Search for content in message boards

Wheres the porter's from allen,ky

Wheres the porter's from allen,ky

judy porter (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2001 9:09PM GMT
would like to hear from the porters that are from allen,kentucky.fathers name:oliver porter,mothers name:louelln(lafferty)porter.

Oliver Porter of KY

Posted: 11 Apr 2001 11:49PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2006 6:51AM GMT
You might be connected to these Porters who were in Butler Co., Ky in early 1800's.

Ancestors of Oliver Cromwell PORTER

Generation No. 1

1. Oliver Cromwell PORTER, born 1787 in VA; died 1863 in KY. He was the son of 2. John Jr. PORTER and 3. Sarah "Sally" CLARK. He married (1) Jane "Jennie" BRACKEN February 20, 1809 in Sumner Co., TN. She was born 1790 in NC, and died 1860 in KY. He married (2) Rebecca DAVIS February 10, 1814.

Notes for Oliver Cromwell PORTER:
Oliver Cromwell Porter was quite a noted character during his lifetime. He was a man of fine sense, and good address. Was a great trader...amassed largely and lost heavily...so that at his death in 1863 or thereabouts his estate was insolvent. He built the first house in Cromwell (now Porter's Landing) KY, in 1835. Town name was supposedly changed to honor him.

Generation No. 2

2. John Jr. PORTER, born 1759 in Prince Edward Co., Virginia1; died September 28, 1833 in Butler Co., KY2. He was the son of John PORTER and Mary (Polly) ANTHONY. He married 3. Sarah "Sally" CLARK January 03, 1785 in Charlotte Co., VA.
3. Sarah "Sally" CLARK, born 1764 in Charlotte Co., VA; died June 12, 1832 in Butler Co., KY. Sarah was the child of John CLARK and Ann PAULETT.

Notes for John Jr. PORTER:
John Porter, Jr. served in the 5th VA Regiment of the Continental Line February 1776-77 commanded by Cols Scott & Parker, crossed the Delaware with Washington (26 Dec 1776), transferred along with step-brother Revolutionary Tommie CARSON to then Col. Daniel Morgan's Rifles in May/June 1777- fought at Freeman's Farm (19 Sept 1777); present at Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga (17 Oct 1777); at Valley Forge when enlistment ended Feb 1778; reenlisted 1780. Participated with brothers William, Nathaniel and Oliver in the 1781 Carolina Campaign of Gen Nathaniel Greene as part of Gen Morgan's division. Morgan had resigned in 1778, but rejoined in 1780 with promotion to meet crisis in the South after the defeat of Gen. Gates at Camden SC (16 Aug 1780). Campaign included: Cowpens (17 Jan), Guilford Court House ( 9 Feb), Seige of Ninty-Six (May-June), Eutaw Springs (8 Sept) and Yorktown (28 Sept-19Oct) and attaining the rank, I think of Colonel in the militia later -. Neither John PORTER, Jr or Revolutionary Tommie received military landgrants because they did not serve three contiguous years as the VA requirement came to be interpreted .

In the year 1796 or 97, he moved to Kentucky and settled in Butler then Logan County about ½ mile from his brother William, and about 1 mile from Sugar Grove, on the Little Muddy Creek. (That place is now owned by Mrs. Martha Sweatte). After reaching KY, John PORTER and his brothers were instrumental in naming the Butler County seat "Morgantown" for Gen Morgan. John PORTER, Jr. was elected to six terms as representative to the KY House of Representatives - first for Logan then Butler Counties. He served with the 66th Rgmt in the 1813 Thames Campaign under Gen. Harrison in which Tecumsah was killed during War of 1812. He was also, I think well off in goods, having a goodly number of slaves.

Children of John PORTER and Sarah CLARK are:
1 i. Oliver Cromwell PORTER, born 1787 in VA; died 1863 in KY; married (1) Jane "Jennie" BRACKEN February 20, 1809 in Sumner Co., TN; married (2) Rebecca DAVIS February 10, 1814.
ii. John William PORTER, born May 12, 1790; died October 15, 1846 in Porter's Prairie, Burleson Co., TX; married Susan W. EATON 1822 in Butler Co., KY; born July 14, 1801 in TN; died May 13, 1855 in Caldwell, Burleson Co., TX.
iii. Benjamin Clark PORTER, born 1795 in VA or KY; died Bef. 1860; married (1) Mary PROCTER; married (2) Elizabeth "Betsy" EWING; married (3) Matilda Jane WILSON June 29, 1824 in Butler Co., Kentucky; born 1804.

Notes for Benjamin Clark PORTER:
Ben's other wives were: Mary Proctor and Betsy Ewing. He married Matilda Wilson when he was 29 years old. It is not known the sequence of these marriages. Ref: 1860 US census, Chance's Prarie, Burleson Co., Texas. Sh# 22, dwelling # 141, family # 140.

Marriage Notes for Benjamin PORTER and Matilda WILSON:
The marriage is recorded in the book, "History of Butler County, KY". Matilda PORTER and children were recorded without Benjamin in the 1860 census of Burleson County, Texas. No evidence that he ever moved to Texas. It is assumed that he must have died before 1860. He had many wives.

Another unverified web source says they married on 27 Aug 1824??

iv. Elijah PORTER, born Abt. 1800; married Nancy ROYSTER December 01, 1818.

Re: Oliver Porter of KY

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 3:29AM GMT
The Benjamin Porter who married Elizabeth Ewing was the son of Nathaniel Porter. Benjamin and "Betsey" were first cousins as she was the daughter of Florence Porter Ewing, Nathaniel's sister. They had eight children, one of whom, James Ewing Porter was my g-g-grandfather. There are so many Benjamin Porters that it gets confusing, but I believe this is accurate. It was researched by a reliable person. If you need to reply, my mother's e-mail is tuckygranny@aol.com. She is the one who saw this posting.

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 7:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 11:50PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER, GORMAN
I am tending to agree with you. My research on Benjamin Clark Porter was a backward trace from Burleson County, Texas where I located my wife's g-grandfather, John Wilson Porter living with his mother Matilda Porter at Chances Prarie in the 1850 US Census. She listed her birth place as Kentucky. I then found the marriage record of Matilda Wilson and Benjamin Porter in the Butler County marriage records and I knew that he was the one. However, other information on this Porter line came from another researcher who had worked down from KY and his widow and children in Burleson County TX. Now, he may have had a wife prior to Matilda but I agree with you, it was not Betsey Ewing. A look at my Benjamin's wifes and children from my data base show that he had a son born in 1822 by his first wife...she must have died giving birth because he married Matilda in 1824 and they had their first child in 1825. There just does not seem to be enough time in there to fit another wife and two children.

Descendants of Benjamin Clark PORTER

1 Benjamin Clark PORTER 1795 - 1860
.. +Mary PROCTER
......... 2 Clark Thomas PORTER 1822 -
............. +Adeline HARRELD
......... *2nd Wife of Clark Thomas PORTER:
............. +Margaret Ellen AUSTIN
*2nd Wife of Benjamin Clark PORTER:
.. +Elizabeth "Betsy" EWING
......... 2 Benjamin PORTER
......... 2 David PORTER
*3rd Wife of Benjamin Clark PORTER:
.. +Matilda Jane WILSON 1804 -
......... 2 Agnes PORTER 1825 -
......... 2 Mary PORTER 1827 -
......... 2 Sarah Ann PORTER 1829 -
......... 2 Nancy Ann PORTER 1830 -
............. +?? THORP
......... 2 Angeline PORTER 1833 -
............. +?? JACKSON
......... 2 John Wilson PORTER 1836 - 1919
............. +Jepha Elizabeth DUNCAN 1841 - 1866
......... *2nd Wife of John Wilson PORTER:
............. +Ellen O. GRISHAM 1847 -
......... *3rd Wife of John Wilson PORTER:
............. +Jennie MCKINNEY
......... 2 Martha PORTER 1842 -

Re: Porter of KY

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 7:34PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2006 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Berry
Greetings, Thank you for your info on John Porter, Jr. I would love to know of your sources for the info! Do you have copies of info for John Jr. or Benjamin C for that matter? I'll be happy to pay for expenses for copying. I have an old copy of the 'History of the Porter Family by John N. Porter, Dec. 19, 1872' that was in my Grandmother's papers. I am transcribing it and other things to post for other's to access and my easy reference. If I have any info that would be of use to you just let me know, I'll be happy to share! My line is from John Jr., Benjamin C and his first marriage, Clark T, Mary Elizabeth married to Jasper Covington Berry, to John Franklin Berry in Butler County KY.
Regards,
Andrea

Posted: 8 Feb 2004 4:05AM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2005 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Blacklock
Benjamin Porter (I have the initial J.) died July 9, 1849 and is buried in the Elizabeth Chapel Cemetery, Burleson Co. TX (now very overgrown, but still there) He is listed on the 1850 mortality index as dying from bilous fever. The families began their journey in 1845, travelling in the winter to avoid any indian problems, arriving in March 1846. They were to join his brother John W. Porter, but he had died before their arrival. I have quite a bit of information on these families, I am descended from daughter, Agnes Elizabeth who married Richard Tyrus Blacklock.

Posted: 6 Oct 2008 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
To rtp071945:
I am researching this Porter line as well from the African American side. I have a copy of Benjamin Porter's estate in October of 1849 in Burleson, Texas. Listed on it are a few Negro men. The man I am interested in is Reason, who at the time was 16 years old.
I have a Reason Porter, who was owned by Benjamin's son Clark T. Porter in 1855, in my family line. He is my gggg-grandfather.
Would you happen to know what Matilda did with the "property," which would have included 16-year-old Reason? ANY information would help.

You can contact me at renettadubose@yahoo.com

Thank you

Re: Wheres the porter's from allen,ky

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 2:57AM GMT
My grand father, George Wilson Porter, born in Illinois in around 1883. His father was Reas Porter, born in Indiana. Reas's father, name unknown, was supposed to be born in Kentucy and move to Indiana to cut timber. George married Ethel Mosley in Illinois and father 12 children that grew to adulthood. My mother his third child was Emma Porter. would be a total miracle to figure this out.

Blessings,

Barb

Re: Wheres the porter's from allen,ky

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: porter
my father was walker porter son of Elijah porter I think oliver was Elijah's brother
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions