Search for content in message boards

Ship Germanic

Ship Germanic

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 1:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rhyner
I am looking for info on the Ship Germanic. My ancestors came over in 1864. The only Germanic I have found was built in 1874. Does anyone know of an earlier one that was built. Immigrants were originally from Switzerland and immigrated from Hamburg.

Re: Ship Germanic

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 3:46PM GMT
Are you sure that is the name of the ship. If you found the manifest at Ancestry.com, they seem to have mistranscibed most of the manifests for the SS Germania as Germanic.

You might want to look at the first page of the manifest where the ship's name is written out. There are over 2,000 occasions in 1864 alone of Ancestry showing the name GERMANIC in its purported record, while the actual manifest shows GERMANIA.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:32PM GMT
Thanks for the info. Yes, that is where I got my info was Ancestry. I will double ck.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:37PM GMT
I just double checked and that is what happened. It was supposed to be the Ste. Germania. Thanks for the input :)

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:48PM GMT
Check again. I have seen a number of manifests in which the ship's name was abbreviared as either Str Germania or Ste Germania. Both refer to the STEAMER GERMANIA.

Here is a picture of the ship.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wilsweik/a...

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 2:32PM GMT
Thanks for your help. That's what I was looking for was a photo of the ship. I did find a nice page with all the ship info on it. I like to include pictures when ever possible.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:57AM GMT
I hope the attached picture of the Germania comes through.
Greetings from the Netherlands,
Irma
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 6:33AM GMT
Just a heads up, there were two Germanics, its been a long time since I read up on all of it however, my family too came over on the Germanic in 1864, I spent a lot of time to verify my findings - I do recall the second one was commissioned abt 1874, info on the first one was real hard to find - seems I recall it may have hit ground...

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 10:46PM GMT
I do not think there were two Germanics. Germanic was built in 1874 for the White Star Line. She was chartered by the American Steamship Company for 6 voyages in 1904 and then sold on to the Dominion Line in 1905 and renamed the Ottawa. In 1910 she was sold on again to Turkey and renamed the Gul Djemal. One ship being re-invented several times! Hard to chase.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions