Search for content in message boards

Mathias and Catherine Michels

Mathias and Catherine Michels

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Michels
Looking for info on Mathias and Catherine Michels, husband and wife. Mathias was born Abt. 1805 in Prussia and Catherine was born Abt. 1813 in Prussia and died August 11, 1896 in Oelwein, Fayette County, Iowa. They lived in Joliett Illinois before they came to Iowa. Some of their childrens names were Catherine, Andrew, Barbara, Mathew, Ann, John. Please E-mail me at jimndeb6@gte.net.

Re: Mathias and Catherine Michels

Laura Beth Smith (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2002 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Meyer, Michels, Heinen, Reuland from Bitburg, PR
I have a Susanna Michels, married Nicolas Meyer in Calenborn, near Bitburg. They have a connection to Oelwein.
Their grson, Hilary, came to Kenosha Co. The connection is thru Hilary's cousin, Joannes Peter Meyer, another grson. Would be glad to share more. Beth

Re: Mathias and Catherine Michels son John

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 5:53AM GMT
I have a John Michels b abt 1832 in Prussia, m Katherine Damge b abt 1842 in Belgium. John and Katherine had 7 children: Dominic, Margarett, Lena, Mary, William, Anna and Edward.
The 1880 census shows John, Katherine and the 7 children in Hazleton, Buchanan County, Iowa. Hazleton is about 2 miles south of Oelwein.
Does this John Michels sound like your John, son of Mathias?

Re: Mathias and Catherine Michel

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 9:59PM GMT
Jim,
Catherine and Mathias had 3 children John, Andreas, and Barbara before they left Prussia. They all moved to the Oelwein area of Iowa in 1869. Andrew's family is my line. He eventually homesteaded in Buffalo County SD. I have been in contact with the Werdel family that are descendants of Barbara.

Jim Resch (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2006 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Resch, Michels, Shomer
Hi Claudine,
I have been in touch with the Werdel family. I am related through John Michels, Andrew and Barbara's brother. I would be interested in any additional info on Mathias and Catherine Michels & family you might have. Thank You.

Claudine O'connor (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Michels, Werdel, Schmidt, Abernathy, Faust
Jim,
I assume you have received info from T. Werdel in CA. I am compiling that info with what I know of my line (Andrew). When I have it I would be glad to send it to you. Also, would like John's family's info. Particularily info about his son Mathias, or "Motts" on one census, just to verify that my "Mathies" is the son of Andrew, and not John's. Did all of John's family stay in Iowa and not venture to SD where Andrew's family and Barbara's families went in 1884? Thanks, Claudine

Jim Resch (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 7:16PM GMT
Surnames: Resch, Michels, Shomer
Claudine, I will gather my info on John's family. His son, Mathias, is my G.Grandfather. I will be able to clear up details on him. Thank you, ~ Jim

Posted: 23 Feb 2006 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Michels, McClain, Smorawski, Verdel, Lewis, Cady
Well this is so cool. I am researching this exact family. My husband's mother is descended from these Michels. Frank was her gr. grandfather. His daughter Anna, was her grandmother. I found these people in the census, and was only assuming that Frank belonged to John Michels, son of Mathias and Catherine. I don't have too much to contribute except for most descendants of Frank and Mary Smorawski Michels. I'd love to have more if you're willing to share. I live just minutes away from Fayette Co. Iowa and am planning a trip to research at the courthouse there. If you need anything looked up i'd be happy to help. you can contact me at corcoran@jtt.net
Thanks, Sharon Corcoran of Buchanan Co. Iowa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions