Search for content in message boards

St. John's Evangelical Luthern Church

St. John's Evangelical Luthern Church

Posted: 21 Feb 2002 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2002 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: REIMER BRANDT ASCHENBRENNER MEINDL BRUSHABER
Does anyone know where I can find the microfilmed records from this church? It has been suggested that they are with the Trinity Ev. Church. They are not.
Rev. John Bading was minister there in the mid-late 1800's.
Location is 804 Vliet St.
Has anyone actually viewed these records?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Dawn

Re: St. John's Evangelical Luthern Church

Posted: 1 Mar 2002 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2003 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Dettmann, Kasten, Ehlke, Toepke, Wullschleger, Schaub
Hi, according to the "Guide to Genealogical Collections in the Milwaukee Metropolitan Area", records for St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church are part of the Milwaukee Micro Collection 70 at the Milwaukee Urban Archives at the UWM library. Most of these films are also available through the LDS Family History Center libraries. You might also try the the State Historical Society library in Madison.
Rich

Re: St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Posted: 8 Apr 2003 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: For Milwaukee: Neils, Geiger, Krause, Calibe, Russ, Schweke
Did you have success finding records for this church? I am hoping to find a church marriage record for my GG grandparents who were married in St. John's in 1878 (and I'm assuming it's this church).

Also, I don't know if you've done other Milwaukee church research, but I'm trying to find information on a Immanuel/Emmanuel lutheran congregation that was pastored by a Kuechle/Knechle. My gg grandfather's family attended there c. 1873.

Thanks a lot,

Jessica

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: REIMER, BRANDT, BRUESHABER, BECKER, ASCHENBRENNER
Jessica,
Some wonderful person emailed me with the FHL #'s--I have them "safely" tucked away--when I find them, I'll let you know.
In case this person sees this again--please help!
There are 2 Trinity churches in Milwaukee. One was the mother church to St. John's (what we want) and the other is Evangelical Trinity (E&R later to be UCC). The Trinity Lutheran is the difficult one to find. St. John's records are in it.
I'll keep searching my "files".
Regards,
Dawn

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Geiger, Rosenthal, Peterman, Luehring and Schweke
I live in Milwaukee and St. John's on Vliet Street has kept their own records. I'm unaware of any other source that has copies of the mid-1800 records.

You make reference to Trinity Lutheran as the mother church of St. John's, how would I find their records? I have Geiger, Rosenthals, Petermanns and Luehrings who either belonged or were married or buried out of St. Johns.

Thank you,

Pat McDonald
email: mickyd@wi.rr.com

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Geiger, Rosenthal, Peterman, Luehring and Schweke
I live in Milwaukee and St. John's on Vliet Street has kept their own records. I'm unaware of any other source that has copies of the mid-1800 records.

You make reference to Trinity Lutheran as the mother church of St. John's, how would I find their records? I have Geiger, Rosenthals, Petermanns and Luehrings who either belonged or were married or buried out of St. Johns.

Thank you,

Pat McDonald
email: mickyd@wi.rr.com

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Becker, Brueshaber, Aschenbrenner, Reimer, Brandt
Pat,
The Trinity records are at UWM to be viewed. The records from St John's either are permanently lost or never were done. It is impossible to obtain them. A very interested group of us has been trying for quite a while to obtain digital copies of the records. The current pastor is protecting the records at all costs. So, very unfortunately for all of us, we are unable to trace our old German Milwaukee heritage with this church.

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 1:56AM GMT
If you've been dealing with Pastor Kevin Hastings I understand your difficulties. If you'll email me your email, I have some interesting insites that may help you.

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 3:57PM GMT
I had much difficulty trying to access the church records a couple of years ago, until I looked up the home phone number of Pastor Hastings. When I finally reached him, we were able to find a time we could meet at the church office to view the records. The church office is seldom open. I found Rev. Hastings to be quite agreeable to work with when I finally was able to contact him.
There are summaries of the records on the old, wide IBM computer sheets, but the original books are also available to search. The office had a copy machine for making copies. The church once had a very large membership and there are a lot of records to look through. It was interesting to run across records for the Best, Pabst and Pritzlaff families. To see the records, be patient and flexible.

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 4:16PM GMT
You've fared much better than I have. In the past he's refused to let me do any research. How recently was your research done?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions