Search for content in message boards

Keesee information

Keesee information

Norman Barber (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2006 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Keesee , Mustain
I am looking for the spouse for Amy Keesee b. 1776 Virginia.
Father Jesse Keese b. 1752 King George County, Va. Mother
Mildred " Milley" Mustain b. 1755 Pittsylvania County, Va. Died 1838.

Re: Keesee information

pbb (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2006 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: KEESEE
Amy Montague Keesee m. Thomas Greene 02 March 1792 in Pittsylvania County, VA. They moved to Roane, TN, which was where they both died.

Kenneth J Greene (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2006 12:34AM GMT
Amy Keesee married my gggg grandfather Thomas Greene and moved to Roane county, Tennessee in 1811 or 1812 where they both died there. Thomas Greene was raised buy a Turley family and was using the name Turley when he married Amy however Mr Turley made Thomas change his name back to Greene. He's listed in the marriage records as ThomasGrine Turley. There are records about them in Roane county history. Hope this helps Ken Greene

karen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2006 12:44AM GMT
Hi Ken
I'm interested that you say Mr. Turley made Thomas Greene change his name to Greene. We've long thought he was a Greene who was raised by one Thomas Turley, though there's a problem in sorting out which Thomas Turley, and why he was raising Thomas Greene. In any case, have you found something that supports Mr. Turley forcing Thomas Green/Greene/Grine to go by that name, vs keeping the Turley name?

it's a simple matter of curiousity on my end. Amy was the sister of my ancestor, and she's in my family tree. I know in 1871, when a suit was settled over Avery Mustain Keesee's portion of his father's estate, there was mention of trying to find the children of Amy Keesee Greene.

Just curiious if something has come to light to help identify Thomas Greene (Turley).

Thanks
Karen

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Greene
I think we are related through Thomas Greene. I'm searching for the names of his parents and more importantly, where from and when did his family immigrate? Would you happen to know answers to these questions. My mother is a Green (dropped the e along the history) and her family always told her Wales. My tree is Phalen Green Family. Lane Phalen

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 2:37AM GMT
I wish I could answer that question. As far as I know, Thomas Green(e) was raised reportedly by a Rev. Thomas Turley. The problem is there were a bunch of Thomas Turley's and to the best of my knowledge no one has figured out who he was nor the relationship between them, if he was an uncle or simply a court appointed guardian or perhaps a stepfather. We have no idea. I know Amy Keesee married Thomas Green(e) as mentioned in the very late probate of Avery Mustain's will, Supposedly until his marriage, Thomas Greene signed his name as Thomas Greene Turley. It is said his father died in the Rev. war and he lived with Rev. Turley until his marriage. That said, Its more than likely that his mother married Mr Turley, as there does not appear to be compsensation for raising him by the county or gov't to any Thomas Turley.. And there are so many Green's or Greene's it would be impossible. I think he died prior to being able to claim anything from the government. I think that wasn't until after 1842 which is when he is supposed to have died. I"m not much help, but if he applied for his father's pension, you might find answers in the National Archives. Wish I could tell you more.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Green
Thank you so much. I took a stab that you had the answer to the mystery. But, all of genealogy is a mystery. I am trying to discover the country where my mother's namesake (Green) immigrated from. With such a common name, as you said, research and reality are difficult to find. Happy Holidays, Lane

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 8:29PM GMT
The only hint I can give you is that a bunch of Green's and Turley's, along with Simpson's and others related to Keesee's came from the Northern Neck of VA in the later 1700's. George Keesee however, died in King George Co VA in 1740. I cannot get past Thomas Mustain and his wife either. George Keesee appears to be the immigrant but that said, while I have his estate, the will was lost and I have no clue about his origins either. We held 2 reunions in 2000 and 2002 and found about 1000 descendants with 6 different spellings of the last name, and DNA matched but none of us know where he came from or if he was French or British. My guess is that he was French but... Green(e)s also show up in Early Quaker records both in New England and VA but... Turley's do not. I do know there were Turleys in the Fairfax/Stafford/ etc counties of VA and in MD before that. But Green is like picking through a haystack. IF anything, I'd look for pension records for either Thomas due from his father, or the grandchildren- Thomas and Amy's children, due from their grandfather. You can sometimes find them online at the archives or at the DAR library

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:12PM GMT
Thank you so much. You have certainly filled out the story. Terrific that you attended two reunions. I bet that was a joyful time of trading stories. My male cousin, a Green, promised to take a DNA test. My exploration began with the Green's from TN and KY who moved to Iowa at the time of the Civil War. Many Green decendants are still in Lone Tree and Louisa County. I didn't know that George is possibly the immigrant/ You are so right about Green(e) being like picking through a haystack. Thanks for the tip about searching through the relatives of Thomas and Amy. I never would have dreamed of searching through the DAR library. Are you a professional genealogist? Do you use websites other than Ancestry? How long have you been hunting your family tree? I had such an easy time with my Dad's Irish tree---potato famine and the decendants live in the same small town and are evven buried next to each other! I wish I could help you. If there is anything at all that I can do, please let me know. You have been a great help to me.

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 4:38AM GMT
Lol. No I'm not a professional genealogist but I've been at it since the mid 1970's and went to most every court house in Virginia that still had records. I am a member of the DAR and I do have access to their website for research. I use ancestry as well, mostly for the actual images of records, but I have scores of record books I've collected over the years along with the 3 books Vince Kesee wrote and illustrated over the years. They're good reading but not necessarily great for genealogy. Genealogy without documentation is just a family story. Many of them have a grain of truth in them but I've found most of the stories I was told as a child tended to have been been a bit improved or distorted to say the least. But they were good for a start. Other sites that may or may not be useful are the NARA.gov online files and the digital collections at the Library of Virginia (which is where I really started) as well as the University of Virginia which is digitizing a lot of its collection. They have a main library and a second one. The second one has a marvelous collection of manuscripts and Bibles as does the LVA. Beware all Bibles are not created equal in information. If it is type written vs handwritten I tend to question the authenticity. If it is all in one hand, that's another problem unless its only one or two generations. I am lucky in that I have Sally Keesee Colbert's family Bible, which then went to my great grandmother, and then my great aunt, then a cousin and now to me, though copies of the pages are on file at LVA. Wish I could answer your Green questions but they have eluded me, though I admit to not looking all that hard. It was through Booker Keesee's Father in law, William Dove, also originally from MD> Fairfax Co as a child> Pittsylvania County after the Rev. War that I joined the DAR on. I have 11 more I can prove were in the war but they're all already documented so for me there's really now need. Most libraries have some of the DAr listings and sometimes they can help but with a name such as Thomas Green you'll unfortunately spend most of your life hunting. The answer may lie in the orphans court records in Pittslvania County if you could get a genealogist to look there for you. I am not in Virginia anymore and I do not know when I will get back there since the last close relative in the county has died this year. But I hope you can maybe find someone to look. Also try the Virginia/NC Piedmont genealogy society in Danville at the Library. They are a great group and have a website and they will sometimes do research for you for a small fee. Worth a look. Happy hunting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions