Search for content in message boards

John Alexander Allen died July 1982

John Alexander Allen died July 1982

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to order a newspaper search for an obit from shsofmo.org but I don't have the exact date, only the month and year from the SSDI. Could someone with more knowledge than I have of research for St. Louis City tell me how I can find the day of this person's death?

Thanks very much.
Linda Stockdale

Re: John Alexander Allen died July 1982

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 12:42AM GMT
For $13.00, you can order a death record from the State of Missouri.

http://health.mo.gov/data/vitalrecords/applications.php

If your local library participates in the Inter Library Loan (ILL) program, you could see if you can order the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for that time period. I know I could do this several years ago but our library no longer participates because of the costs.

It is possible that the person died somewhere other than what the SSDI shows. The SSDI shows where the last check went to from what I understand not necessarily where the person died.

Looks like the newspapers can be ordered from the state Historical Society. http://shsofmo.org/store/research/interlibrary-loan/interlib...

Re: John Alexander Allen died July 1982

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 2:51PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information and links.

I do agree that the last known residence on the SSDI doesn't necessarily mean the person died there. However, from other research I know that he was a longtime resident of St. Louis and I think it's very possible that an obit would have been published there in 1982.

My local library no longer participates in the Inter Library Loan program either. I can order and pay for a newspaper search from the Missouri Historical Society, but understandably they will not search the whole month of July, 1982.

I will order the death record from Vital Records. Thank you for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions