Search for content in message boards

BROWN's at Fort Nashborough

BROWN's at Fort Nashborough

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, BRIDGES

My Richard BROWN was in Davidson County, Tennessee 1780's when Nashville was called "Fort Nashborough". He married Jane BRIDGES and had children: Rachel, Jane, Sarah, Richard, Joseph, Thomas, William, Terry B., & Moses BROWN. They left Tennessee and went to Iberville Parish, Louisiana about 1800, where Richard BROWN died there in 1825 and his wife Jane BRIDGES BROWN died Iberville Par. La. also in 1837. I am trying to find the parents of Richard BROWN.
If you had BROWN or BRIDGES in the "Fort Nashborough" area early 1780's please contact me.
Thanks,
Kay
kayn@webtv.net

Re: BROWN's at Fort Nashborough

PATSY CLYMER (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 6:05AM GMT
I HAVE AN OLD SCHOOL BOOK THAT HAS A JACOB BROWN IN IT. HE CAME FROM S.C. AND WENT TO WHERE ERWIN TN. IS NOW. THIS IS IN THE YEAR 1770.HE AND SEVERAL PROMINATE FAMILIES SETTLED ON THE NOLACHUCKY RIVER (WHERE ERWIN TN. IS NOW) AND STARTED A SETTLEMENT CALLED THE WATAUGA SETTLEMENT. THEN HE AND JAMES ROBERTSON , FAMILY & FRIENDS SETTLED AT THE CUMBERLAND SETTLEMENT BY 1779. THEY STARTED NASHBOROUGH FORT AND BEGAN TO BUILD NASHVILLE.

THIS AND MORE INFO. IS IN THIS BOOK:
DISCOVERING TENNESSEE
BY MARY U.ROTHROCK
KNOXVILLE,TN. SEPT.15,1951
IT ALSO HAS THE NAMES OF OTHER PEOPLE OF THAT TIME. HOPE THAT THIS HELPS YOU.

Posted: 26 Sep 2002 3:02PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 2:47PM GMT
Pat,
Does your book mention any Hatler's or Norris's. Jacob HAtler's daughter Hannah m Philip Hatler. Hannah's daughter Barbary Hatler m my Hugh Norris (b1789 in Greene county TN) in Barren county KY. in 1808. I'm unable to find Norris connection to Brown's and Hatler's in Greene county since Hugh was born there his parents must have known them to be in the same county in TN and KY. Any info appreciated.

Steve Schneider

Posted: 26 Sep 2002 3:04PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 2:47PM GMT
Pat,
Does your book mention any Hatler's or Norris's. Jacob Brown's daughter Hannah m Philip Hatler. Hannah's daughter Barbary Hatler m my Hugh Norris (b1789 in Greene county TN) in Barren county KY. in 1808. I'm unable to find Norris connection to Brown's and Hatler's in Greene county since Hugh was born there his parents must have known them to be in the same county in TN and KY. Any info appreciated.

Steve Schneider

PATSY CLYMER (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2002 6:12PM GMT
HI STEVE;

I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY HATLERS OR NORRIS IN THIS BOOK. HAVE YOU CHECKED THE CENSUS RECORDS FOR THESE COUNTIES? I WILL SEE WHAT I CAN FIND FOR YOU, IF ANYTHING. DO YOU KNOW WHERE THEY WERE BURIED? OR IF ANY OF THEM HAD A WILL. WILLS ARE ALOT OF HELP IN FINDING RELATIVES. WISH YOU LUCK PATSY.

patsy clymer (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2002 6:39PM GMT
HI STEVE;

I JUST NOTICED IN THIS BOOK THAT THE FIRST CENSUS WAS TAKEN HERE IN 1790. SO MAYBE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND THE PEOPLE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. GOOD LUCK PATSY

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 11:01PM GMT
I am not a Brown researcher, but my Henry Turney was one of the 1780 settlers, along with others coming from the Holston River area of what became eastern TN (as did Mansker).
He was originally from the Shenandoah Valley of VA.

There is not 1790 census since the British burned it in Washington D.C. in the War of 1812 (also no 1800 or 1810). There is a reconstructed 1790 census you might check.

You do know that there was a Brown's Station?

Other early Davidson county records on Brown:

1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
compiled by Richard Carlton Fulcher
(there are mistakes in this, but still a good source, he did not realize for instance that there were 2 Henry Turneys)
page 12-13
BROWN, _____ - referred to as "son of Mrs. Brown," was killed by Indians near Nashville.
BROWN, ______ - referred to as "son of John Brown," was killed by Indians in 1788, during an attack on Brown's Station, located on the west fork of Mill Creek.
BROWN, Daniel - son of Thomas Brown, mentioned in his father's estate division in 1795
BROWN, George - legatee of James Brown
BROWN, James - (heirs of) sold land in 1789, on Cedar Creek on the south side of the Cumberland River (Sumner Co. at the time, then Wilson County.). An estate division for a James Brown, deceased, was filed in Davidson Co. in 1797. Joseph Brown and George Brown were legatees of the estate. James Brown's military grant #1065, for 640 acres, was sold to William Brown for the "express purpose of redeeming his mother and brothers and sister out of Creek and Cherokee Indian (captivity) for the sum of (20 or 70)? pounds Virginia currency." Milly Brown, who purchased land in 1789, on Cedar Creek, was an heir of James Brown
BROWN, Mrs. James (Jane) - survivor of an Indian massacre
Brown, John - was sued by Humphrey Hogan for the recovery of a kettle, before the Committee of the Cumberland Association, Mar. 4, 1783. North Carolina land grant, April 17, 1786, on the south side of the Cumberland River. A son of John Brown was killed by Indians in 1788, during an attack on Brown's Station, located on the west fork of Mill Creek. John Brown was killed by Indians near Holly Tree Gap, in what is now Williamson County, while locating a grant with Hugh Tenin and Grimes, both of whom were also killed. Accoring to one source, he left a wife ____ Erwin, and two children, and his widow afterwards married James Campbell.
BROWN, Joseph - son of James Brown
BROWN, Moses - killed by Indians near Brown's Station on Richland Creek in 1785.
BROWN, Thomas - 1787 Davidson Co. tax roll with 3 taxables. Division of estate in Davidson Co., Jan. 1795, lists share to each heir: Stephen Hopton; Joseph Dunam (married Mary Brown); Philip Pipkin (married Margaret Brown); Seth Hargrove; Thomas Brown; and Daniel Brown.
BROWN, William - 1787 Davidson Co. tax roll with 1 taxable. Wounded by Indians about 20 July 1789.

At this same time - 1780 - on the Watauga there was a group of Browns - many being at Battle of King's Mountain in Oct 1780. Would you be interested in them?

Mary

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 11:20PM GMT
I am not a Brown, but did a look-up on the name in early Ft Nashborough history....and the name Erwin jumped out at me.....

Brown, John.....A son of John Brown was killed by Indians in 1788, during an attack on Brown's Station, located on the west fork of Mill Creek....John Brown was killed by Indians near Holly Tree Gap, in what is now Williamson County, while locating a grant with Tenin and Grimmes....According to one source, he left a wife ____ ERWIN, and two children, and his widow afterwards married James Campbell.

so it seems there was an ERWIN family connected to the Browns of Ft Nashborough area.....maybe Erwin TN is named after them?

There was an Andrew ERVIN who arrived Ft Nashborough with the Donelson flotilla, April 24, 1780.

Mary

Patsy Clymer (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2002 4:03AM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2009 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: DONELSON, Gower, Stuart, Harrison, Haynie, Henry, Robertson, White, Turpin, Renfroe, Neely, Cotton, Lanier, Cain, Boyd, Durham, Rounsever, Blackmore, Gibson, Lucas, Drake, Stump, Wells, Eaton, Hutchings, Belew, Looney, Rogan, Givin, Cartwright, Jennings, Armstrong, Johns, Porter, Temple, Montgomery, Maxwell, Caffrey, Drake
THIS A LIST OF PEOPLE THAT CAME TO NASHVILLE ON APRIL 24TH 1880 WITH LIEUT. COL. JOHN DONELSON
WRITTEN IN THE "DIRECTORY OF NASHVILLE-DAVIDSON CO. HISTORICAL MARKERS:
A FLEET OF 40 BOATS:

RACHEL STOKLEY DONELSON
RACHEL DONELSON, 3 SISTERS
JOHN DONELSON JR. AND FAMILY
WILLIAM DONELSON
JACOB DONELSON
SEVERN DONELSON
SAMUEL DONELSON
ABEL GOWER, SR. AND WIFE
ABEL GOWER, JR.
NANCY GOWER
MR. STUART
REUBEN HARRISON
FRANK HAYNIE
THOMAS HENRY
CHARLOTTE ROBERTSON&FAMILY
JOHN WHITE
SOL.WHITE
SOL TURPIN
JOSEPH RENFROE & FAMILY
NOSES REFROE & FAMILY
ISAAC NEELY & FAMILY
JOHN COTTON & FAMILY
ISAAC LANIER & FAMILY
MARY HENRY & FAMILY
JAMES CAIN & FAMILY
JOHN BOYD& FAMILY
DANIEL DURHAM & FAMILY
M.ROUNSEVER & FAMILY
JOHN BLACKMORE
JOHN GIBSON
ANDREW LUCAS
SUSAN DRAKE
FREDERICK STUMP
ANN S. STUMP
FREDERICK STUMP,JR.
HAYDEN WELLS
AMOS EATON
THOMAS HUTCHINGS
BEN BELEW
PETER LOONEY **
HUGH ROGAN
DANIEL GIVIN
ANN ROBERTSON, 3 DAUGHTERS
WILLIAM CRUTCHFIELD & FAMILY
ROBERT CARTWRIGHT & FAMILY
JONATHAN JENNINGS & FAMILY
FRANCIS ARMSTRONG & FAMILY
JAMES JOHNS SR. & FAMILY
BENJAMIN PORTER & FAMILY
SOLOMON TEMPLE & FAMILY
JOHN MONTGOMERY & FAMILY
JESSE MAXWELL & FAMILY
JOHN CAFFREY & FAMILY
MARY PURNELL & FAMILY
JONATHAN DRAKE
BENJAMIN DRAKE
ERECTED BY WAUTAUGA CUMBERLAND SETTLERS ASSOCIATION
MARKER # 12-1
NOTICE: PETER LOONEY

Patsy Clymer (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2002 4:33AM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2009 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Robertson
THIS SAME BOOK STATED THAT JAMES ROBERTSON BROUGHT A LAND PARTY TO FT. NASHBOROUGH IN 1779-1780. IT DOES NOT GIVE THE DATES. BUT THIS IS WHEN THE BROWNS CAME TO FT.NASHBOROUGH. AND I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT HOW ERWIN TN. COULD HAVE BEEN NAMED. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions