Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on the Neece Family around 1875

Looking for info on the Neece Family around 1875

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 1:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2002 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Neece
I am told that my ggrandmother's name was Lena Neece. I do not know her parents name. It is believed that she was born in NC and is Cherokee Indian. She was said to be a medicine woman and could do many magic potions to cure all kinds of things. Some of my relatives said they thought she was the medicine woman of a tribe. She married John Mann. She was born in 1895 and has at least two brothers Ballard Neece and John Neece. They were from the Dickenson County area in VA and also lived in Williamson, WV. Anyone with any info on the Neece's, or even the Mann's who would have been from that area also would be greatly appreciated. John Mann's parents were Elsie and David Mann and he had at least one brother, Henry and two sisters, Bessie Hollifield and Maggie Lewis (from the Dickenson County area). Thank you.
Peggy

Re: Looking for info on the Neece Family around 1875

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I am the granddaughter of Ballard Neece of Dickenson County, Virginia. He did have a brother by the name of John Neece and a sister by name of Lena. Ballard's birthday was said to be in the year 1900. He married Sloney Counts and had 18 children,9 of which died in youth. Today, Both Ballard and Sloney are deceased and 2 of his children recently died. I don't know where Lena was born nor do I know of her being an Indian medicine women. Although,I have heard family rumors of indian mixes. I do not remember ever meeting her. My memories are dim about actual fact but I believe that Ballard was the son of Elijah Neece and that he, John, and Lena had other brothers and sisters as well.I know nothing of the "Mann" familly in that area. Ironically, I married a man with the last name "Mann", though he is not from that area but comes from a line on the West Coast.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic