Search for content in message boards

Mrs. Sadie KNIGHT died 1958; owned ANDERSON Bible

Mrs. Sadie KNIGHT died 1958; owned ANDERSON Bible

Posted: 20 Jun 2004 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SAXON, ANDERSON, KNIGHT
Searching for Bible mentioned in Mildred W. GOODLETT's book, Waterloo: A History of the Anderson Family of Old Laurens District of South Carolina (Hiott Press, 1961):

"Molly Saxon, daughter of Charles Saxon and his wife, Judith, and sister of Major Lewis Saxon, became the third wife of George Anderson on July 13, 1773, according to the George Anderson family bible which was in possesion of Mrs. Sadie Knight of Talledega, AL, a great great grand-daughter, at the time of her death in 1958."

If you have any knowledge of this Bible, or information about Sadie Knight's family, please contact me.

--Ron Head (Montgomery, AL)

Re: Mrs. Sadie KNIGHT died 1958; owned ANDERSON Bible

Posted: 30 Jun 2004 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Anderson
I am also interested in the Andersons of Talladega and would like share information.

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 6:52PM GMT
Sadie (Phillips) Knight was my grand-aunt and raised my father after her sister/his mother died in 1923. I inherited her files; she died in 1955.

I often wondered what became of Maj. George Anderson's Bible. Early last year, I found the following source references in a notebook in which she had been writing about family history:

> Family Bible of Geo. Anderson now in possession of his
> granddaughter Mary Anderson, Talladega, Ala. Also his son
> William R. Anderson’s Bible now in possession of Mrs.
> C.P. Anderson, Ft. Valley, Ga.

On another page, apparently written later and referring to the same Bible:

> Names and dates copied from Elizabeth Anderson’s family
> Bible, now in possession of her daughter Mary Saxon
> Anderson, Talladega, Ala.

In pencil just below, in the same handwriting:

> Bible burned in house of J.T.D. Cater, Talladega.

Mary Saxon Anderson never married and died in 1922. James Thomas David Cater, a nephew with whom she had lived per Census records, died in 1938.

Lee Perryman
Alexandria, Va.

Marian Saxon Stone (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2005 1:48AM GMT
In your reply you state that you inherited the files. I was wondering if you had any records that further stated other family members of Charles Saxon's wife Judith, we are thinking she may be a Smith and wondered if her siblings were noted at all. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Marian Saxon Stone so sad that the bible burned. svedmark99@mail2world.com

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 4:21AM GMT
Unfortunately, the notes don't show the maiden name of Judith, so I have no more information on her line.

Lee

Marian Stone (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 1:25PM GMT
Do you by any chance have a copy of the bible page or a transcript of it? Thanks so much. Marian Saxon Stone svedmark99@mail2world.com

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 12:31AM GMT
No, only her references to it. In addition to George Anderson's family Bible, she also mentions "his son William R. Anderson’s Bible now in possession of Mrs. C.P. Anderson Ft. Valley, Ga." William Robert Anderson (1785-1857) had 12 children and died in Ft. Valley, Houston Co., Ga., but I've not been able to identify this Mrs. Anderson and not sure what it might contain (or whether she had copies of pages from George's Bible). Sadie's notes were penned between 1903-1914, so the trail is cold.

Lee

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 2:14AM GMT
Mrs. C. P. ANDERSON may be Clara (PHILLIPS) ANDERSON, wife of one of Wm. Robert ANDERSON's great-grandsons:

William Robert ANDERSON (b. 1785)

son: John Saxon ANDERSON (b. 1811)

g’son: George David ANDERSON (b. ca 1846)

grt-g’son: George David ANDERSON, Jr. (b. 1875)
married Clara PHILLIPS (1882-1926)

She may be the “Mrs. C. P. ANDERSON” mentioned as the owner of the second ANDERSON Bible. George & Clara (PHILLIPS) ANDERSON’s children seem to have been these:

Martha Mildred b. ca 1903 (m. Robert L. HARRIS)
Hugh b. ca 1906
Emily b. ca 1908
Juliette b. ca 1910
George D. b. ca 1915

By 1930, Clara had died, and her husband George and younger children Emily, Juliette, and George (III) were living in Peach Co., GA, in the household of Robert and Mildred HARRIS, who by then had a son Robert L., Jr. (b. ca 1925).

The GA Death Index has this entry, probably Mildred’s husband:

Robert L. HARRIS d. 31 Mar 1964 (age 63) Peach Co.

Also, one Hugh ANDERSON (age 55) died 25 Sep 1961 in Catoosa Co.—possibly Mildred’s brother.

Marian Saxon Stone (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: saxon, anderson
Lee is it possible to get a copy of the bible pages that you have? I would be willing to pay for them especially if they list Judith. Thanks. Marian Saxon Stone You can email me directlyat svedmark99@mail2world.com. Thanks so much I am interested as well because my first husband's grandmother was an Anderson from Elbert and Anderson, SC and there may be some info there that help with that as well. My children's great grandmother was Corrine Anderson married to CP McCullough. She died in the last two years and was 99 I believe.

Posted: 24 Jan 2005 8:45PM GMT
None of the Bible pages survived the fire. I only have Sadie's notes, which are not comprehensive and, unfortunately, don't seem to cover what you're looking for.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic