Search for content in message boards

Gilbert

Gilbert

Donna (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilbert
I am looking for a Herman R. or Hiram R. Gilbert who was born in NY about 1796. Does anyone have him in any of their research? Thanks. I believe he is related to a Gilbert family that spent some time in Allegany county.

Hiram Gilbert

Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2001 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert
Donna--You asked about information on Herman or Hiram Gilbert born about 1796 in NY with relatives who were connected to Allegany Co., NY. My records indicate that there was a Hiram Gilbert born probably in Cambridge or White Creek NY before 1800. I have no record of what happened to him but I have fairly extensive data on his parents and other ancestors, as well as some on his siblings. Hiram's uncle Nathan and family moved from Otsego Co. NY to Allegany Co., NY in 1820. John Mallon

Re: Hiram Gilbert

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 1:53AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2002 6:40PM GMT
Hiram Gilbert, born 1797, born in Onandago Co, NY, married in 1817, Steuben CO, NY, to Sarah Smith, daughter of Peter Smith, she was born 1798 in NJ. They moved to Licking Co. Ohio and raised a family, This "Hiram & Sarah Gilbert" are my grt.grt.grt. grandparents. I have been seeking info on Hiram and Sarah's parents and siblings. Mother told me that three Gilbert brothers came to US at same time. Hiram's son Ezra Gilbert is of my lineage. If you have any more information , I'd appreciate an Email rockhoundgal@aol.com

Re: Hiram Gilbert

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2002 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert, Smith
Hiram Gilbert, born 1797, born in Onandago Co, NY, married in 1817, Steuben CO, NY, to Sarah Smith, daughter of Peter Smith, she was born 1798 in NJ. They moved to Licking Co. Ohio and raised a family, This "Hiram & Sarah Gilbert" are my grt.grt.grt. grandparents. I have been seeking info on Hiram and Sarah's parents and siblings. Mother told me that three Gilbert brothers came to US at same time. Hiram's son Ezra Gilbert is of my lineage. If you have any more information , I'd appreciate an Email rockhoundgal@aol.com

Re: Hiram GILBERT -- Looking for parents & siblings of David Hiram GILBERT b. circa 1804/1820 NY; d. 1869 NY; md Lydia Ellen BAKER

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2003 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert, Baker
Am looking for parents & siblings of David Hiram Gilbert, b. between 1804-1820 in New York state. Died 1869 in NY and married Lydia Ellen Baker. If you have any info on him, please contact me; jchips@qwest.net.

Re: Hiram GILBERT -- Looking for parents & siblings of David Hiram GILBERT b. circa 1804/1820 NY; d. 1869 NY; md Lydia Ellen BAKER

colleen (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2004 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT, WISNER, SIMMONDS
Hello,
These are not my relatives, but I thought someone might like to have the history for their records. It came from the:
"1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros", in Michigan.
Hope it helps someone.
Colleen

HIRAM A. GILBERT. This representative framer of Genesee Township, Genesee County, was born n Nunda Township, Allegany County, N.Y., January 25, 1827 and his parents were also New Yorkers, his father being born in Herkimer County, May 25, 1802. When eleven years of age Luther Gilvert removed with his parents to Cayuga, where he had his training and education and thence, went to Alleghany County where he carried on a farm until 1839 when he removed to Monroe County.

Luther Gilbert, the father of our subject, came to this county , in 1850, making his home on section 18, Genesee Township, and he is now living on the same section and in the house which he built the year after coming here. His first marriage which took place in 1825 united him the mother of our subject, Hannah Wisner, by name, who was born and reared in Cayuga County. To them were granted one daughter and four sons, who born the following names: Orin, Edwin, Horance, Hiram, and Jane.

Hiram Gilbert who is the eldest of this family remained with his father and mother until 1849 when he came to Michigan previous to his father’s removal hither and brought on hundred and sixty acres of land where he now resides in Genesee Township, Genesee County. Just previous to coming here he had been united in marriage in Monroe County, N.Y., with Josephine Simmonds.

Mrs. Hiram Gilbert is a native of Wayne County, N.Y., and she became the mother of two daughters and two sons, namely: Jessie, the wife of George Splain who is a traveling man and resides in Flint; Harvey died in 1869; Kittie and Edwin. When Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert came upon the farm there were only twenty-seven acres of it partially improved, but it is now in a fine condition and produces most excellent crops. It comprises one hundred and seventy acres of well improved land and a general farming business is there carried on.

He of whom we write is thoroughly in sympathy with the doctrines which are the teachings of the Republican party and throughout his life he has never, with one exception, voted for a Democrat, and he says that he heartily sorry for that exception. He has the honor of having held the office of Treasurer of the township for three years and is the only man who ever held that office longer than two years. He was also Constable for something over eight years and Highway Commissioner for three years, and in every instance he conducted the duties of these offices so as to win for himself the respect of his fellow-citizens and to advance the interest of the township.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions