Search for content in message boards

WHAT'S IN A NAME? Seeking HELP in my research!!

WHAT'S IN A NAME? Seeking HELP in my research!!

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hogan/Kleeve/Swanson
I am researching my GG and GGG grandfathers from Norway. However there have been 2 different last names that have popped up on documents for my GGGGrandfather. My GGrandfather, Louis W. Hogan Louis was born in Bergen, Norway 18 May, 1850. He immigrated in 1869 to Wisconsin. On 29 Feb 1880 he married Nicolene Anderson in Crawford County, Seneca, Wisconsin. On the marriage certificate Louis Hogan's father and mother are listed as Hogan Swanson and Sarah Swanson both born in 1828 in Norway. It is not known if they too are are from Bergen or if the immigrated with Loius. On Louis W. Hogan's death certificate his father is listed as Haaken Kleeve and his mother Sarah -----, no maiden name given. Loius died 8 May, 1910 in La Crosse, Wisconsin where he is buried. I am so confused. Can anyone help me understand what these last names mean or how Hogan became my last name??? I am desperately looking to find out more on my mysterious GGGGrandfather.

Thankyou in advance!

Tina Hogan

Louis/Lars Hogan/Haagen(sen) Swanson/Svendsen from Voss, Hordaland

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 5:10PM GMT
You did a nice job of doing your Wisconsin research work, getting some other facts, parents probable names, etc. It certainly is confusing. I've been working on Norwegian genealogy (obsessively?) for 10 years, and this is what I recommend:

There is a good article on Norwegian naming traditions on this website. The tradition seems complicated, but it sometimes helps in a genealogy search once you understand it, if you can believe that!

Norwegian naming practices
by John Føllesdal

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na12.html

To add to the confusion, there are spelling variations, vowel and consonant changes, that have obviously happened in your family.

The Hogan in your family most likely came from the first name which can be spelled Haagen, Hågen, Haakon, Håkon, Haagon, Hågon. K and G have a similar pronunciation, and the Norwegian alphabet letter å sounds like the long o in boat or toast, and is also spelled aa, sometimes o. Add to that coming to America, and "Americanizing" the spelling and the name, and you end up with Hogan.

Ready for more? Louis was probably really Lars in Norway. sometimes the immigrants "Americanized" their names, sometimes it was done by their employers, coworkers, census takers who didn't know Norwegian, or other government entities on paperwork.

Using those clues that you have, and knowing that Sarah is also not really a Norwegian name, but assuming the mother's name started with an S, I find this very good candidate who certainly must have LEFT from the port of Bergen, but was really from Voss parish nearby. Found on the familysearch.org website, it shows the baptism date.

Lars Haagensen, male, baptised July 14, 1850 in Voss parish, Hordaland county, Norway. (not far from Bergen)
Father Haagen Svendsen, mother Sigrid Brynnildsdatter.

Here is the same family on the 1865 census, when Lars was 15 years old or so, and only about 4 years before your information says he left Norway. They are tenants on the farm Opqvitne, renting from the owner, whose family is listed first.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&...

Data on domicile:

Census year: 1865
Municipality: Voss
Municipality number: 1235
Name of domicile: Opqvitne
Number of persons in this domicile: 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity

Farm Owner's family:
Svend Knudsen ug Gaardbr og Selveier 1844 Vos Prgj.
Mattias Knudsen hans Broder ug 1852 Vos Prgj.
Martha Størksdatter ug Tjenestepige 1839 Vos Prgj.
Niels Størksen Inderst ug Dagleier 1840 Vos Prgj.
Segvor Mattiasdatter g Føderaadskone 1814 Vos Prgj.
Kari Olsdatter hindes Datter ug 1858 Vos Prgj.

Your family:
Haakond Svendsen Husfd g Forpagter 1819 Vos Prgj.
Sigri Brynildsdatter hans Kone g 1824 Vos Prgj.
Lars Haakondsen deres Søn ug 1850 Vos Prgj.
Bryngel Haakondsen deres Søn ug 1853 Vos Prgj.
Svend Haakondsen deres Søn ug 1861 Vos Prgj.
Ivar Haakundsen deres Søn ug 1865 Vos Prgj.
Synneva Haakonsdatter deres Datter ug 1856 Vos Prgj.
Anna Haakonsdatter deres Datter ug 1858

They are living with another family, perhaps in a separate house, on the farm called Opqvitne in Voss parish. (maybe now spelled Opkvitne, since q and k were interchangeable)

The father is a forpagter (forpakter) which means tenant, so at that time, they did not own any farm, which meant that of course, if Lars really wanted a future, he had no hope of inheriting a farm, even as the oldest son traditionally could. So he went to Wisconsin I imagine.

One of the biggest proponents of emigration, Minnesota's Senator Knute Nelson was from Voss, so there was quite a bit of encouragement for emigrants to leave Voss, knowing that Knute Nelson had become so successful in the United States. By 1869, the Civil War was over, and Lincoln had earlier signed the Homestead act, which gave free land to anyone who could live on it and improve it for 5 years, so there was a good chance Lars had heard about these opportunities over and over again in Voss.

I can't seem to find the online materials for Voss that would show the exact birthdate of Lars Haagensen. I'll keep checking.

He emigrated too early to be on the Emigrant registers that are on the Digital Archives out of the University of Bergen, but I think I have found him on the Solem and Swiggum ship index.

If you would like to see the website:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/

But the page Lars Haagensen is listed on is here:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=845

It appears that he may have emigrated with another family from Voss, as their employee/servant. The age is good, name is good, home parish of Voss for the people he's traveling with matches. He's traveling with the Vinje (Winje in the USA) family, from the farm Winje Nedre, (Lower Winje) in Voss. They are of the Quaker religion, according to the census of 1865, dissenters from the Norwegian State Church. It doesn't seem that they are related to Lars, maybe it was a way for him to pay his way across to America. Here is the family with Lars Haagensen listed last as a servant.

23 Mons Knudsen Vinje 38 m Residence Røldals Prgj. 1865 Voss census - name Winje nedre - household all listed as Desinter Kvæker (Quaker)
24 Ingeborg Vinje* 47 f wife - Residence Voss Prgj. 1865 Voss census - Davidsdatter
25 Tosten Monsen* Vinje* 21 m son - Residence Voss Prgj. 1865 Voss census - Thorsten Johannesen
26 Knud Monsen* Vinje* 16 m son - Residence Voss Prgj. 1865 Voss census - Knud Johannesen age 14
27 Gurie Monsdatter* Vinje* 12 f daughter - Residence Voss Prgj. 1865 Voss census - Guri Johannesdatter age 11
28 Aad Monsen* Vinje* 12 m son - Residence Voss Prgj. 1865 Voss census - Aad Johannesen age 9
29 Inger Monsdatter* Vinje* 3½ f daughter - Residence
30 Lars Haagensen 20 m servant - Residence

the ship
Passenger list 1869 - ship Heros
Captain: Tønnes Olsen
Departure: Stavanger May 3
Arrival: Quebec June 1

Quebec arrivals were common for people who were going to Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, etc.

There may be a Quebec information site online, for their arrival lists, but I don't know the website. I've only seen someone refer to it in their query replies.

But this does tell me that the whole family of Lars Haagensen did not emigrate with him.

There are some resources for Voss - and lookups volunteers.

some books and lookups volunteers are shown on this website, go to the Hordaland section and look for Voss in bold faced print.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/lookups.html

another website with Voss sources listed where you can also email someone who owns those sources, is

http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/lookups.html

the Vossa Boki is the collection of farm and family history volumes for Voss. The challenge for you is that the books are organized by farm name, not people name, so the only farm name I can give you is the one where they were living on the census of 1865, Opqvitne.

Voss parish is not the same as Vossastrand parish, so don't confuse their resources.

Finally, here are your Lars (Louis) and Lena (Nicoline) on the 1880 census, his age is right, she is quite young!

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

13153 Lars Hogan m 30 f N N N 167 Wauzeka Crawford Co.
13154 Lena Hogan f 18 N N N 167 Wauzeka Crawford Co.

Lena (nickname for Nicolene) was also born in Norway. Maybe you know more about her though. It is possible the census taker was non-Norwegian speaking, and just wrote it for what it sounded like to him.

Lars should be on the 1870 census in Wisconsin. Try searching for first name Lars, and second name beginning with H. The Winje/Vinje family might be close by. But WHO KNOWS what spelling or last name they are using???? :)

Good luck with your search, ask me if you need any help.
Taryn

Re: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Seeking HELP in my research!!

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 7:10PM GMT
I hope you have had time to read and digest the information that I gave you about the origins of Louis Hogan, as I see them.

I do have another piece of information that might help verify, and continue the search.

Here is what you wrote:

On Louis W. Hogan's death certificate his father is listed as Haaken Kleeve and his mother Sarah -----,

There IS a farm at Voss with the name Klevene. So I think the Kleeve name on Louis/Lars's death certificate for his father was the farm name where Haaken Svendsen came from. That, you will see in the naming practices article.

So when asked for a possible farm name for the search, give Klevene or the Kleeve name you had. It might be a BIG clue.

There is also Kløve, which might sound like Kleeve. It is possible to look there too in the Farm and family history book. The letter ø could be misheard in the USA to sound like ee.

There are some Bryngelsons that lived at Kløve farm, maybe that is where the mother of Lars came from.

I hope those clues all add up to being able to trace this family.

You could post your clues and some of my ideas on the Hordaland query page, using Voss in the subject line.

Taryn

Re: Louis/Lars Hogan/Haagen(sen) Swanson/Svendsen from Voss, Hordaland

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 7:53PM GMT
The 1875 census is also online, just 6 years after Lars Haagensen left Norway.

To check in on the family members on the census:

Most seem to be living there in 1875, except Lars, who I believe was in Wisconsin by then, and Bryngel, who I found elsewhere in Voss, working as a hired hand.

They are still at the place Opkvitne, but on a tenant farm that has been divided out called Opkvitneshaugen. A subfarm of the main farm Opkvitne. Haugen means hillside, so maybe the Hogan name came from that? Two possible sources for Lars to use.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&...

Data on domicile:

Census year: 1875
Name of domicile: Opkvitneshaugen
Number of persons in this domicile: 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity
Haakon Svendsen hf g Husmand med Jord 1819 Vangens Sogn Voss
Sigri Bryngelsdatter Kone g 1825 Vangens Sogn Voss
Svend Haakensen s ug 1862 Vangens Sogn Voss
Ivar Haakonsen s ug 1865 Vangens Sogn Voss
Sønneva Haakensdatter d ug Hjelper Forældrene 1854 Vangens Sogn Voss
Anna Haakensdatter d ug Hjelper Forældrene 1858 Vangens Sogn Voss
Kari Haakensdatter d ug 1872 Vangens Sogn Voss

The youngest child is only 3 years old or so. Sigri must have had her at age 47.

The brother Bryngel is a hired hand at this place in Voss.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&...

Census year: 1875
Name of domicile: Næsheim
Number of persons in this domicile: 9

Nils Steffensen hf f Gaardbr. Selveier 1823 Vangens S. V.
Ingebjørg Nilsdatter d ug Hjelper Faderen 1860 Vangens S. V.
Martha Sjursdatter tj ug Budeie 1847 Vangens S. V.
Amund Steffensen Løskarl ug Gaardsarbeider 1835 Vangens S. V.
Bryngel Haakonsen tj g Tjenestekarl 1853 Vangens S. V.
Kristi Eriksdatter Kone g 1852 Vangens S. V.
Lars Bryngelsen s ug 1875 Vangens S. V.
Gudve Bryngelsdatter d ug 1873 Vangens S. V.
Katharine Knudsdatter Inderst e Spindning og Strikning 1815 Aurland

This census information seems to indicate that while the main parish is Voss, their local church itself is called Vangen.

I think also, that on other records, the farm name Opkvitne is really upper Kvitne, or Kvitne øvre in Norwegian. so that is another farm name to try in the search. I think it is farm number 213. with some subfarms under the mainfarm.

There is an Upper Kvitne and Lower Kvitne. According to their location on the mountain relative to each other, usually.

You must still have relatives somewhere over there, (if my Lars Haagensen is Louis Hogan theory is right) since the other siblings seemed to have stayed. The brother Svend, born about 1861 is on the 1900 census, still in Voss.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&...

Census year: 1900
Name of domicile: Palmefossen
Number of persons in this domicile: 9

Svend Haakonsen hf g Landhandler 1861 Voss SB
Marta Halgersdatter hm g Husligt arbeide 1865 Voss SB
Hans Svendsen s ug Søn 1886 Voss SB
Martina Svendsdatter d ug Datter 1896 Voss SB

But other siblings of Lars seemed to have emigrated. Sister Anna, brother Bryngel and his family.

Anna:

12252 Bergen 2122 1882 Mai 19 Anna Haakonsdatr Opkvitne f ugift 1859 23 Voss Voss Tjenestepige Cunard Linie

Leaving Bergen May 19, 1882, Anna Haakonsdatter, from Opkvitne farm, female, unmarried, born 1859, age 23, born Voss, leaving from Voss, hired girl on the Cunard Line.

The brother Bryngel, name variation spelled Brynt

Lars's brother:
14612 Bergen 1394 1883 Mai 11 Brynjulf Haakonsen Opkvitne m gift 1853 30 Voss Voss prp Husmand Guion Linie
Brynjulf's wife:
14616 Bergen 1398 1883 Mai 11 Kristi Eriksdatr Opkvitne f 1853 30 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Kone Guion Linie

The kids: 2 sets of twins.
14613 Bergen 1395 1883 Mai 11 Lars Brynjulfsen Opkvitne m 1876 7 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Børn Guion Linie

14614 Bergen 1396 1883 Mai 11 Erik Brynjulfsen Opkvitne m 1876 7 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Børn Guion Linie

14615 Bergen 1397 1883 Mai 11 Guri Brynjulfsdatr Opkvitne f 1880 3/4 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Børn Guion Linie

The last two kids:

14617 Bergen 1399 1883 Mai 11 Gudve Brynjelfsdatr Opkvitne f 1874 9 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Børn Guion Linie

14618 Bergen 1400 1883 Mai 11 Sigrid Brynjulfsdatr Opkvitne f 1874 9 Voss Voss prp No 1394's Børn Guion Linie

Bryngel is listed first, his wife, the kids. Leaving Bergen May 11, 1883, Brynjulf, wife Kristi Eriksdatter, twin boys Lars and Erik, datter Guri, twin daughters Gudve and Sigrid. All having just left Opkvitne, in Voss. Brynjulf and his wife are both born 1853, age 30. Lars and Erik must be twins, both age 7 born 1876, daughter Guri born 1880. Twin sisters Gudve and Sigrid were born 1874 in Voss, age 9. They are on the Guion shipping line. It doesn't say where they were headed. Do they show up in any family lore? Old photos, Relatives, etc.

I wonder if they went to Wisconsin? Anna maybe did??

Good luck, hope these additional clues at least yield something later. Hold on to them. Time to start a file, or a notebook. Print everything out.
Taryn

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:10PM GMT
Here is the death record online for Lars's father:

2931 Voss A20 Year: 1855-1886, Page: 111, Serial number: 48, Buried :0806(June 8), Year: 1878, Naturlig Død (Natural death)
Role Position Given name Last name Residence Sex Age Dead
2932 Avdød Husmnd Haakon Svendsen Opkvitne Vangen m 59 Aar 0406

Died, Tenant farmer Haakon Svendsen Opkvitne farm in Vangen local church in Voss Main parish, male, age 59 years, died June 4, 1878.

Taryn

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:25PM GMT
It is odd that some of the children are using the name Olson with their parents Haugan on the 1900 census. However their 3 younger siblings are Haugan. The kids are the correct age to be those of Lars and Lena. In 1910 ALL of the children are using Hogan as well as the parents.

The 1910 census says that this is the 2nd marriage for Louis and Lena. I can't quite read what the immigration year is in 1910 but it is not 1869 - perhaps 1870 or 1872 though that is often not correct.

I think Taryn is on the right track with the names but I also think some digging needs to be done in Crawford and LaCrosse counties.

Stephanie

Re: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Seeking HELP in my research!!

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:30PM GMT
Taryn,

I don't even know how to begin. I am in shock, overwhelmed, excited, ecstatic. I don't even know how to thank you. Let me just say you are my hero. I have read the information you sent and oh how it makes so much more sense to me now. Everything seems to fit perfectly. Do you live in Norway? I would very much love to add you to my email adressbook if that would be ok with you? I have yet to finish reading the other posts but I will definitely get right back to you.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,
Tina Hogan

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:40PM GMT
Hi Stephanie,

The 1900 census you are referring to is that of Louis and his second wife also Lena/Olena L Chritiansen Olsen and her children from a previous marriage. The 3 additional children are hers and Louis together. The 1910 census Ole and Jennie Olson's last name was put as Hogan the rest are Louis and Olena's children. Thank you so much for your reply and help.....I so very much appreciate all the help I can get.

Sincerely,
Tina Hogan

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:49PM GMT
I have found the Vossboki (book of Voss family and farm history) online, but it is in Norwegian.

I found this tidbit about the brother of Lars, who had lived at Klyve (Kleeve?) farm before he came to American. Maybe they used that last name after they got here?

http://www.ullstad.com/vossaboki/klyve.htm

kom Brynjulv Håkonson Ukvitshaugen, g. 1874 m. Kristi Eiriksdr. Kytesgeilane, som reiste til Amerika.

Then came Brynjulf Håkonson Ukvitshaugen (Opkvitneshaugen)) married 1874 with Kristi Eiriksdatter Kytesgeilane, who emigrated to America.

Here is the page in the Vossiboka which mentions this family, at the almost very bottom of the page under Husmenn, (tenant farmers) Not very enlightening!

http://www.ullstad.com/vossaboki/ukvitno_i_reppen.htm

Håkon Sveinson f. ikr. 1819, g. 1848 med Sigrid Brynjulvsdr. Bulko. Dei hadde borni: Lars f. 1850, Brynjulv f. 1853, Svein f. 1861, Ivar f. 1865, Synneva f. 1856, Anna f. 1858, Kari f. 1872.

Håkon Sveinson, born about 1819, married 1848 with Sigrid Brynjulfdatter Bulko. They had children: Lars born 1850, Brynjulv born 1853, Svein born 1861, Ivar born 1865, Synneva born 1856, Anna born 1858, Kari born 1872.

That information was gleaned from the 1865 census, so we already had that.

Då dei flytte til Kvitno, kom Brynjulv Håkonson Ukvitshaugen, g. 1874 m. Kristi Eiriksdr. Kytesgeilane, som reiste til Amerika.

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 9:05PM GMT
Taryn,

Thank you so much. I am defintely printing everything out and I am looking forward to digging in to all of the information you have supplied me with. I will definitely be in touch.

Sincerely,
Tina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions