Search for content in message boards

Martha and Cora Biggs

Martha and Cora Biggs

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 5:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oder,Biggs,Rudaciller,Rudacille,
Hi,
My Great, great grandmother was Martha Belle Biggs. She had a sister Cora and the two of them went to live with their cousin Philip Rudaciller and his wife Mary Rudacill (who happended to be cousins). Martha's and Cora's mother was Mary Jane Oder married to John Biggs. Her parents were Smith and Rachel oder. Smith's parents were Joseph Oder and Nancy Moore. We don't know why the sisters went to live with Philip or what happend to their parents. Martha is listed living with Rachel Oder on the 1870's census. I would love to hear anything anyone might know about the Oder family! Also Martha and Cora are listed as Philip Rudaciller's cousins. We can not figure the link. Any help?!
Thank you-
Megan

Re: Martha and Cora Biggs

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 6:01AM GMT
Hi Megan,

I am a descendant of Smith Odor. I have researched information about most of his children. Smith and Rachel Odor had six identified children (and maybe a few more are lost in the records). Mary Jane Odor was the youngest, born in 1833, when Smith was almost 60 and Rachel in her late 40's. Mary Jane married John Biggs late in her life when she was 32. He was 38 and a widow. His first wife Susan (perhaps Green) and a son named Cumberland appeared with him in the 1860 census, but I can find no record of either one of them after that.

Mary Jane and John Biggs married August 22, 1865 in Rapp. Co. They had Cora about 1868 and Martha in March, 1870. (These birth dates are reversed in some records.) In the 1870 census John Biggs lived with a single man, a 52 year old carpenter, William Gladston. Mary Jane Odor Biggs was not with him and does not appear anywhere in that census. She never again appears in public records after 1870.

By 1870, Smith Odor had died. Rachel Odor moved in with her oldest daughter Rosaline Odor Partlow. Rosaline's husband had also died by that year. Mary Jane Odor Biggs' daughter Martha lived with Rosaline and Rachel. My guess is that Mary Jane died in childbirth, but it's only a guess.

By 1880, Rosaline and Rachel had died. I can find no record of John Biggs after the 1870 census. He appears to have had a rough life and he may have broken down. In three consecutive censuses his occupation is listed as Hotel keeper, private entertainer, and unemployed (1870). He was widowed twice by the time he was 43. Between 1870 and 1880, either he died or abandoned his children and left for parts unknown.

By 1880 Cora and Martha had moved in with Philip and Frances (Frannie) Rudasiller and they are listed in the census as cousins. Here's the connection. Mary Jane Odor's sister Rosaline Partlow Odor was 23 years older than Mary Jane and Rosaline married earlier in her life. She and Benjamin Partlow had five children. One of them was Frances Partlow, born in 1845. Frances was therefore a cousin to Mary Jane Odor's children, even though she was a generation older than they were.

Frances Partlow married Philp Rudasiller. They never had children of their own. When Cora and Martha Biggs were orphaned by the deaths or disappearances of almost all their direct relatives around 1870, Frances and Philip must have decided to take them in. Later census records reflect that they raised the two girls to adulthood and remained close to them all their lives.

Sorry for the length of this. The hints in the records about the story of John and Mary Jane Biggs were very interesting to me, so I researched this pretty hard a few years back. If you have additional information about them or their daughters, please let me know.

Ken

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 3:51PM GMT
Hi Ken,
Martha Belle Biggs(b.Feb. 28,1868) married Daniel Hampton Baggerly(b.Dec. 11, 1865)on Dec. 18, 1890. They had ten childeren. Their fourth oldest was my great grandmother Cora Mae Baggerly b.July 29,1895. She married Forrest Webster Manuel. They had three children. Daniel Webster Manuel their oldest was my grandfather.

Daniel Hampton Baggerly was the son of Rebecca Ann Rudaciller and John Wesley Baggerly. Rebecca Ann's brother was Philip Lovell Rudaciller who married Mary Frances Partlow. I have census records for Philip and Fanny starting in 1880-1930. I could never figure out who Fanny was. Or how Philip and her were cousins to the Biggs girls.

Your information is wonderful and really helps fill in the pieces. Thank you so much for the reply!
If I can help you with anything please let me know. I do have one picture of Martha Belle. I also have one of her sister Cora.

Megan~

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Oder,Biggs,Rudaciller,Rudacille,
Hi Ken,
It is Megan again. Would you happen to know Rachel Oder's maiden name?

Thanks so much!

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 4:26PM GMT
Hi Megan,

I have been unable to find any public record that reveals Rachel's maiden name. All I have is this: One of my great aunt's, Annie Odor, was the oldest daughter of one of Smith and Rachel Odor's grandsons, Thomas William Odor of Appomattox, Virginia. Annie wrote in a letter to my uncle that Thomas Odor always referred to his grandmother as "Miss Wray." There were no Wrays living in the Northern Virginia area during the late 1700's and early 1800's. Thomas Odor never wrote down the name and I think Annie guessed wrong about the spelling of it. Several Rea families lived in Northern Virginia at the turn of the century. Two Rea families owned lots in Little Washington at that time. Smith and Rachel lived in Little Washington on Lot 49, where he ran a wagon-making shop. I was unable to find any public record or family tree on-line from these families that contains a Rachel of the correct age, but these particular Rea's moved to Ohio between 1800 and 1810, right when Smith and Rachel married. My guess is the Rea's lost touch with Rachel when they moved and she fell out of their family history, but of course I don't know that for sure. That's the best I can do. If you find something that pins this down, please let me know.

If there is some way you can e-mail or mail to me a copy of the pictures of Cora and Martha Biggs, I would be very interested in seeing them and would greatly appreciate it. Stay in touch with anything you find and I will let you know if I make any breakthroughs.

Ken

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 6:15PM GMT
Hi Ken,
Thank you for the information. I will be sure to look into it. I have some more info. for you. You may already know most of this. Parents of our Smith Oder b.1775 Joseph Oder's b.1731 and Nancy Moore's b.1733 other son William Oder b.1771 married Elizabeth Childs b.1790. Their son Robert Oder b.1822 married Teressa Holmes b.1832. One of their sons Joseph Oder b.1859 married Mary V. Holmes b.1865 from Kentucky. Their daughter Lena Ruth married Carvell Baggerly who is the older brother to my great grandmother Cora Mae Baggerly. Cora Mae's and Carvell's parents are Martha Bell Biggs b.1868 and Daniel Hampton Baggerly b.1865. (Martha Belle's parents are John Biggs and Mary Jane Oder, grandparents Smith and Rachel Oder.)

Now another twist is Philip Lovell Rudaciller b.1841 married to Mary Frances Partlow b.1845 went to live with Lena Ruth and Carvell Baggerly late in his life after Mary Frances had died. Now if you remember from my other email Phillip Lovell Rudaciller's sister is Rebecca Ann Rudaciller b.1835 married to Jonh Wesley Baggerly b.1829. One of their sons being Daniel Hampton husband to Martha Belle Biggs.

I hope I have not confused you. I get pretty confused myself and have to write it all down. It is more of a family web than tree! I am attaching pictures of young and old Cora Biggs, and Mary V. Holmes and her daughter Lena Ruth Oder. I need to download my picture of Martha Belle. I will send that as soon as I do. Do you have any Oder pictures? Are you in the Virginia area?
Megan~
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 7:05PM GMT
Hi Ken,
Here is another picture. This is of Martha Belle (Biggs)Baggerly on the right and her mother-in-law Rebecca Ann (Rudaciller)Baggerly in the middle.

Megan~
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 4:40AM GMT
Megan,

Thank you so much for this information, these pictures, and the picture attached to the other message. The pictures are wonderful. They take you back there in time.

This is indeed a family web, rather than a tree. There may be more webbing to check out. Smith's brother William, whom you mention in this message, had six children by his first wife, Charlotte Stringfellow. The two oldest girls, Harriet and Susan, married Lawson and John Rudasiller in Culpeper County in the early 1800's. Maybe their descendants tie back into this group we are looking at.

I grew up in Virginia and my folks still live there, but I live in California. On my trips back home I have visited the courthouses and found lots of records about the Oders. I visited a cemetery at the Grove Baptist Church in Goldvein just off route 17 where Lena Ruth's father Joseph S. Oder and mother are buried. The graves of most of Lena's brothers and sisters are there, too, but I found no gravestone for her and her family. The Joseph Oder of the 1750's lived along Sumerduck Run, also very near Goldvein. I also visited Little Washington and saw the lot Smith Oder lived on. There is an old restored log cabin on that lot today. In Flint Hill, nearby, Robert Oder owned a wagonmaking shop. There is a cemetery behind a little church in that town with several Baggerly gravestones, but none that I could tie in with what I knew then. If you live in or near Virginia, this makes for an interesting genealogy-based trip. It's also beautiful country.

I have some pictures of my direct ancestors. One of Smith Oder's sons was Joseph Allen Odor. He moved to Appomattox in the 1850's. He had six sons. My great grandfather was the third one, Thomas William Odor. I'm not good at sending pictures via the internet, but I will get one of my daughters to help me when they drop by here next.

In the meantime if you haven't seen Cheryl Sears' website, you might want to take a look at http://www.geocities.com?csears1116/ That site has a detailed Oder family tree and a lot of family pictures, mostly of Missouri and Kansas cousins. Smith had an older brother, Thomas Oder. Most of the Oders in the pictures there are Thomas' descendants.

There is more I would like to exchange with you. Maybe we should move to e-mail to avoid cluttering this board. My e-mail address is kcoder9@aol.com.

Thanks again, Ken

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 8:26AM GMT
Hi Ken & Megan,
My name is Stacy Botts Martin and Martha Belle Biggs is my great grandmother. I hope you both still come to this site.My grandmothers name is Minnie Odessa Baggarly Botts. My family IS from Northern Virginia, Washington DC and Maryland areas which ties into your posting info. I have noticed changes in the spelling of Bagga(e)rly. My grandmother, Minnie, spelled it as BaggArly. I am trying to trace my Indian heritage. The picture that Megan posted if Cora looks very much like my grandmother, Minnie.
My questions are:
Was Martha Belle Biggs full-blood Blackfeet Indian?
Is Cora Mae Baggarly the same person as Cora Biggs?
Do you know why the last name is spelled with an "a" sometimes and other times with an "e"? Feel free to contact me at mrshappy0214@yahoo.com

Thanks for any info you have. I may also have some old pictures. I know I have one of Alice Margaret Baggarly and pictures of some people I don't know.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 6:14PM GMT
Hi Stacy,

My research revealed no Native American ancestry in this line. Martha Belle Biggs was the daughter of Mary Jane Odor and John Biggs. Mary Jane Odor has no Native American ancestry. Martha's father was John Biggs. His parents were farmers in Culpeper County. There was no indication in the records I found that he was part Native American either. Do you have any information that indicates otherwise?

I have seen Baggarly spelled both ways in the old records. I don't know the reason but my guess is the different spellings are caused by the fact that most people were illiterate in those days and did not know the correct spelling of their names. Court clerks had to spell the names by guesswork based on the sound of the name and different clerks often made different guesses. The clerk's guesses then were picked up by succeeding generations in a family when literacy became more commonplace and you sometimes ended up with different spellings within the same line. In my family line, I have seen Oder, Odor, and occasionally Odar in old records that refer to the same person.

I'm not sure who Cora Mae Baggerly is. Cora Biggs was Martha Belle Biggs' sister. She was referred to in some records as Cora Rachel Biggs. (Rachel Odor was her grandmother.) I found no record that she ever married a Baggerly or anyone else. Do you know who was Cora Mae Baggerly's father?

Hope this helps.

Ken
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions