Search for content in message boards

Joel Arthur Haley (1882-1930) Wichita Falls, Texas

Joel Arthur Haley (1882-1930) Wichita Falls, Texas

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 10:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Haley, Rhymes
I'm hoping to hear from descendants of this family:

Joel Arthur Haley, Sr. was born March 18, 1882 and died January 19, 1930 in Wichita Falls, Wichita County, Texas. He married Cammie May Rhymes before 1906. She was born December (or January) 29, 1881 in Bandera County, Texas and died November 14, 1976.

Children of Joel Arthur Haley, Sr. and Cammie May Rhymes:

- Rama Lois Haley was born December 15, 1906 in Abilene, Taylor County, Texas and died November 1991.

- Rev. Joel Arthur Haley, Jr. was born April 13, 1910 and died August 7, 1995 in McLennan County, Texas.

- Gordon Rhymes Haley was born January 21, 1913 in Texas, USA and died October 5, 1987 in Dallas County, Texas.

I'm also trying to learn the circumstances of Joel Arthur Haley's death in 1930. According to family history, he was murdered in Wichita Falls on or about January 19, 1930. After searching numerous sources for more information, I've come up empty handed.

I'd appreciate hearing from descendants - as well as anyone having more information. I am related.

Thanks...

Re: Joel Arthur Haley (1882-1930) Wichita Falls, Texas

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 3:34PM GMT
I think I've ruled-out homicide as the cause of death for Joel A. Haley. I believe the source of this story had him confused with someone else. Still like to hear from family members anyway.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:59AM GMT
I am one of Gordon Rhymes Haley's grand-daughters, and I have heard the story that his father (Joel Arthur) was in fact killed, but before I try to reconstruct from memory the details of that story, I need to check in with my mom and grandmother to see what they recall hearing about this event.

I was SO excited to see some of the photos you've posted on the findagrave website. I started doing some ancestry research several years ago, then got off track. On a whim I started tooling around on the internet tonight and nearly fainted when I pulled up the photos of Cammie, by great-grandmother, whom I've only seen in one photo, and also the family photo showing my grandfather as a young boy. Thanks very much for sharing those. Would be interested to find out your connection to the family and how you obtained those cool pictures!

I'll be in touch soon.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: Woolley, Haley
Appreciate the response. We're cousins, as I descend from Cammie's sister, Effie R. Rhymes-Robinson. She was my G. Grandmother.

They (Cammie & Effie/Lois) were very close during their lifetime, and I've got a great deal of photos, memorabilia, etc. from my Great Grandma. Love to share it with you, too.

Still no more information about J.A. Haley Sr's death. I've started to believe he may have been confused with Lois' husband, Gordon Woolley, who was killed by a gunshot to the abdomen. He was shot on the 10th of November, 1934 but didn't die until the 26th. His death was ruled a homicide.

If you'll contact me through Find a Grave, we can exchange email addresses there if you like.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions