Search for content in message boards

Name too Americanized to find

Name too Americanized to find

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 1:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I am trying to help a friend find his grandfather. The earliest record I can locate for Louis Gosule is the 1910 census. He first son was three and born in MA so I think he emigrated about 1905 -1907. His naturalization record has that same spelling with his birthplace as Litzine Russia. Later census records has his pob as Latvia, so I think he was born in Litzin, now Latvia, then Russia. Family lore says Russia. I cannot find him on any passenger list with that spelling or anything close. Can someone familiar with Jewish genealogy guess what his non anglicized name could be? Is there a census or resident list for Litzin Russis (Latvia)? Thank you.

Re: Name too Americanized to find

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT
Have you tried to get a copy of his naturalization records?

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 8:54PM GMT
try stevemorse.org for emigration

also log into jewishgen.org for expert help

do you know if he came through ellis or Boston?(castle island)

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 8:55PM GMT
It's available on line. It shows his Americanized name. I have since found his wife's maiden name of Berkowitz. This is my first stab at Jewish/Eastern European genealogy but I am guessing that Berkowitz isn't a localized name, so probably won't be of much help.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 8:58PM GMT
I am using JewishGen now. Still working through those records. I haven't heard of stevenmorse.org--will take a look at that. Family lore has him arriving at Ellis Island and his naturalization papers confirm that he arrived in NY but no luck with NY passenger lists. Thank you for the tip.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 26 Jun 2013 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Gassul
This could be your man:

Leib Gassul, arrived 11 May 1904 on the ship Rotterdam. Occupation: tinner. Last residence Kowno, which matches info on Louis' naturalization record.

Ancestry has the manifest image; he is on line 21.

Also look at records on the JewishGen Ludza/Lutzin KehilaLinks page (http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Ludza/index.html); a list of burials there has two entries for people with the "Gasul" surname.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 9:20PM GMT
Mitch-I saw that too! You think he's my guy? I know when immigrant Peitros came, they were immediately Pete, when Guissipes came, they were immidiately Joe--was it the same for Leib to become Louis?

I will check out the link you suggested.
Thank you for your help,
Maryann

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2013 11:10PM GMT
Leib is not automatically Louis, but I've seen other instances of this change.

It's not absolutely proven, but there's some strong evidence that this is the correct man - same ship, arrival month and year, occupation, and last residence on both the manifest and the naturalization petition. Age is approximately correct too.

If someone can find a photo of Louis' headstone, it might prove that Louis = Leib (as with luck, his Hebrew name will be on the stone).

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 2:26AM GMT
Thanks Mitch. Is it practice to put the Hebrew name on a headstone? Do you think it would be worth it to go to the cemetery to check it out? It does sound like this is the guy. You're right--age, arrival date, occupation, last residence etc. Thank you for your input and expertise.
Maryann

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:57AM GMT
Maryann,

It's a common practice, but by no means universal, to put a person's Hebrew/Yiddish name on the tombstone.

Another note - a stone may have the Hebrew or Yiddish version of a name (or both). "Leib" is Yiddish; the Hebrew equivalent is "Aryeh". Both mean "lion". It would be worth checking this out.

Mitch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic