Search for content in message boards

Descendents of Charles Edward McGee (b. 1876 PA) and Rose Matilda Mayers McGee

Descendents of Charles Edward McGee (b. 1876 PA) and Rose Matilda Mayers McGee

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 9:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGee, Mayer, Butler, Watson, Robinsob
Woould very much like to contact descendents of Charles and Rose McGee. Children were Mary Thelma McGee Butler, Gladys Ursula McGee Watson, Margaret McGee, Clara B. McGee Robinson. and Joseph E. McGee.

Any help making a contact would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

John McGee

Re: Descendents of Charles Edward McGee (b. 1876 PA) and Rose Matilda Mayers McGee

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 1:14AM GMT
I am not related, but thought maybe the obit may help you track down family, hopefully this is something you do not have yet:
Zanesville Signal, Ohio, page 10, Novemeber 18, 1939.
Miss Margaret McGee Funeral Monday
QUAKER CITY.-Funeral services for Miss Margaret C. McGee daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed McGee of Temperanceville, who died Friday at her home, will be held at 9 o'clock Monday morning at St. Mary's Catholic church, Temperanceville. Burial will be in the Friends cemetery.
Miss McGee was a lifelong resident, of the Temperanceville vicinity. Surviving are her parents, and
three sisters, Mrs. Thelma Butler,near Barnesville; Mrs. Gladys Watson, near Quaker City, and Mrs. Bernadine Robinson , of Quaker City, and one brother, Joseph
McGee, of the home.
The body was removed to Eberle funeral home, Quaker City.
Zanesville Times Recorder, Ohio, page 3, October 5, 1964
Mrs. Mary Butler
BARNESVILLE — Serivces for Mrs. Mary Thelma Butler, 61,of Johnson's Ridge, Route 3 will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday (EST) at St. Mary's Catholic church at Temperanceville with Father Donald Schwendeman officiating. Burial will be in the
church cemetery.
Mrs. Butler was killed at 11 a.m. Saturday in an automobile-truck collision on Ohio 147 three miles east of here, it was reported by the Highway Patrol.
Mrs. Butler was a passenger in a car driven by her daughter, Mrs. Jeannett Hissom, 19, of Columbus which struck and overturned a truck driven by James A. Thornburg, 19, of Barnesville, as it slowed to make a right turn into a private drive.
Mrs. Butler died of a fractured skull. Mrs. Hissom received multiple cuts about her face and body and her month old daughter, Denise, received cuts about the face. Both were taken to Barnesville Hospital for treatment.
Mrs. Butler was born Aug. 1 1903, in Temperanceville,
a daughter of Mrs. Rose Myers McGee of Barnesville and the
late Edward McGee and was member of St. Mary's Catholic
Church in Temperanceville and the Catholic Women's Club.
Surviving are her mother, her husband, Joseph; seven sons,John Butler of the home, Edward and Leon of Quaker City
Robert of Quaker City Route 4,Donald of Barnesville, William
of Barnesville Route 3 and Gerald of Belmont; five daughters, Mrs. Annabelle Howell of Barnesville Route 3, Mrs. Reta Orr and Mrs. Betty Willis ofBarnesville, Mrs. Patricia Hannahs of Reynoldsburg and Mrs. Jeannett Hissom
Columbus; 3 grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Gladys Watson
Barnesville and Mrs. William Robinson of Quaker City and
brother, Joseph McGee of Cleveland.
The body was taken to Campbell Funeral Home here where the Rosary will be recited at 7:30 today.

Re: Descendents of Charles Edward McGee (b. 1876 PA) and Rose Matilda Mayers McGee

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: McGee
Thank you very much for your help. It is that Ed McGee (Charles Edward McGee) that I am trying to tie in with my family. He was born in Venango County PA I think and his grandfather was my gggrandfather John McGee. Edward grew up in New Martinsbille WV where his father had followed the oil boom from PA to WV. Ed McGee had four daughters and a son, but perhaps the son never married. The daughters had many children who stayed in the Belmont area with names like Watson, Butler, Howell, Orr, Willis, Hannah, and others. I would very much like to contact some of these descendents to see if they know anything about Charles Edward McGee and his history.

Have you seen an obituary for Charles Edward McGee that gives any details of his background? Maybe these posts will find a descendent who into genealogy.

Thank you again

John McGee

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 7:10AM GMT
"Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994," Edward C. Mcgee, 1902

Name:Edward C. Mcgee
Event:Marriage
Event Place (Standardized):Belmont, Ohio, United States
Estimated Birth Year:1876
Birthplace:Clarion Co., PA
Father:John Mcgee
Mother:Mary Masters
Spouse:Rosa Mayer
Spouse's Age:22
Spouse's Estimated Birth Year:1880
Spouse's Birthplace:Pemteranceville, Ohio
Spouse's Father:Peter Mayer
Spouse's Mother:Mary Legler
Reference Number:p 185 no. 1969
Film Number:902150
Digital Folder Number:004017139
Image Number:00131

His residence: New martinsville, W VA
Rev. Daniel Coffee, minister performed the ceremony
NOTE: try church records for more info

children:
Thelma b. 10 Aug 1903
Gladius Ursula b. 17 Mar 1908
Margaret C., single, b. 4 Oct 1910, d. 17 Nov 1939, buried Quaker City, Ohio NOTE: check cemetery for more family

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Charles Edward McGee
Name:Charles Edward McGee
County:Belmont
State:Ohio
Birth Date:16 Aug 1876
Race:White
FHL Roll Number:1819745
Draft Board:3

Oil Driller for Belmont Drilling Company
next of kin: Rosa McGee

Ohio Obituary Index, 1830s-2009, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
about Charles Edward Mcgee

Name:Charles Edward Mcgee
Birth Date:abt 1877
Death Date:13 Feb 1948
Age at Death:71
Death Place:Temperanceville, Ohio
Spouse:Rose
Newspaper:Barnesville Enterprise, Barnesville, Ohio
Newspaper Date:19 Feb 1948
Newspaper Page:p. 10, col. 2
Years Indexed:1943-1964; 1966-1970; 1972-1973; 1975; 1977; 1996-2004 - partially completed
Newspaper Repository:Barnesville Hutton Memorial Library; Barnesville Hutton Memorial Library
Library Link:Order Copy

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: McGee
Thank you so much for the great information on the McGee family in Ohio. The last great piece of information I am looking for is a connection between Charles Edward McGee's father and my gggrandfather John McGee in PA. I am hoping that a descendent in the Belmont/Noble Counties area of Ohio will have some family information on this connection. My attempts to find a tie in Clarion County PA have been hampered by records fires so far.

How did you get this information so fast from Arizona:

John McGee

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: Mcgee
My great grandmother was Mary Thelma McGee (née butler)
My grandfather was her second oldest son Gerald who had 8 children, six sons and 2 daughters. I have 27 cousins, most of whom live in the tri state area.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 2:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2012 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: MvGee, Masters
Jennifer,

Hallelujah! You are exactly the family I am searching for.

My great grandfather was James McClellan (his mother was a McClellan) McGee b. Clarion County PA 1848. Next in his siblings line was John McGee b. Clarion County 1851. James McClellan McGee was in the oil business. I susect that his brother, John, followed the young oil business down to New Martinsville WV and was the father of Charles Edward McGee. Charles followed the oil business across the Ohio River to the Belmont/Nobles Counties and was the father of Mary Thelma McGee.

My search is to confirm that John, the brother of my great grandfather, IS the John that was Mary Thelma McGee's grandfather. I am relatively sure there is the conection. Unfortunately courthouse fires in Clarion County and lack of newspapers there have stopped my searches where John and Mary Masters were married and most of there children were born in the 1870s.

I am also curious as to what happened to "your" John McGee. Where did he die (I suspect in Ohio) and where are he and his wife buried? She is in the 1900 census in New Martinsville (under spelling McGhee I believe) with most of her children but no John.

Lots of questions. Too much family news. Please, please check with all those cousins to see if there is some family lore about your John McGee, his origins, and his death.

If you have not done so, please look at my family tree on Ancestry.com to see my suspected connection.

Thank you for responding to my plea.

Another: John McGee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions