Search for content in message boards

Montgomery's in N. Ireland

Montgomery's in N. Ireland

John Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Montgomery
I have been trying to build my family tree for some years now but can't get any further back than approx 1861, the marriage of my ggrandfather John who was the son of Charters Montgomery, it just seems that no documentary evidence exists apart from what I already have.Is there anyone out there who has a similar interest, either from N. Ireland or originating from N. Ireland so we can compare notes.

Montgomery's in Northern Ireland

Denise Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
In response to your querie about Montgomery's in Northern Ireland here's all I know of my family from the same area.
Robert Montgomery born ? married Mary Taylor 24/12/1846 Ballamore, Armagh. Their son Robert was born 1856, Trigadee, Bellamore, Armagh. He emegrated to New Zealand 1876. Married Elizabeth Storey, b 1863, Swanlimbar, Cavan, Ireland. They were married 13/7/1885 at Woodend, New
Zealand. He died 9/6/1938, Southbridge, New Zealand.

Montgomery's In Northern Ireland

Linda Coulter (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MONTGOMERY, STUART, STEWART, CALHOUN, KERR, MCCLAIN, DOWLING, DUNN, HOLLINGSWORTH
This is all that I have on Montgomery's in Northern Ireland, have serveral ideas but nothing concrete.
1. HUGH MONTGOMERY was born Abt. 1657 in Ulster, Donegal Co., Ireland. He married (1) JANE HAMILTON. He married (2) JANE EDGAR. He married (3) JANE PATRICK.
Notes for HUGH MONTGOMERY:
Hugh Montgomery was a Captain in the English/British Calvary, stationed in North Ireland in the late 1680's-1700's. Later, he was promoted to Major. In the book "Ireland in the Empire" 1688-1770, is an article that says that "Duke of Ormond, Lord Lt. over No. Ireland, for the Crown, immediately after the Parliament for 1703-1704 ended it's Session, left for London, but appointed for his absence, as Lords Justices Sir Richard Cox, Major General Thomas Earle and Hugh Montgomery, Earl of Mount Alexander. So in 1703, he was made an Earl and given the title of Earl of Mount Alexander.

Children of HUGH MONTGOMERY and JANE HAMILTON are:

i. CATHERINE MONTGOMERY, b. 1684, Near Convoy House, County Donegal, Ireland; d. 1760, Long Canes Creek in South Carolina.

ii. JAMES MONTGOMERY, b. 1690.

iii. THOMAS MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1700.

iv. JANE MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1700.

v. MARY MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1700; m. JAMES PATTERSON, Abt. 1732.

CATHERINE MONTGOMERY (HUGH) was born 1684 in Near Convoy House, County Donegal, Ireland, and died 1760 in Long Canes Creek in South Carolina. She married (1) ALEXANDER STUART 1705 in Ireland. She married (2) JAMES PATRICK CALHOUN 1713 in County Donnegal Ireland.

Children of CATHERINE MONTGOMERY and ALEXANDER STUART are:
3. i. ALEXANDER STUART, b. 1706, Ireland.

ii. MARY CATHERINE STEWART CALHOUN, b. 1713, Londonderry, Ireland; m. JOHN NOBLE.

Children of CATHERINE MONTGOMERY and JAMES CALHOUN are:

iii. JEAN3 CALHOUN.

iv. JAMES CALHOUN, b. 1716; m. SUSANNA LONG.

v. EZEKIEL CALHOUN, b. 1720; d. 1762; m. JANE EWING, 1742.

vi. WILLIAM CALHOUN, b. 1725.

vii. PATRICK CALHOUN, b. June 11, 1727; m. MARTHA CALDWELL.
Regards,
Linda

Montgomerys in N. ireland

John Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Lovely to hear from you and sorry for not replying sooner. It sounds as if you and I are in the same boat, plenty of fishing but no catching. Hopefully one day that elusive piece of information will appear. I seem to get plenty from the Montgomery Web site in USA but very little that I can tie up, also very little from home. I don't know if I ever mentioned it anywhere before, N. Ireland is a country of approx 1,500,000 people, the telephone book contains 830 Montgomery entries and I can only claim connection with four of them.

Montgomery's in N.I.

Denise Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Montgomery, Storey, Taylor, Ford
John, since I posted you my last response, I've received Robert Snrs marriage [to Mary Montgomery, widow, nee Taylor] certificate & it states his father was Samual Montgomery from Ballymore & Mary's father was Robert Taylor.
Hope this is of some help. They married 24 Dec 1846 in the Church of Tandragee.
Denise.

Re: Montgomery's in N. Ireland

Hilary Everitt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2002 3:59PM GMT
IGI Index states -:
Charters Montgomery born 17 May 1865 Gillistown, Ballyscullion Gr, Antrim, Ireland
son of John Montgomery and Annie Templeton Christened abt 13 Oct 1866 Grange Presby Ch, Ballyscullion Gr, Antrim, Ireland
John Montgomery married Annie Templeton abt 1863 Grange Presby Ch, Ballyscullion Gr, Antrim, Ireland
Anna (Annie)Templeton Christening 14 Feb 1843 Grange, Antrim, Ireland
Hope this helps some.
daughter of Archibald TEMPLETON and Elizabeth ?.
Archibald Templeton b Abt. 1817 Grange, Antrim, Ireland
married Elizabeth at Grange abt 1842 May have been married twice first wife may have been Olive RAINEY m an Archibald Templeton 11 Jan 1831 Grange, Antrim, Ireland

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions