Search for content in message boards

Deep River Area Finns

Deep River Area Finns

Posted: 2 Sep 2007 4:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pernula, Witikka
Hi I am looking for any information that any one might have on Andrew & Emma Pernula, my grandparents. They had 8 children, Esther, Anna, Wilfred, Lester, Helen, Frans, Harold & Howard (Ted).
My grandfather was a locomotive engineer in the logging camps. He was born in Hailuoto Finland. They had lived at Millers Point at one time. I also have a lot of old photos from that area with some names on some of them that were friends of the Pernula children. Also a lot without names. My grandmothers maiden name was Witikka.
Thanks

Re: Deep River Area Finns

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 3:31AM GMT
I first found Andrew Pernula in Northside, Sweetwater Co., WY in 1900. He was born July, 1873, Finland, single in 1900, immigrated in 1895, alien and a coal miner. He was living in a boarding house and a Mathew Pernula was listed above him on the Census. Mathew was b. May 1882, Finland, single in 1900, immigrated in 1900, alien and a coal miner.

Andrew, wife and family appear on the 1910 Census in Deep River, Wahkiakum Co., WA. Andrew was married abt. 1905, b. Finland, immigrated in 1900, pending application for citizenship, 26 and woodsman logging camp. His wife Emma was b. abt. 1890, WA and had given birth to 3 children all of whom were alive in 1910. Ester b. WA, abt. 1906; Minnie b. WA abt. 1907 and Wilfred b. WA abt. 1909.

Harold Arthur Pernale (their spelling which might be an index mistake) b. 24 April 1914 in Wahkiakum Co. to father Andrew Pernale (their spelling) and mother Emma Victoria Witikka. Source: WA Births Index 1907-1919.

Wilma Sylvia Pernula b. 23 June 1915 in Wahkiakum Co. Father-Andrew Pernula and mother=Emma Victoria Witikka. Source: WA Birth Index 1907-1919.

Howard Theodore Pernula b. 10 Sept 1916, Wahkiakum Co. Father=Andrew Pernula and mother=Emma V. Witikka. Source: same as above.

Andrew Pernula filled out his World War I Draft Reg. Card 9/12/1918. He was living in Anieda, Wahkiakum Co., WA. He was b. 1 April 1883, Finland-Russia. He was an alien declared and an engineer for North Shore Logging Co., Megler, Pacific Co., WA. His nearest relative was Mrs. Emma Pernula, Anieda. He was medium height and build with blue eyes and light hair.

In 1920 Andrew and family were living in Deep River, Wahkiakum Co. Andrew's citizenship application was still pending, he was a general farmer & 36 yrs old. Emma was 30. Ester was 14, Minnie 12; Wilfred 10; All children b. WA. Helen 7; Harold 5; Wilma 4; Theodore 3; and Lester 9.

In 1930 Andrew and part of his family were still living in Deep River. Andrew was married at 21 yrs and a naturalized citizen. He was 47 & dairy farmer. Emma was 40. Harold, farm laborer & 16; Wilma 14 and Theodore 13.

The Censuses available to the public end at 1930 which makes it more difficult to trace family members after that date. I didn't find anything else for Ester, Minnie, Helen and Wilma. They probably married. There's a "Look Up" link at www.rootsweb.com/~wawahkia/.

A Wilfred Pernula, 542-10-0787 who was b. 1 Aug 1909, died Feb 1965. His soc. sec. # was assigned in OR before 1951. Source: Social Security Death Index (which anyone can access).

A Wilfred W. Pernula died 9 Feb 1965 in Coos County, OR per death cert #1613. Age=55, spouse=Ida. Source: OR Death Index 1903-1998.

A Harold Pernula, 535-03-0748, last residence=Westport, Grays Harbor Co., WA (which might be where his last benefit check was mailed to) was b. 24 April 1914. He died Jan 1972. His soc. sec. # was assigned to him in WA before 1951.

A Howard Theodore Pernula, 533-05-3636, was b. 10 Sep 1916, WA and d. 11 Aug 1993, Riverside Co., CA. Mother's maiden name=Whittakka (their spelling). Source: CA Death Index 1940-1997.

A Howard T. Pernula, same soc. sec # as above, last residence Riverside, Riverside Co., CA was b. 10 Sep 1916 and d. 11 Aug 1993. His soc. sec # was assigned in WA before 1951. Source: SSDI.

A Lester Pernula, 535-10-0920, last residence was Westport, Grays Harbor Co., WA was b. 8 Jan 1911 and d. April 1966. His soc. sec # was assigned in WA before 1951. Source: SSDI.

Good luck with your research!

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 4:57AM GMT
judyartley26191 Thank you very much for the information.

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 7:22AM GMT
Obituary:

---------Howard and his wife Roberta-----------
Press-Enterprise, The (Riverside, CA)
August 18, 1993
Howard Pernula
Services for Howard "Ted" Pernula, 76, will be at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow at Acheson and Graham Garden of Prayer Mortuary in Riverside. He died of heart failure Aug. 11 at Parkview Community Hospital in Riverside.
Friends may call from 5 until 9 p.m. today at the mortuary.
Interment will be in Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside.
Mr. Pernula, who was born in Deep River, Wash., moved to Riverside from Guayaquil, Ecuador, 34 years ago and started his own general contracting company. He operated the company until he had a heart attack in 1991 and his wife has carried on the business.
He previously was a captain on a yacht for Lloyds of London in Seattle, Wash., Honolulu and San Diego for three years. He bought his own Tuna Clipper and was contracted under Van Camp Seafoods Co. in San Diego for three years. He moved to Ecuador and operated his clipper for three years.
He was a member of the Elk's Club in Riverside.
Mr. Pernula is survived by his wife, Roberta; two sons, Howard T. Pernula Jr. of Riverside and Keith Pernula-Smith of Texas; a step-son, Allan Falsetti of Riverside; 10 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Esther Pollari and Ann MacLarnsberry, both of Washington.

Press-Enterprise, The (Riverside, CA)
November 3, 1999
Roberta Pernula
Graveside services for Roberta Jean Pernula, 86, will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside. She died Oct. 27 of a stroke at Villa Health Care Center in Riverside.
Acheson & Graham Garden of Prayer Mortuary in Riverside is handling arrangements.
Mrs. Pernula, who was born in Bradley, Okla., lived in Riverside 41 years. She was a licensed engineering contractor and worked for Ted & Son Equipment Rental Inc. in Riverside for 41 years before she retired in 1998 as chief executive officer.
She is survived by two sons, Allen Falsetti of Riverside and Howard Pernula of Redlands; 10 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Gladys Woodford of Riverside and Jewel Hensel of Vista.

California Birth Index, Howard Theodore Pernula, born 28 Jan 1952 in San Diego, mothers maiden name Pollard.
California Marriage Index shows a Howard T. Pernula born about 1952, married a Bonniela V. Bobst, born about 1953, marriage on 28 August 1971 in Sacramento.
Had three daughters, Theodora V 1975, Roxie Laurianne 1978, and Melodi Erin 1981. All born in San Bernardino Co, CA. Mothers maiden name: Bobst.
Carmen J. Finley Finleyc@sonoma.edu "might" have knowledge on them.

-------Esther M. Pollari------
Social Security Death Index has Esther M. Pollari, born 4 Oct 1905, died 13 Feb 1998. Last residence and last benefit listed as Grayland, Grays Harbor, WA.
--Oiva born 8 December 1903, died May 1979 in Grayland, Grays Harbor, WA.
---The 1930 Census for Raymond, Pacific County, WA
Oiva Pollari, age 26, born in Washington to both parents born in Finland, laborer in a lumber mill, married at age 24.
Esther, age 24, born in Washington to father born in Finland, mother in WA.

-----------Frans--------
Frans Arthur Pernula, born April 11, 1913, died May `6, 1914, from acute gastroenteritis per: http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi3d20ge.htm

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 3:17PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information RBestrom7380

Posted: 29 Oct 2007 10:56PM GMT
My Grandfather and Great uncle both were in that area, their names were Olaf Edward and Birger Ivar Andersson. Perhaps they are in the photos. Do you know the name of the logging camp? You have not mentioned what years they were there? that would help me look for them.

Posted: 30 Oct 2007 3:43PM GMT
Hi my family was in Deep River from early 1900's, my dad was born there in 1909 I have photos from around 1909 to late 1920's. Also they had a house at Miller's Point.
The logging camps mentioned are K M Camp and Olson Camp. I have a lot of photos of unknown's to me as no names on the photos and some that the names were hard to read from fading over the years. If you want I could get you the site I have the photos on so you could look through them and see if you know anyone.
Thanks

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 4:56PM GMT
thank you for the invite to look at the photos, I would really appreciate it. I have many photos from that era also, i will view them together and see if I can name some for you. again thanks.

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 5:51PM GMT
I ran into a snag, I have downloaded all the photos to costco and would need an email address to share them, so am not sure how to get them to you.
Judy

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 6:51PM GMT
here is the addy to send them too. thanks so much.
andersoncotter@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic