Search for content in message boards

George W Collins in Clinton County

George W Collins in Clinton County

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 3:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins, Hodson, McKay
I am having quite a bad time getting these Georges straightened out. My great grandfather was one of them, born in July 1859, married a Sallie Hodson. They lived out their time together in Wilmington, had one boy and one girl. The boy died at age eight of diabetes; the girl was my grandmother, who married a Ralph McKay.

The problem is that there are several men named George Collins in the area, and no fewer than 4 of them born within a year. Just to complicate things some, part of those 4 plus a couple of others share the middle initial 'W'.

There are a number of George W Collins' in/from Lawrence County, also, but I've been pretty well able to rule all but one of those out, and that one is fading fast...

I know it would help much if I could get there and do some concentrated legwork, but that is not on the forseeable calendar, I'm afraid.

If anyone knows how to shed any light on this subject, I'd be most happy to be enlightened. I'm open to most any idea/information.

Many thanks.
Susan McKay

Re: George W Collins in Clinton County

Posted: 26 Jun 2010 2:27AM GMT
I read your post twice, but can you please tell us how George Collins fits into the picture. Was he the man who married Sally?

Posted: 26 Jun 2010 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Collins, George

One of them did. My problem is figuring out which of the several persons named George Collins, all in the same time period and place, was the one who married Sallie Hodson, 19 Oct 1882. But prior to that time I cannot pin down which one he was, or who his parents were, since there are several George Collins' of about the same age in the vicinity.

So since I can't get out there to do the actual legwork I am currently hoping to at least rule out some of the "extras" and thereby narrow down the number of actual possibilities. The two most possibilities (as near as I can guess, but, oh boy, it's just a guess), is one born 1859, father John Collins. If anyone could for sure peg this fellow, even as a rule-out, it would be helpful. Another one born 1855 has been ruled out as he appears in the census same years as "my" George, but married to an Ina E.

So if anyone knows of anything that would point either to a specific George, or help rule a specific George out, I'd be evermore appreciative.

Many thanks
Susan McKay

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 1:25AM GMT
I have searched in several Ohio death record indicies and couldn't find him, found Sallie's but not his. So I went to the one online from the Ohio Historical Society and I see two George W. Collins listed. His death record is your best bet for a first try, because it could list his spouse's name and will list an informant's name where she, or one of the children's names can be found if they gave the information for the records. It also lists, if anyone knows them, the father and mother's name and place of birth.

I will give you the death info:

COLLINS, George W. Death date: 6/15/1930, Clinton County
Volume #6342, Certificate #39540

COLLINS, George W. Death date: 4/27/1931, Clinton County
Volume #6601, Certificate #27938

A phone call to the county department handling death records may give you a clerk who would be willing to look at both certificates and give you this information. Or you can order a non-legal copy of their death certificates from either the OHS or Clinton county if nobody will give you info by phone. OHS is very modestly priced. I've done that before and hit paydirt.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 3:24AM GMT
The two George's I listed don't appear likely candidates after I researched them further. I see your George and Sallie didn't always live in Clinton County. I see they lived in 1910 in Michigan. I also see that Sallie is a Widow in the 1930 census. Have you considered the possibility, even if your George is buried in Clinton County, he may have died in Michigan? I have found a George W. Collins, born in Ohio in 1842 in the 1922 Michigan death records.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 3:33AM GMT
I have Wilmington Collins married into my Camp and Garrison line. I'd be glad to keep an eye open for you and plan to be going to Wilmington later this summer to do some research. Do you know when he died? If he is buried in Wilmington? What cemetery? That would give me some tools.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 12:33PM GMT
Hello, My Grandfather George Collins was married to Eliza Garrison in 1866 in Clinton County.. My father Charles was the youngest of 12. There are Camps in my line also. We may have corresponded before. Are you related to this George Collins from Clinton County Ohio?

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 5:45PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Hodson, McKay
Many thanks for the help. More eyes/minds never hurt, and I'm pleased you took the time to check.

You are almost certainly correct that the two George Ws listed by the OGS are not likely candidates and about the Fayette County residence. By 1920 Sallie is listed living in Washington CH, as they seemed to do off and on through their marriage. She is listed at that time, though, as a widow, so the above-mentioned Georges are out of the running.

I will make note of everything I know (and a couple of things I don't exactly know) about George/Sallie:

George W (don't know middle name, only the W) was born 11 Jul 1859, per his daughter's (my grandmother) records.
Census over the years consistently records his birth in Ohio, as well as that of both his parents.
George and Sallie May/Marie Hodson (daughter of Edwin and Mary Jane Achor Collins) were married 19 Oct 1882 in Ohio (Family Search IGI, year collaborated by census). The Hodsons lived at Westboro seem to have been solidly Quaker up until a generation or so before Sallie was born, for what that may be worth.

Their children were Mary Jane, born 2 Aug 1893 in Unity Twp, Clinton County. (seems like a long gap between marriage and first child but no others were ever mentioned and I find no record of others; however, since Sallie's brother was a doctor it may be that miscarriages or stillbirths went unrecorded). I found Mary Jane's birth record under the name "Mary H Collins", with mother listed as "Sallie Hodem" and father correct; all other details coincide.

Their son Robert Hodson Collins was born 12 Dec 1899 at Wilmington; I have that birth record also. He died 19 Jun 1908, at the age of 8, while the family was vacationing in Michigan (per my grandmother), of diabetes. His death certificate I found in Michigan; it states that burial was 20 Jun 1908 in Wilmington, Ohio, without mention of the cemetery.

It does seem, though, that they may have moved to Michigan for a time, since the 1910 Census shows George as working at/for a general store there, in Shelby, Oceana County, Michigan.

The next time I can find them is 1920 at which time Sallie was in Washington CH, George gone. So far I haven't found a death record either in Michigan or Ohio.

Sallie died 19 Sep 1927 in Washington CH; I found the death certificate, signed by her brother, George S Hodson. She was buried in Wilmington, no specific cemetery mentioned. I have peered at all the cemetery listings I can find on the internet to no avail.

I have this, gleaned from a bit of charred paper culled from the ashes after my house burned to the ground in '85:
George W Collins, d 14 Feb 1911, and buried 14 Feb 1911 in Sugar Grove Cemetery in Clinton County. Now, why I had that or where I got it is lost in time. I cannot find supporting information now. I tried to find him listed there; the only George Collins I could find there was listed with a group of military veterans; however I find no clue that 'my' George was ever in the military. My grandmother never mentioned him being gone for any period of time.

Being as both Robert, and then Sallie, were buried in Clinton County, it seems likely that George was, also, but I have no hard evidence of that. My grandmother once said "Oh, they were all Baptist; all those old people were." but so far I've found no concrete reference to a church affiliation of any nature except for that of Sallie's forbears. My general sense of the family, gleaned from my grandmother, is that her father had chronic difficulty with employment; that she and her mother wished for more stability in their lives, and that the ill Robert was a huge drain emotionally on the family.

That's all I know (and don't know!) but am ever-hopeful of finding more.

Susan McKay, steaming in Maine

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 6:17PM GMT
Thanks. Sorry to have to ask you to go in-depth. However, I do go to Wilmington occasionally to visit with one of my mother's friends. I will be going to Sugar Creek Cemetery at that time, too. I have a great uncle who is buried there. He died supposedly right after the state required death certificates, but he has none. His grave and stone it there, but he is also not on cemetery records. Some people just slip through the cracks. How I got information on him was by going through the library's microfilmed newspaper archives. Bingo, an obit.

If I can make a note to myself to remember, and do any research there later this year checking for his obit and grave location would not be out of my way at all. I'd be glad to do it for you. You might want to give a call to the Clinton County Historical society. They were most helpful getting me a copy of my G'grandfather's obit so my Mother could find his grave and get a stone on it.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 9:18PM GMT
The following entries are supposed to be in the Clinton County Cemetery Book. I'm on the road and cannot look at the book in person to give you citation information. A call to the Clinton County Historical Society might be helpful. All of the following are in Sec 6 Lot 355
------------------------------------
Collins, George W. Sugar Grove/U Shelby Michigan, B. 7 17 1859 Clinton Co. OH, D. 2 14 1911, Bur. 2 17 1911 Sec 6 Lot 355, wife Sarah Hodson Collins (M. 2-12-1884); 2 children - son and daughter; kin J. E. Collins
Collins, Sallie M. Sugar Grove/U Indianapolis Indiana, B. 3 6 1859 Highland Co. OH, D. 9 19 1927, Bur. 9 21 1927 Sec 6 Lot 355, cerebral hemorrhage, kin E. A. Klever, Mary J. McKay (daughter)
Collins, Robert Hodson Sugar Grove/U Shelby Michigan, B. 12 12 1899 Wilmington OH, D. 6 19 1908, Bur. 6 20 1908 Sec 6 Lot 355, kin George W. Collins
Fisher, Lauranne Gevin Sugar Grove/U B. 3 22 1869 Economy Indiana, D. 3 14 1960, Bur. 3 16 1960 Sec 6 Lot 355, uremia, husband #1 John Dalton Hodson; son John Edwin Hodson
Hodson, Estella Sugar Grove/U B. Clinton Co. OH, D. Birmingham Alabama, Bur. Sec 6 Lot 355, kin J. D. Hodson
Hodson, Helen E. Sugar Grove/U Leesburg OH, B. 7 6 1895 Wilmington OH, D. 10 21 1915, Bur. 10 25 1915 Sec 6 Lot 355, kin J. D. Hodson
Babb, Kathryn Mozelle Sugar Grove/U B. 11 26 1910 Wilmington OH, D. 5 6 1988 Hillsboro OH, Bur. 5 10 1988 Sec 6 Lot 355, “Grandma Babb”, husband Siebert Babb; parents J. E. and Austie Cummings Hodson; daughter Mary (Paul) Levo of Hillsboro OH, FH Hope Miller of Hillsboro OH
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions