Search for content in message boards

Sawmills in the area around 1900

Sawmills in the area around 1900

Lynne Hamilton Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2004 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamilton, Delon
Does anyone have any information on the sawmills in the Hickman County area around 1900?

Re: Sawmills in the area around 1900

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 3:55AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2005 1:24PM GMT
McCaleb's I believe had a sawmill. My father is 83 and I ask him to name more to be sure open at turn of century.

April Conner Warden (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2005 4:09AM GMT
I know there was one on Barren Fork Creek, part of the mill can still be seen on the creek. Barren Fork Creek run along Locust Fork Rd.

maggie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2005 5:38PM GMT
There was a sawmill in Vernon, Tn. near Pinewood and Nunnelly during that time period. The Fox family would be able to give information, because they have lived in the area forever. There was also a sawmill in Centerville, located at the bottom of the West End hill near the old bridge. It was run by the Thornhills, I believe, during it's later days. It has long since closed. Hope this helps.

Lynne (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2005 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton, Delon, Collins, Abney, Ledbetter
Thanks Maggie!

maggie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2005 8:00PM GMT
The name of the people who owned and operated the sawmill @Centerville was Thornton, not Thornhill. I remember the wife of the man who ran it was a school teacher in the Hickman County School System. Maggie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions