Search for content in message boards

Sarah Hames bc. 1809 Union Co. SC

Sarah Hames bc. 1809 Union Co. SC

Ray MacMahon (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2006 1:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McMahon, Callaghan, McBride, Sprouse, Hames, Fowler, Farr
Hi List,

This is my first post to the Hames list. Sarah Hames bc 1809, daft 1860 married William Sprouse, b 1798, d 10 Jul 1881. I believe William is my 2nd great grandfather but have no proof. I found this list of their children on Rootsweb;

Henry Clay, Betsey, Polly, Lydia, Frances, Eliza, Gustyann and Scintha.

It is my belief that the first child of William and Sarah was not Henry but John Sprouse b Aug 1828. I have examined all the Sprouse families listed in the 1840 census for Union Co. and only William had a male child of the correct age to have been my John Sprouse. In 1850 William and Sarah Sprouse's oldest child living at home is listed as Henry, age 19. In 1850
John Sprouse, age 22, was working as a laborer in Union Co. The ages would work out just right.

A posting on the Sprouse Family Genealogy Forum at Genealogy.com by a Tammy Guinn, dated 23 Feb. 2001 said:

"Sarah Hames and William Sprouse are buried at Fosters Chapel Methodist Church in Pea Ridge area in Union County, SC. They had 8 children: John,Henry, Liza, Betsy, Synthis, Lemuel, Nancy and Frances." I sent Tammy an
e-mail but the address was no good.

I believe William Sprouse and Sarah Hames Sprouse are my 2nd great grandparents. John Sprouse is my great grandfather. If anyone has proof or information that John Sprouse is William and Sarah's son, please contact me.

Ray MacMahon

Re: Sarah Hames bc. 1809 Union Co. SC

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: Sprouse, Hames, Millwood, Johnson, Brown
I don't know how broadly you have researched, but I am interested in the Sprouses and the Hameses. I am descended from James Johnson, John Brown, and a Millwood. Simpson Millwood married Sarah Sprouse, and I think this couple are my ancestors, but have been unable to prove it. John Brown lived on or by Hames land, and his wife's name was Sarah H. Brown. My female ancestral line through James Johnson's wife, Sophia (surname unknown) is the same as that of my Millwood ancestor whose mother might have been Sarah Sprouse. I'd like to compare notes.

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Sprouse, Hames, Eubank
I do not have any information on Simpson Millwood. William Sprouse fathered children by Nicey Millwood, b.1808 Union Co. SC d.1863 Forsyth Co. GA. They did not marry. He then married Sarah Hames b.1809 SC, d.1855 Union SC, fathering 11 children. He then married Angeline Eubank bc 1830, dc 1869, fathering five more children.

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 7:53PM GMT
Thank you for responding. Interesting that William Sprouse did have a relationship with Nicey Millwood. I am beginning to wonder why so many Millwood women seem to have ended up as mistresses of local men rather than marrying. Was there something about the Millwoods' social status or was there an ethnic admixture that made them attractive concubines but not wives? I may be stretching with these thoughts, but I've been reading about the Jefferson-Hemings relationship and it stimulates these questions. James L. Harris fathered children with but was not married to Amanda Millwood (b. 1845-9). My great grandmother was their daughter.

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Hames
Hi I have a very weird story but here goes:

I sent a message to a friend I just recently began talking to again. They responded asking who I was. I told them Lauren, my name, and they didn't know me. I checked our recent call log and the number I had saved for them was off by one number. My "Friends incorrectly saved number" belongs to someone named Andrew Hames. I'm a name -tymyologist by nature so I looked it up and saw a ton of postings for the last name Hames. I read a few but when I got yours my skin got chills, bad. It is doing repeatedly as I type this. I wanted to let you know that I feel this may be more than mere coincidence. One reason is that I do not know this man, Andrew, and the next thing he asked me was if I wanted to hang out. He knows nothing of me except the message I was sending to "my friend." which was "thank you, I can talk now if you're free."

Call me if you're interested 916-799-8786
Lauren

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hames
Lauren,
Your message is rather confusing in that it does not address your relationship to Sarah Hames Sprouse. If we are related please respond to this message. I do not have long distance on my home phone therefore I cannot call you.

rayfmac

Thomas Hames dec'd 1813 Union Co SC - related to Charles Hames and others

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:06AM GMT
EThomas Hames wrote his will dated 5 Oct 1813 Union Co SC. He mentions wife Susanna and a son Garaway Hames (land held by Pleasant Smeed?), and eight daughters Nancy, Molly, Rebecca, Sally, Suckey, Cynthia, Millisa and Patsey Hames. Executors were his two brothers Charles Hames and Edmund Hames. Witnesses were Mark Hames, Israel Fowler, and Jesse Mabry, and the will was proven 8 May 1816.

In the 1810 Union SC census, Mark Hames, Charles Hames, Hannah Hames, William Hames, Thomas Hames, Edmond Hames, John Hames and some connecting surnames were living near one another.

If anybody has information on this line, please let me know.

I'm trying to determine the last name of Melissa born c1796, wife of Samuel J. Glass born c1793 in Union Co SC. They married c1818 (in the 1820 census with one young son). Samuel Glass and wife were living in the same location in Union Co SC as the Hames families were in 1810. Samuel was a son of of Mary Adams Glass dec'd 1828 and (I think) Robert Glass dec'd 1813 Union Co SC. Samuel's brother Thomas Glass was also there in 1820 and 1830 (married Jane Huckaby).

Thanks, Gary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions