Search for content in message boards

Just found my father's brother listed on National Jewish Welfare Board

Just found my father's brother listed on National Jewish Welfare Board

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Besch
I was looking up my "maiden name Besch" and found my father's brother listed on "Death" National Jewish Welfare Board. He was KIA during WWII and I visited his grave in St. Avold, France. When I visited his grave he had no "Star of David" on his headstone and I have never known of any Jewish people in our family. Besch also, doesn't seem like a Jewish name and I can trace my great great grandfather back to Germany. It's listed on Ancestry.com WWII Jewish Servicemen. Can anyone help me with this.

Re: Just found my father's brother listed on National Jewish Welfare Board

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 6:48PM GMT
Admin note:

It would be easier for someone to help you knowing what specific help you're seeking and your uncle's full name, birth date and place.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 7:16PM GMT
: Philip M Besch KIA 4/13/1945 by Carol Besch of 22361
IS this the one??

Private Philip M. Besch, 39 475 959, Army of the United States is interred at American Battle Monuments Commission Lorraine Cemetery, St. Avold, France.

You can access this info yourself at:

< http://www.americanwardead.com/searchww.htm > (double-click on the address to go there)

The division veterans association may be able to assist in locating one or more who served with him. Here are two addresses:

Society of the 3d Infantry Division
163 Lyman Street
Westboro, Massachusetts 01581-2619

Society of the 3d Infantry Division
201 Cherokee Trail
Hinesville, Georgia 31313-5701

The society maintians a website featuring a personal locater service at:
< http://members.home.net/3rdiv/index.htm >

You can also order his deceased file. You'll find instructions at Message #2112.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Besch
Thank you but I knew this. I have visited his grave in St. Avold France. I know his date of birth and the date he died. I also know where he was born. During my childhood nothing was ever mentioned about being Jewish. In fact the US Roster of World War II Dead it lists him as "Protestant". But then I found another form from the National Jewish Wefare Board where it lists him. So I'm confused as to why he would be listed on there. The information provided to the Jewish Welfare Board was given to them by his father a year after he was killed. Under Source of Information (I'm assuming to verify he was Jewish) it says OWI Ser. #50-pg. 2834. I've attached a copy of what I found
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 8:35PM GMT
are both father and son named Philip? If so it is doubtful that they are jewish unless father died before his birth. Is anyone in the family interred in a jewish cemetery or have any jewish symbol asociated with it?

Is there a cross on the french headstone?

ido not see whwere it is listed he is jewish -do you have an obit?

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 8:37PM GMT
is there a way to check the name and social security # as there may be 2 with same name.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:13PM GMT
Yes there is a cross on headstone. And yes it is the same Philip on the Jewish Card as my uncle. Gives his fathers name and address in Seattle and it's the correct address where my grandfather lived. I'm baffled.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2013 7:33PM GMT
'are both father and son named Philip? If so it is doubtful that they are jewish unless father died before his birth'

Some Jewish families do specifically name after the living to show respect; others don't name after the living but only after deceased people, also to show respect - so I don't think that the fact that the son had the same name as the father proves anything.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:23PM GMT
fyi Sephardic Jews name after the living but not Ashkenazi -not out of lack of respect but do not use same name out of superstition.

It is very rare to find a Jr in Judaism.

irregardless, you will have to use some other source for verification.At that time p eriod, if the mother was not jewish and did not convert before the child's birth, the child would not be considered jewish.
recently, if the father is Jewish so is the child in very reform congregations but not the norm.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 5:16PM GMT
If you review the information here:
http://digifindingaids.cjh.org/?pID=360439
you will find that records for non-Jewish servicemen are also included in this collection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions