Search for content in message boards

NC/SC/GA/AL Hursts

NC/SC/GA/AL Hursts

Posted: 26 Jun 2007 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings All,

My gggrandfather was William Monroe Hurst (WMH) b. 1807/10/12 SC, who came with several other SC Hursts to Choctaw Co, AL in the 1830's. Family stories and family lore had said his father was named "Charles Hurst." Through research I became convinced it was the Charles/Benjamin/Joseph Hurst line out of Charleston/Goose Creek area (with the probability that the line went back to an older Benjamin Hurst whose first SC land record was from 1694).

After several years of research, I now have some new info for all to look into that changes all that. I had DNA testing done, and it seems I have been all wrong, and my SC/AL Hurst line is somehow connected to the John Hurst b. 1635 VA line. That means my SC Hurst line has a VA/NC link, even though it seems to have come through SC somehow. So --- it would seem that my line may not be through "Charles Hurst" of SC after all, and the claim by some other researchers that my line is through "Phillip Hurst" of Chesterfield CO, SC seems the stronger. I say that because the "Charles Hurst" line out of Charleston/Goose Creek area that my family lore had said we were connected to goes back several generations in SC to at least the very early 1700's, and I can find no link in that line to NC or VA. How could I be so wrong? It makes me feel like much of my research has been waisted and for nothing, and it disappointed me almost to the point of quiting. Family stories had me convinced of "Charles", and I had been so sure that my family stories were true, and then this!! I had been wrong all this time. And what's even worse, I have been passing on this wrong info to others. Very disappointing and embarassing. Please forgive my mistake.

But, I have managed to pick up and begin anew looking at the Phillip Hurst line as the possible father of my SC line, and discovered some things that may be of interest to others, and certainly should open up some discussion.

I found where some rersearchers have been saying this NC Phillip Hurst of Chesterfield SC is the son of William Hurst b. 1742 and Sarah Oliver of NC. (This William Hurst b. 1742 had a younger brother named "Phillip" who had died young without issue, so it seems natural this William might name a child after his deceased brother.) But, looking at William and Sarah, I discovered my Phillip might be too old to be a son, as they seem possibly married a couple of years after his birth, so that did not fit very well. Then, although I have not seen it myself, I have been told that this William may have had a will which does not mention a son named Phillip. That confused me even more, and I kept looking. But what convinced me the most that my Phillip was not through William and Sarah was my DNA seems to connect me closer to descendants of the NC William Hurst b. 1710 and Christina McKinnie line than to descendants of the NC William Hurst b. 1742 and Sarah Oliver line. (Both these lines come from the John Hurst b. 1635 VA line.) So, I began looking at William b. 1710 and Christina. Their sons seem to have all pretty much ended up in GA. I began looking in earlier NC for possible sons.

I found where a "William, James, Jacob and Phillip Hurst" were apparently listed together in the NC militia during the Rev War. This "Phillip" fits as the "Chesterfield" Phillip, and obviously the name "Phillip" interested me. That info seemed to connect these four Hurst boys together. Tax records from there from the early 1780's list "William, Major, Jesse and Jacob Hurst" together, and another tax record lists "James and Isaac Hurst" together. All these males were from the same area before they all disappear from NC. It seemed to me that all these Hurst boys could be linked together as possible sons to William and Christina. (Perhaps the other brothers were too young for the militia?) From research, I knew son William Hurst (aka "William Broad Hurst") and Major Hurst were indeed claimed as sons of William Hurst b. 1710 and Christina McKennie of NC. So, it seems to me that all of them should also be sons as well and all brothers. Other researches seem in agreement as to those boys who show up in GA as being brothers, but do not include either "Isaac" or "Phillip" in that list.

Looking further, according to other family researchers, William Broad, Jacob, Major, James, Andrew, John and Jesse Willis Hurst eventually all ended up in Georgia in the 1800's and are considered sons of William b. 1710 and Christina. But, although Phillip and Isaac were also listed in NC at the same time before disappearing from NC, I find no evidence that either ever went to GA. In 1794, there is a deed in the NC county just north of Chesterfield SC from Phillip Hurst (listing him as Phillip Hurst of Chesterfield CO, SC) that was witnessed by "Major Hurst." The fact that Major witnessed that deed only seems to verify and confirm Phillip as a brother to these others. Phillip died in Chesterfield Co, SC. after 1810, and never made it to GA that I can find.

Further, it appears to me that James, Jacob and Isaac Hurst all made it to Sumter Co, SC area in the mid 1780's where we find them in the 1790 census listed under the name "Hunt." They correctly show up in the 1800 census as James, Jacob, and Isaac "Hurst." James and Jacob disappear from SC after that. Jacob shows up in GA with his family after 1800. Records indicate Jacob shows up in Ga with four sons. That matches the SC census for him. Further, research further indicates at least one of Jacob's sons, Daniel Hurst, was born in SC, which means they were indeed in SC at one time. The younger "Isaac Hurst" remained in SC with his family where he died after 1830, and his family moved on to AL. Isaac's line is fairly well researched by that family (even though that family cannot say for certain who his father was), so I know my SC/AL Hursts do not come through him. It seems to me, most family researchers list all these Hurst boys "who came to GA" as brothers and sons of William and Christina, but fail to mention Phillip or Isaac because, although they disappeared from NC, they never show up in GA, and no one has really bothered looking at them or trying to connect them. And no one has bothered looking at James and Jacob as having once lived in SC before going on to GA. Certainly, all these Hursts boys would most likely have travelled through SC to get to GA.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this on to all who had interest. Having been so wrong in the past makes me a little shy about being sure about anything now, so certainly much research should be done by all, and anyone's input is welcome for discussion.

Although I now acknowledge my line is most probably not the Charles Hurst/Benjamin Hurst/Joseph Hurst line out of Charleston/Goose Creek that goes back to the early 1700's, there is another possibility, although I have no evidence. Isaac and Jacob's older brother, James Hurst, while in SC had five unknown sons in the 1790 census all listed as under 17 at that time. Four of these sons disappeared by the 1800 census. I cannot find any info on them. If I assume Phillip Hurst is not the father of my line, then one of these four sons of James could be father to my SC/AL Hursts (all of my SC/AL line being born after 1800). Could one of James's sons have been named "Charles"? I guess I still cling to the family stories and the name "Charles." (I can see the names "John William" and "James", but why would my WMH b. 1807/10/12 SC name his other two sons "Joseph" and "Benjamin"? That Charleston/Goose Creek line just seemed to fit so well. How could I be so wrong?)

I open this up to all for further consideration, sharing, and discussion. I certainly encourage all who can to join the DNA project before making the same mistake as me and waist so much time in wrong research.

Dan R. Hurst
dannis@bravostar.com

Re: NC/SC/GA/AL Hursts

Posted: 29 Jun 2007 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Stone, Hurst
Hello Dan! I have ran into a brick wall and I don't know if you can help me or not. But I figured I would contact you to find out for sure.

I am trying to find out information on a Charity Hurst (or possibly Herst) that was born in GA about 1821. She married China Stone about 1839 or 1840. Unfortunately, that is really all of the information I have on her. My husband's family started doing the family tree research a long time ago, but somehow managed to get Charity and China's second wife combined into one person. I discovered, with the help of a distant relative, that China was indeed married a second time and he was able to retrieve a copy of the marriage certificate. However, we do not have anything on his first marriage. Not only did we hit the brick wall with Charity Hurst, but also with China Stone. So, I'm trying to unravel a mystery here. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Lori Wramp
shyblueeyes2000@yahoo.com

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 8:17PM GMT
Sorry Lori,

I have no such persons in my data. Don't you just hate those brick walls? Keep looking, maybe someone with some info will see your post.

Dan

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hurst
Hello Dan, My ggrandfather was John H Hurst b 9/27/1862. He lived in Saints, Alabama in 1870 with his mother Matilda b1844 (parents from Georgia) and brother Arthur P. b 1860 (no father listed.) My ggrandfather John H. was killed on Jan 7, 1902 in Decatur, Al and is buried in Tuscumbia, Alabama bedside his infant daughter Mary, & his brother Arthur. I cannot find John & Arthur's father. I found a William B Hurst b 1831 in Georgia on the 1880 Saints, Colbert County census. This maybe their uncle or a family member. Do any of these names come up in your data base? Also, I visited Tuscumbia & Decatur last summer to do some research. What a beautiful part of the country. I can's wait to go back. Thank you for your time. Renee Duncan-Cortez Windall111@aol.com.

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 8:03PM GMT
Hello Renee,

(I send this with the understanding that I cannot vouch for its accuracy, and, certainly better research is needed. Those with better and more accurate info need to respond. It is only meant to open up possibilities for your research, and correction is welcome.)

Looking at the 1880 Cobert Co, Alabama census I find a JOHN HURST b. 1865 listed as living in the home of a step-father named RYLARD VANDEVER. I assume this is your John. Obviously, John's father was deceased. It lists John's parents as both born in Alabama - so, it must be his grandfather who was born in GA.

Also listed in that 1880 census for Colbert Co is a JOHN R. HURST b. 1816 in Georgia, and wife EASTER C. HURST b. 1817 in TN. Also listed in Colbert county census is a THOMAS HURST (and family) b. 1841 in Alabama, whose father was born in GA and mother b. in TN. Also listed is a JOHN S HURST (and family) b. 1846 in Alabama, whose father is listed b. in GA, and mother b. in TN. (No doubt brothers, and sons of John R. Hurst and Easter) Along with them is WILLIAM B. HURST (and family) b. 1831 in GA, whose father is listed b. in GA, and mother b. in AL. (Is he also a brother, and son?)

Looking in my data (googling "Tuscumbia"), (although extremely distant from my SC/AL Hurst line) I did locate information of an ELIZABETH CLARISSA HURST, born March 16, 1847, in Burke County, Georgia, who can be found in Tuscumbia. I thought since she was born a "Hurst" and then located to the same area, she might possibly be related to your John. She married SHELBY GRISHAM December 20, 1866 in Morgan County, Alabama. He was born October 20, 1839 in Morgan County, Alabama and died August 16, 1924 in Colbert County, Alabama. Elizabeth died July 30, 1919, in Tuscumbia, Colbert County, Alabama, and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Tuscumbia, Alabama. Is she possibly an aunt to your John?

Looking further, my data records Elizabeth was said to be the daughter of JOHN D. HURST, born June 1, 1816, in Burke County, Georgia. He married ESTHER "CAROLINE" McCORKLE on January 11, 1838, in Burke County, Georgia. (Is this the "Easter C. Hurst" listed in the 1880 census above?) She was said to be the daughter of Joel McCorkle and Elizabeth Waddell. But, my data says Esther was born October 22, 1816, in Burke County, Georgia, not TN (small conflict). She died September 23, 1893, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama. John was a successful farmer. John died July 26, 1897, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama, and is buried in Robinson Family Cemetery. In the 1850 census it is noted that neither John nor "Caroline" could read or write.

What is more interesting is, my info also says John's sons were named William Marion Hurst, Thomas Alexander Hurst, and John Sevier "Dock" Hurst. Is this the "William, Thomas, and John Hursts" and families in the 1880 census above? Are these the same families? Could there possibly have been another son deceased who was father to your John?

I certainly cannot say your John is related to these Hursts mentioned, but with Elizabeth Hurst Grisham being in "Tuscumbia" about the same time as your John, it stuck out that these Hursts in the census and these Hursts I find in my data are one and the same. And your John certaily could be named after a grandfather.

If so, (and I do not vouch for the accuracy here) John D. Hurst was said to be the son of MAJOR HURST, born February 4, 1795, in Duplin County, North Carolina (some say Burke County, Georgia). He married CLARISSA ELLISTON February 4, 1813 in Burke County, Georgia, daughter of Robert Elliston and Sarah Mills. She was born July 1, 1796, in Burke County, Georgia. In the early 1820's, Major with his brother Henry came to Franklin County, Alabama. Major settled near the Old Ebenezer Community, what is known as the Brady Hill home place. In the early 1840's he and his wife Clarissa moved to Etawamba County, Mississippi. Clarissa died March 6, 1882, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama. Major died November 1, 1846, in Etawancha County, Mississippi.

Major Hurst was said to be the son of JOHN JACOB HURST who was born in 1767 in Duplin County, North Carolina. John was married two times. He first married BLYTHE GODBEE. She died in 1806 in Duplin County, North Carolina. Next, he married ELIZABETH “BETTY” HEATH. She was born in 1751 in Duplin County, North Carolina. They had three children. She died in 1806 in Burke County, Georgia. John died September 30, 1831, in Burke County, Georgia, and is buried in the Hurst Family Cemetery.

John Jacob Hurst was said to be son of WILLIAM HURST born in 1742 in Bertie County, North Carolina, the only known son born to John (3) Hurst and Judith Moore. There is a question as to his year of birth. His sister, Mary Hurst, born in 1744 in Bertie County, North Carolina, married Thomas Green October 3, 1764, in Bertie County, North Carolina. William married SARAH OLIVER, born to John Oliver and Sallie ______. William resided in North Carolina. (Many say he is the William Hurst who served in the Revolutionary War and was given a land grant in Bedford County, Tennessee for his services. He is said to have left North Carolina to become one of the first settlers of Tennessee, along with Colonel Bradley Martin and Captain Matthew Martin. He is then said to have returned to North Carolina where he also is said to have owned land in Wayne County, North Carolina.) His grave is said to be in Duplin County, North Carolina.

William Hurst was said to be son to JOHN (3) HURST, said to be was born in 1713 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, (or Duplin County, North Carolina). He died in 1769 in Bertie or Duplin County, North Carolina. Although Judith had a son by a previous marriage, there are only two clearly known children born to John (3) and Judith. But there are intriguing tidbits of information indicating other iblings, and much needs to be researched about John (3) Hurst. John’s wife, JUDITH MOORE, daughter of Epaphroditus Moore, was previously married to William Wilson of Northampton, North Carolina, who died in 1744. His will was filed in January of 1745 with the Secretary of State. Judith’s only son by that marriage, Elisha Moore Wilson, (born in 1775 after his father’s death) was raised by John Hurst and Judith and is known to have lived in Halifax, North Carolina. He would have been a step-son to John and a half-brother to John and Judith’s other children.

John (3) Hurst is said to be son of JOHN (2) HURST (son of John (1) Hurst b. 1635 VA and Dorothy Knight) was born in 1683 (some say 1672) in Isle Of Wight County, Virginia. He married MARY ________. The following information is recorded:

Title: Wills & Administrations of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, 1647-1800
Author: Blanche Adams Chapman
Publication: First pub 1938, Reprint 1975, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, Maryland
Abbrev: Wills & Administrations of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, 1647-1800
Text: HURST, John: Leg. wife Wit: Joseph Wright, Robert Brown, John Anthonyrue Page 58
Page: Page 98
Text: HURST, John: Leg. wife, Mary, the plantation bought of William Price; son James; son William; son John; sons Philip and Walter to be bound out at 14 to learn a trade; dayghter Alice; daughter Mary; son John a ring given him by Dorothye Hurst. Wife, Extx. D. January 1, 1727. R. February 26, 1727.
Wit: Joseph Wright, Robert Brown, John Anthonyrue Page 58

So, JOHN (2) was known to have had at least seven children, but only two have been researched, William and John (3). The information shows he died January 1, 1727 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia . It is somewhat confusing to find that John (2) was born and died in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, while his children all seem to have been born in Duplin County, North Carolina. It remains a mystery which needs further investigation.

Anyway, this info gives you something to possibly research and connect to.

Best wishes

Dan R. Hurst

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 10:42PM GMT
Renee,

A little follow up on what I posted previously. There seems to be a small confusion between my info and the 1880 Colbert Co census that indicates William B. Hurst listed in Colbert Co AL may not be William Marion Hurst, son of John B. Hurst b. 1816. (William B. Hurst b 1831 is the person both you and I found in the census.) That census also lists his wife named Mary and children named Benjamin b. 1864, William B. b. 1867, Dickson b. 1870, and Forrest b. 1879. This conflicts with what I have in my info on "William Marion Hurst" b. 1838, son of John D. Hurst b. 1816. My info says William Marion Hurst was married twice, but no time to a "Mary" (or Matilda), and he is said to have had no children. (I know what you may be thinking - could this William Marion Hurst b. 1838 be the father of your John? Unfortunately, my info also says William Marion Hurst died in 1894 in Russelville AL, so it is not likely he is father of your John unless there was a divorce.)

However, other of my info does list a "William Barker Hurst" b. Oct. 7, 1831 (1st cousin of John D. Hurst b. 1816) who was married to Mary Ann Patrick. My info shows William Barker Hurst had children with same names as the William B. Hurst in the 1880 census. He was son of Henry William Hurst b. 1798 NC, brother of Major Hurst who was father to John D. Hurst b. 1816. (This does appear to be a better match.)

Renee, I suggest looking for the father of your "John" first with John D. Hurst b. 1816, finding John D. Hurst in earlier census's where he may be found, and hoping to find another son (besides the three I mentioned) who could fit as father to your John. If there is no other son, then the father of your "John" could be another descendant of Henry William Hurst, so you may have to track each line through the census. I do have some on this line, but look at John D. Hurst first, and if you can't find anything, contact me and I will provide what I have on the other line. It does appear a great number of these Hursts went to Russelville, AL from GA and then spread out.

Best wishes,

DAN R. HURST
dannis@bravostar.com

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Hurst
Dan,
Thank you for all of your help. I did not realize there were so many Hurst's in Franklin and Colbert County in the mid to late 1800's. I will keep you posted. I did find a Franklin Hurst, son of Henry and Mary Austin. My ggrandfather had a middle initial "H" and he named one of his daughters Mary and one of his grandson's is named Austin. I found him on an 1850 census in Franklin County but cannot locate him after that. If he was in the civil war, this may be why he cannot be located on an 1860 census. If he was killed in the civil war, this may be why he is not listed with his family on the 1870 census. Just a guessing game at this time. lol Renee :)

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 3:09PM GMT
Renee,

My data indicates Henry William Hurst and Mary Austin had six sons, Franklin being only one. I have info on the other five, but I have nothing on son Franklin Hurst, except he was born in Franklin Co AL in 1840 (no date or place of death, no wife or family listed). So he is one I would definitely look at as a good candidate for possible father of your John.

The brother's names I have as Henry William Hurst b. April 9, 1827, John Hurst b. 1827, William Barker Hurst b. October 27, 1831, Henry C. (William?) Hurst b. 1836 (some confusion here), George Washington Hurst b. 1838, and then Franklin Hurst b. 1840, all said born in Franklin Co AL. The majority of these are said to have ended up in Arkansas with families.

Some other things to consider - you mention dob for your John as 1862, and 1880 census says dob 1865. Either way, his father was alive at least close to his birth. (Also consider birth date of siblings.) If he died before 1870 census, where is wife and family in that census? I do not have access to 1870 census, so perhaps a good sumaritan will help with a look-up. Also, the only Hurst land patent I find for Coblert Co is March 1, 1858 for William R. Hurst. But there is a land patent for 40 acres issued to a Franklin Hurst on January 3, 1860 in Houston Co AL.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 4:45PM GMT
Renee,

Just one more thing to think about - Colbert Co was not formed until 1867, after the war. It was the Northern part of Franklin Co before that. So, before 1867, Franklin Co records could be important.

Best wishes,

Dan R. Hurst

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 12:05AM GMT
Thank you for the FYI. I had found that information as well. So far Franklin Hurst is still a mystery. I do feel however that he may be my link. John D. Hurst (son of Major) could have been related as he lived in Township 6 Range 11 and my grandfather lived in Township 6 Range 10 in 1870. What a puzzle....:)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic