Search for content in message boards

Hancocks living with James B Spurlock-1910

Hancocks living with James B Spurlock-1910

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 1:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spurlock, Hancock, Dowdy
I have been doing some research for my husband's grandfather, Emmett Hancock, b 1902 in TX and great-grandfather, James Walter Hancock, b abt 1880 in TX or Ark. and found his grandfather living with an uncle, James B. Spurlock in the 1910 Census. Unfortunately, we do not know who James Walter's parents were, because they died when he was a baby. Lee and Emmett's mother had died and their step-mother treated them badly, so they went to live with their uncle. I am trying to determine if the Hancocks were related through the Spurlock or Dowdy line. I have seen that there are some Hancocks that married Spurlocks, and I was wondering if this might be the family link.

Do you know if James Byrd Spurlock is a decendant (maybe grandson) of Byrd Spurlock and Elizabeth Hancock, m. 05May1828 Wilson Co. TN?

I also do not know who Virgie Hancock is, because we were not aware that Lee and Emmett had a sister, so this may be their cousin.

Any information that you can share with me about James Byrd Spurlock's line and any link to the Hancocks would be greatly appreciated.

Following are the marriage record and 1910 Census:

James Byrd Spurlock married Margaret L Dowdy 07Aug1889 Erath Co. TX

1910 Census - Justice Precinct, Brown Co. TX
James B Spurlock, head of household, male, white, age 49, married 20 yrs, borned-Ark, Father born Missouri, Mother born Louisana
Margaret Spurlock, wife, female, white, age 36, married 20 years, born-Arkansas, Father born Tennessee, Mother born Arkansas
Samuel D Spurlock, Son, male, white, age 18, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, Mother born Arkansas
Audie Spurlock, daughter, female, white, age 11, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, Mother born Arkansas
William Spurlock, Son, male, white, age 9, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, Mother born Arkansas
Byrd B Spurlock, Son, male, white, age 3, single, born Arkansas, Father born Arkansas, Mother born Arkansas
Lee T Hancock, Nephew, Male, white, age 10, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, mother born Texas
Emmett Hancock, Nephew, Male, white, age 7, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, mother born Texas
Virgie Hancock, Niece, Female, white, age 4, single, born Texas, Father born Arkansas, mother born Texas

Re: Hancocks living with James B Spurlock-1910

Posted: 12 Feb 2008 6:05PM GMT
Never mind on this query. I think I have found the answer... It's the Dowdy/Dawdy family that James Walter Hancock was related to. I have found the uncle that James Walter Hancock lived with when he was 4 years old in 1880... he was living with J. S. Dawdy the father of Margaret L Dowdy wife of James B. Spurlock instead of other Spurlocks.

Posted: 21 Feb 2008 3:47PM GMT

Kathy -

I am still interested in finding the Mo-born father of James B. Spurlock.

In what county was J,S. Dowdy in 1880 ? Do you know his given name ? In 1920 Nancy "Dawdy, age 73, was living with James B.and Margaret.

James B. and Margaret were in Erath County in 1900, Brown County in 1910 and 1920.

- Ken

Byrd was a common namein many branches of Spurlock families.

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: Spurlock, Dawdy, Dowdy, Doudy, Hancock
In the 1880 census: Precinct 6 and 7, Erath, TX
J.S. Dawdy 40 (John in 1870 census)
Nancy J. Dawdy 33
Mray E. Dawdy 11
Susanah Dawdy 9
Louisa M Dawdy 7
William T. Dawdy 5
Sarah F. Dawdy 2
J.W. Hancock 4

Note: J.W. Hancock's son's Lee and Emmitt were living with Margaret L Dawdy and James B. Spurlock in the 1910 census.

1870 Census Saline Township, Hot Springs Co. AR
John Doudy - 30
Nancy Doudy - 23
Mary Doudy - 1
Elizabeth Page - 29 (Spinster)
Frances Page - 3

1870 Census Wills Township, Saline Co. AR,
Mary Dowdy - 58
William - 25
Frances K - 20 (unoccupied)
Wesley Biehuret(?) - 15
James Dowdy - 20 (may be a twin to Frances K.)

1860 Census Big Creek Township, Hot Springs Co.
John W. Doudy - 48
Mary - 48
Daniel J. - 24
Elizabeth E - 26
John T - 20
William A. - 15
Francis C. - 10
James K. - 10
Sarah J. Williams - 22
Sintha J. Williams - 5
Mary L. Williams - 3

I found marriage records for Frances C. Dawdy to John F Elmore on July 12 1868 in Saline Co. AR (book C-157) and a later marriage record for Mrs. Frances Elmore to Samuel N. Hancock on Oct. 13, 1872. (book C-219) I think this is J.W. Hancock's parents!

Also, in Saline Co. AR Loose Probate Files, I found Estate filings for John W. Dawdy in 1859 and Mary Dawdy in 1875.

Be sure and check for different spellings on the Spurlock name. As you can see the census taker spelled the Dawdy name Dowdy and Doudy... but this has to be the same family because all the first names are the same and the ages match up. I also found James Walter (J.W.) Hancock spelled Hawcock in the 1920 census... I like to never found that one.

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 11:10PM GMT
Hi Ken!
Don't know if you remember me - Mary Gallano who lived in Hawaii in the early 90s.

Anyway, I've run into another Spurlock from Erath Co TX. One of the descendants of a Bittick is connected to them.

J.W. Spurlock and Mary E. Dowdy md 07 Aug 1884 Erath Co TX.

This is John W. Spurlock who is buried in Roebuck Cemetery, Roosevelt Co, NM.
J.W. Spurlock
b. Aug 24, 1858
d. Dec 23, 1917

1900 they are in Erath Co, TX. 1910 in Roosevelt Co, NM. By 1920 Mary Dowdy Spurlock is md to Fred Gardner and in Portales, Roosevelt Co, NM. In 1930 at least 2 of their sons are still there.

My Bittick cousin descends from their son, Charles W. Spurlock b. 19 May 1909 NM d. 03 Nov 1998 CA. I've found 3 CA death certs that list the mother's maiden name as Dawdy but pretty sure it's the same Mary Dowdy above.

According to census 1900-10 - John claims to be born in AR, his father in MO and his mother in AR. No clues yet on his parents. But, since I also have MO Spurlock's - I thought this one might somehow connect to mine in the Ozarks area of MO.

I sent Pat an email asking if she could identify Charles W. b. 1909. Actually, he's not on the 1910 census so he may have been born 1910 not 1909.

Glad to share what I've found. Just let me know.

mary_bittick_gallano@earthlink.net

Mary

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 3:48AM GMT

I cannot be sure this is the right John W.

1879 Lawrence County, Ar, Redwood Twp, Ash Flat
Robert Spurlock born 1821 Ky. wife Serena E, born 1827.
He son of David and Susan (Hancock) from Floyd County, Ky.
Their John W. was age 12 in 1870.

Problem : He was listed as age 3 in 1860 and had a brother James who was 2. John was John W.T. that year.

I'll keep looking for a better match. Not surprising if he was confused about states of birth as this clan bounced back and forth between NE Ark and SE Mo.

- Ken

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 1:28AM GMT
This might be them.
1860; Census Place: Saline, Hot Spring, Arkansas; Roll M653_42; Page: 950; Image: 438; Family History Library Film: 803042
James Spurlock 30 TN /350
Mary Spurlock 19 AR
John W Spurlock 2 AR
James B Spurlock 1/12 AR

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 1:53AM GMT
Marriage Record
James Spurlock to Mary Marcus 28 Oct 1857 Hot Springs Co., AR

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 5:40AM GMT

1920 Brown County, Texas -
James B. Spurlock 59, no wife. Doyl S. 26, William 19, Byrd 13, Azalea 7, Mrs. Nancy Dowdy 73 , grandmother.

James born Ark of Mo father and Louisiana mother.

1930 Seminole County, Okla -
Emmett T. Hancock born 1903 Texas, wife Hattie, 4 children born 1925-1930 in Okla.

- Ken

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 6:05AM GMT

1920 Brown County, Texas -
James B. Spurlock 59, no wife. Doyl S. 26, William 19, Byrd 13, Azalea 7, Mrs. Nancy Dowdy 73 , grandmother.

James born Ark of Mo father and Louisiana mother.

1930 Seminole County, Okla -
Emmett T. Hancock born 1903 Texas, wife Hattie, 4 children born 1925-1930 in Okla.

- Ken

per page

Find a board about a specific topic