Search for content in message boards

Needing some help!!!

Needing some help!!!

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother came to America from Poland when she was 17 (I believe) after WWII. She has given me info prior but I forgot most of it. I know my grandfather came from Canada and apparently went by two different names. (His birth dates are the same, but one has exact info as to who he married.)I'm trying to figure out what boat my grandmother took to get here. I know she came with her parents, but not sure how many siblings. I know her maiden name began with a G. I've tried to track her down through ellisisland.org, and so far haven't come up with anything. My grandfathers last name is LeBlanc. If there's anyone out there that can help me, that would be great! I will be getting some more info from my grandmother (at least as much as she can remember)

Re: Needing some help!!!

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 10:08PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2012 10:50PM GMT
Ashleigh,

If you want help, you have to provide more information. For starters, full name (first and last) of your grandparents. Where did your grandfather get born? Year of birth? Where did they settle in the US? What year and where did they get married?

Ellisisland.org index only goes to about 1924 or so and certainly not for entries after WW II.

Another way to approach this is to ask about naturalization applications, papers, etc. If you can find the applications, it will tell you information about where they were born and how and when they entered the US. Were they naturalized? If yes email the nearest National Archives branch to where they lived and ask if they can find the naturalization applications. There will be a small fee if they can find the papers and photocopy for you, no fee if they can't.

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 2:41AM GMT
I know if I need help I need to supply information. That's my problem. I don't have information! I know where my grandfather was born and what year. My concern isn't about him. It's about her. I don't know where they were married. I only know they were married here, in the US. I know when she was born. I don't know where her parents settled when they came here. I know nothing!!!!!!!!!!! This is why I wanted help. I don't have the money to spend on this search so I'm trying to go about this as free as possible. I'm not willing to spend money on getting papers that my grandmother could give me copies of, who by the way lives out of state and I don't get to talk to her as often as I used to so getting this information is hard for me.

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 1:00AM GMT
Info attached at no charge to you.... Merry Christmas

Robert
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 1:24AM GMT
Why is it that some people come to these boards... ask for help... and then will not give the info they do have. Their queries are most nebulous in nature with no specific names, places nor dates.

And then worse yet... when someone does try to help instead of thanking them they berate them. And when told they could obtain info from a pay source.... they say they won't pay anything!

Do these people think we get info free??!! Do they believe the time of us would be helpers and the info we give them is worthless!!?

One must wonder what possesses such folks to think this way!

Robert

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:45AM GMT
I hear you, Robert. I feel the same way when I spend considerable time helping people who either never respond or who do respond but not with those two little words all us helper long to hear.

In this case, the young genealogist is probably a college student to young adult and may be on vacation without internet access.

As a tip for others: there will be people who will be glad to help and yeah not everyone has full subscriptions to Ancestry and etc all the time (I let mine lapse then renew after a few months when I'm ready for another researching burst). But that doesn't mean you can't do some of the research yourself anyway. Your library will likely have free Ancestry access on their computers (some even give it to your computer via wifi if you're there in person). So do NARA archives and Family History Libraries. Unless you're in a very isolated place, there is probably one or more of the above within an easy car or bus ride from you.

Also, if you're lucky enough to have older relatives who have the papers, for God's sake, ask them! Don't let this chance slip away. Take notes next time you talk. Ask for photocopies. Go make the photocopies next time you visit (you can also copy with a digital camera). Or Skype if grandma has a computer with a camera and take screenshots (and more notes). Write letters, call, email, whatever works. Tell your relatives stories about your life and ask for theirs.

Why is it easier to ask total strangers to do research for you with very little info to go on than it is to ask your own grandma for information she already knows? (and she may love that you care enough to ask)

Cyndi

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 8:52AM GMT
Cyndi

This incident goes beyond that... I actually got a nasty reply from this person. College student/young adult or not courtesy is courtesy. If I get out of line I appologize and if someone gives help I give them a big thank you. If someone is not willing to give the very least of information, then how can they expect to get any help?

Robert

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:15PM GMT
What the hell??? A nasty reply?? For spending time finding and uploading a document? Even if it was the wrong one, you still spent the time. I could only go on what was on this forum and all I saw was dead silence after your upload. (meaning if there was a reply here, it was deleted before I saw it).

Shaking my head at how some people act (and I agree, that one has nothing to do with age).

Sorry this happened to you.

Cyndi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic