Search for content in message boards

Queen Mary

Queen Mary

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 1:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Nov 2012 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Szüle, Sewell
Hello,

I am attempting to find any information on the Sewell family that immigrated to the USA on March 14, 1949, into New York City on the Queen Mary. I have found the record of that sail date with passenger names but this family is not listed. According to my relatives, their name was spelled Szüle in Hungary but I cannot find the records under that name either. Below is a letter with the families US name. The US government changed their name from Szüle to Sewell when then immigrated. Any ideas on where I can find information or records? Here is a link to the passenger ship record that is 56 pages long: http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=7488&pa...

Thank you!

Shane
Attachments:

Re: Queen Mary

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 2:52AM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2012 2:53AM GMT
Unless they were in a witness protection program, the US Govt did NOT change any names of immigrants. That is a persistent myth.

Where is the "below is a letter with the families US name".

You don't give much information..... names, birth dates, birth countries??

Did they become citizens? If so, send an email to the nearest National Archives branch where they settled and they might find those papers if you provide adequate information.

Family recollections are notorious for being inaccurate.

and by the way, a search on Szule on FamilySearch brings up alternate spellings like "Sewel" and "Sewal".

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:15AM GMT
Thanks for the message and suggestions. The children of the parent immigrants are all still living and are in their 70's, all US Citizens. The name change my grandmother told me about. She also said their first names where changed when they immigrated. She is notorious for getting things wrong but I know their name did change. I am just unsure why or how. The letter for some reason did not attach but it is now. It was written in the 1970's and spells the names as they currently are spelled.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:23AM GMT
Email the National Archives Branch in New York... they should be responsible for the naturalization records or will tell you where to search.

You should pursue this and get a copy of the original Declaration and the Petition.... and any other documents associated with the file. Tell them or send them the letter you have, and the application should answer lots of questions about this family, including information on how they entered the US.

The fee for them copying the original papers should be minimal, and you might also get to see a photograph attached to the papers as well. Both parents might have these applications..... so ask for both.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:26AM GMT
Thank you!

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
OK...

Nicholas Szule came into the US on August 11th, 1939 on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Assuming you have an Ancestry subscription:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=...

He was born about 1911 in Hungary.... in "bekes"...... his "Friend's Name" is Dr. Sevell. He arrived in NY from Rotterdam.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 3:37AM GMT
Yes he came for a brief visit prior to immigrating. He was a pastor and traveled often around the world. I have seen and added this record. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions