Search for content in message boards

Wilton Overton Allen

Wilton Overton Allen

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen
I am looking for any information on Wilton Overton Allen Jr.
He is my grandfather and I am having a very hard time finding any information out about him. He always told us that he was orphaned at a young age and I show him being in a catholic boys orphanage in California when he was around 8 years old. He was born in 1908 and died in 1996. I have never known if he had any siblings or what happened to his parents nor who his parents are. He did mention that his parents died in a war when he was young but we are not sure if this is accurate or not, he never talked much about any of this kind of stuff. If anyone has anything that might help I would greatly appreciate it. I have been trying for a very long time to find out about this side of my family. Thank you! kelea01@gmail.com

Kelea Allen-Fields

Re: Wilton Overton Allen

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 7:23PM GMT
I found several things on a Wilton Overton Allen b 7 apr 1908 in New Mexico. and died 27 aug 1996 is this your grandfather.

You might already have this,
Married to a Florence Pray and had a daughter named Marie Julia Allen in 1920 in Wood Texas.

in 12 aug 1978 married to a Clara Miller/Farrell in 1940 he was living in Spokane WA. with wife named Rersis F. and a duaghter named Helen B. Allen. age 9. Does any of this sound familiar to you. I could not find any birth or death records in NEw Mexico that would match.
Not much help I am afraid but did you perhaps try his military records.

Sue

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Allen/Honshell
Hi Sue, thank you for your response. Yes the Wilton Overton Allen born 1908 in New Mexico is my grandfather. I find his birthdate alternating a couple years in different records. I think this is because I am told from my father that he lied about his age to join the Navy early. He was kicked out of the Navy when they found out he wasn't old enough and later joined the Army. I am guessing he lied to join the Navy because he was in an orphanage and that must have been his way out? He lived in Spokane, Washington and was the County Commissioner for a long time there. The Clara Miller/Farrell that he married in 1978 was his second wife, his first wife was Persis Honshell, Persis was my Grandmother, she died early from heart disease. I haven't been able to find any birth record for my grandfather either. I only have speculation as to who his father would be but the Wilton Overton Allen that married Florence Pray seems to be the best bet for being his father, possibly from a previous marriage before Florence Pray.

If you have any additional information I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again =)

Kelea
kelea01@gmail.com

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: allen
I will look and see if I can find anything useful for you. I think His military record might hold more info even tho he lied about his age.

Sue

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:51PM GMT
Thank you so much Sue! Anything you find will be greatly appreciated =)

Kelea
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions