WV. Suggest, if possible, you get hold of a book "The Big Sandy Valley" by William Ely reprinted in 1987 which details the settling of the Justices and their neighbors in Pike County.

Re: Vicey Fork

Charles W. Slone (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Slone, Boggs, Murphy, Newsom
Jim is certainly right about this being the Levisa. This fork is of the Big Sandy River and splits with the Russel Fork at Millard, Ky. The Levisa fork has been inpounded around the area of your interest into the Fishtrap Lake. The Levisa runs all the way up into Grundy, Va.

I have found the family you mention in Viola Wrights book Pioneers on the Levisa. They are relatives of the James Slone family, the object of the book.

Joab Justice is the son of Simeon Justice -m 1809 - Mary Abshire.

Joab's siblings include:
Abshire, Artilda, Booker, Betty, Clayburn, Florinda, Harvey, Hiram, Melinda, Millie, Polly, Miriam, Rhonda, Simeon and William Allen. Woooow!

Simeon Justice's siblings include:
John, William, Mary, Elizabeth, George, Ezra, Peyton and Sarah.

Simeon's parents are William Justice - m- Margaret Johnson.

This family moved to Floyd County, later to be separated into Pike County from Pittsylvania Co, Va.

If you need more information I could copy the spouses of almost all these people out of the book for you. Please remember this is copyrighted material.

Thanks... Chuck in Augusta, Ga.
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:36PM GMT
Heritage Books, Inc 1540E Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie, MD
20716 (301) 390-7709. It is a facsimile reprint of the original 1887 version. JIM

"Big Sandy Valley"

Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Justice
Do you know where this book may be purchased?
Thanks

Justice family

judy vance (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
RE: Justice Family Tree from My Grandmother back is
Laura Justice b6-21-1894/logan co wv
father/Mitchell Justice b5-?-1825/Pike co Ky/his father Greenville Justice b1825 Pike co ky/his father Payton Justice b1790 Pitts co va/his father william Justice b1745 va/his father William Justice b 1732 va/his father John Justice b 1692 chas. city co va/his father Justonian justice b 1660 Charles city co va/his father William justice b1625 Wales England.

need info

Tami Slone Phillips (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: SLONE
I am looking for info on my grandpa and his parents..I know that they were a part of the SLONE family from Eastern Ky. (probably around FishTrap) I know my grandpas name is Thaniel Slone and he married Faris Layne in about 1931 If you have any info to share id like to hear from you ...thanks

RE:Need Info

Charles W. Slone (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Slone, Boggs, Murphy, Prince, Newsom
Tami,

You come from a very large and old family in Kentucky. They settled the land around the areas where the Levisa fork and Russel fork split the Big Sandy river. That is the river that starts at Ashland, Ky and goes through Levisa, Paintsville, Pikeville and splits at Millard, Ky. Your family settled the Levisa fork. Most of that area of the county is now under water where Fishtrap lake was formed. There is a Jonican Creek and a Slone Creek between Millard
and the dam.

What information I give comes from a book about these early settlers in Ky. You can purchase it. Contact Viola Wright for purchase information at: viola29@eastky.net

The real expert about the Sloane/Sloan/Sloan name can be found at this URL:

http://www.panama.phoenix.net/~fmitchel/coa.html

I see an Elster Slone on page 18 of Viola Wright and Hope blackburn's book, Pioneers on the Levisa. He was the
son of Nathaniel and Faris Layne Slone. He was from Fishtrap, Ky in Pike County. I learned from another researcher that Elster died in 1993.

Nathaniel is the son of William Slone and Rosie Jane Thacker.

William and Rosie's Children:

Polly Ann Slone m Berry Parker
Nathaniel m Faris Layne [D. of Alfred Layne & Slyvania Justice.]
William married a second time to Nancy Ann Adkins
Plenny Slone m Sophie Thacker Born 4/15/1908, Died 4/7/98

Buried Slone Cem. Kimper Ky.

Nathaniel Slone and Faris Layne's Children:

Hatler Slone
Alonzo Slone
Elster Slone
Gladys Slone
E.C. Slone
Lola Slone
John Slone
Thelma Slone m Harris
Bernstine Slone m Johnson

I hope this helps......

Chuck in Augusta, Ga.

Re: need info

penny slone (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2002 6:01PM GMT
my grandpa plenny was thaniel brother please write me back at pj_41539@yahoo.com
Posted: 7 Jul 2002 2:20AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:32AM GMT
I know your posting was a few years ago but my mother was a Justice and I would very much like to find out where I can find the book in which you are referring. Can you advise? THanks, janie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic